Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gnome Fallback - Virtual Desktop Switching option?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Gnome Fallback - Virtual Desktop Switching option?

I'm on gnome-fallback mode just to get more synapse-oriented (giving myself a break from unity), and what bothered me is the apparent lack of a desktop switcher or some shortcut to do it. I only have one box at the bottom-right corner, not the typical 4 boxes for desktop switching.

I am also unaware of a keyboard shortcut that would allow me to move around. Just as, in Unity, Super+S brings up the virtual screens and Ctrl+Alt+<Arrow Keys> moves between the screens, is there a similar way to do this in Gnome-Fallback?

Why is gnome-fallback called the way it is? Why can't it be gnome-classic?
    Last edited by epikvision; May 23rd, 2013 at 12:27 AM.
    John J. Kim (IRC: kotux)
    High School Senior / Ubuntu User # 35405
    www.launchpad.net/~kotux
    "Let your performance do the thinking." --Charlotte Bronte

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Gnome Fallback - Virtual Desktop Switching option?

It is called Fall-back because that is what is it, a fall back mode which the OS falls back to for computers that do not have the hardware to run Gnome shell in 3D mode. In Ubuntu 12.04 the fall back mode is Unity 2D. But in 12.10 and later Ubuntu uses something called llvmpipe to give a 3D session. This means that there is no fall back mode in Ubuntu any more and this is true also for Gnome 3 Shell. Which is why Gnome developers are no longer supporting the fall back mode.

http://www.webupd8.org/2012/11/fallb...ion-to-be.html

The way to get something of look of Gnome Fall-back but not necessarily the functionality is through Gnome Extensions.

http://www.webupd8.org/2013/02/a-qui...e-classic.html

Regards.
    It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.
    Ubuntu user #33,200. Linux user #530,530

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by grahammechanical View Post
    It is called Fall-back because that is what is it, a fall back mode which the OS falls back to for computers that do not have the hardware to run Gnome shell in 3D mode. In Ubuntu 12.04 the fall back mode is Unity 2D. But in 12.10 and later Ubuntu uses something called llvmpipe to give a 3D session. This means that there is no fall back mode in Ubuntu any more and this is true also for Gnome 3 Shell. Which is why Gnome developers are no longer supporting the fall back mode.

http://www.webupd8.org/2012/11/fallb...ion-to-be.html

The way to get something of look of Gnome Fall-back but not necessarily the functionality is through Gnome Extensions.

http://www.webupd8.org/2013/02/a-qui...e-classic.html

Regards.
    I'm very happy with gnome-session-fallback (no effects) from 3.8...

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by epikvision View Post
    The developers that made it called it GNOME Fallback. Now that those developers have created something new in GNOME 3.8 called GNOME Classic, we can't use that name anymore.

Anyway, new developers are involved with Fallback and it will probably be renamed Flashback soon: https://live.gnome.org/GnomeFlashback

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I'm on gnome-fallback mode just to get more synapse-oriented (giving myself a break from unity), and what bothered me is the apparent lack of a desktop switcher or some shortcut to do it. I only have one box at the bottom-right corner, not the typical 4 boxes for desktop switching.

I am also unaware of a keyboard shortcut that would allow me to move around. Just as, in Unity, Super+S brings up the virtual screens and Ctrl+Alt+<Arrow Keys> moves between the screens, is there a similar way to do this in Gnome-Fallback?

I'm not certain that my reply addresses your queries.....
    I started using Ubuntu (12.10) on an ancient laptop that was unable to effectively support unity because it was extremely sluggish. I installed gnome session fall back and was pretty happy with the responsiveness and functionality.

When I moved onto my more modern computer I simply duplicated the experience but on a much faster 64 bit machine. When I tried Unity I discovered that it ran perfectly on my HP tower, but I really didn't prefer the functionality (or at least my perception). I have since installed the cinnamon add on to Ubuntu 13.04 and found that I like it's presentation and functionality just great.

Cinnamon for Raring is available in the software center - I have no knowledge concerning availability for previous versions ... I did try in for Saucy (13.10) and it didn't work. I'm not too concerned because Saucy is development for now.
    HP | Intel iCore 7 3.2Ghz | 12 Gb mem | SSD Win7 | HDD Trusty | Mate 16.04
    Dell laptop | Intel iCore 3 2.1Ghz | 4 Gb mem | MATE 16.04 + Win 7
    Regards, Pete

Beans
    Distro

Ok, so far, I would like to know how I can have 4 virtual desktop options. I'm just limited to one.

http://imgur.com/eWfNYbY
    Last edited by epikvision; May 20th, 2013 at 04:09 PM. Reason: the bottom bar.
    www.launchpad.net/~kotux

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Ok, so far, I would like to know how I can have 4 virtual desktop options. I'm just limited to one.

http://imgur.com/eWfNYbY
    How did you install fallback?
    I did a sudo apt-get install gnome-session-fallback
    then at my login I choose fallback (no effect) and that gives 4 virtual desktops not just one
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by kuvanito View Post
    How did you install fallback?
    I did a sudo apt-get install gnome-session-fallback
    then at my login I choose fallback (no effect) and that gives 4 virtual desktops not just one
    It was available by default. Perhaps, this is a bug?
    www.launchpad.net/~kotux

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

In Precise I have what's labelled, Gnome Classic (no effects). If I right click the workspace changer on the panel, it gives me preferences which allow me to set the number of virtual desktops. You cannot do that?
    "Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects." Will Rogers

Beans
    Distro

Talking Re: Gnome Fallback - Virtual Desktop Switching option?

Quote Originally Posted by Buntu Bunny View Post
    In Precise I have what's labelled, Gnome Classic (no effects). If I right click the workspace changer on the panel, it gives me preferences which allow me to set the number of virtual desktops. You cannot do that?
    Checking out gnome-fallback (no effects), I noticed it comes with 4 virtual desktops by default. On gnome-fallback, I had to right-click the workspace changer for more virtual desktops. At least it worked. Now, I'm free to use synapse without unity. Thanks!

Now, the question is how can I switch between the virtual desktops exclusively with the keyboard. Super+S does something bizarre, and Super+Control+Left, Right won't take me switch me around as it would in Unity.
    Last edited by epikvision; May 22nd, 2013 at 02:39 PM. Reason: added a question
    www.launchpad.net/~kotux

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast