Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Printing with Windows XP in Virtual Box

Beans

Re: Printing with Windows XP in Virtual Box

Quote Originally Posted by sudodus View Post
    It is possible but tricky to get the USB connection in VirtualBox. You need to tweak it a little and try different settings. Anyway, can you connect to any USB device at all? For example a USB pendrive? In that case it should be possible to connect also to a USB writer.

Did you notice the small icon for USB connections on the bottom panel of the virtual machine window? Right-click on it to connect to a USB device.

I am talking about a connection between Windows in VirtualBox and a USB connected printer (connected to the host machine). You should not connect via CUPS.

You need the printer driver for that particular Windows version as if it were a normal installation of Windows.
    I did notice the small icon USB connections. When I right click on it and pick what I think is the proper USB device I get that same screen as shown above.
    Thanks

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by rewyllys View Post
    When you're in Windows XP in VirtualBox, click on "Devices" in the VirtualBox menu, and then choose the option "USB Devices". You will be shown one or more boxes with device names. Click on the box corresponding to the printer. That should establish the connection.
    When I do this I get the same warning as posted above (screen shot).

Thanks for your help

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
    Run samba on the host to share the printer, then connect to it from the Windows guest.
    Ok so I downloaded Samba. But I don't have a clue how to connect to it from the VM guest.

Thanks

monkeybrain2012 is offline Grande Half-n-Half Cinnamon Ubuntu
    Beans

Is there any reason why you cannot print from Ubuntu?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by monkeybrain2012 View Post
    Is there any reason why you cannot print from Ubuntu?
    I'm sorry I did not mean to mislead. I can print from Ubuntu but not from the VM. I would just copy and paste but QB will not allow that, and I cannot email from QB.

Thanks

Beans
    Hidden!

- How did you install the extension pack?

- Can you connect to any USB device, for example a pendrive?

- If no go, you may need to uninstall and reinstall virtualbox. See also post #4.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by sudodus View Post
    - How did you install the extension pack?

- Can you connect to any USB device, for example a pendrive?

- If no go, you may need to uninstall and reinstall virtualbox. See also post #4.
    I installed the latest version of Virtual Box from the prompt screen that appears when I open VB. After I installed that another prompt screen appeared to install the extension pack, so I did this as well.
    I can connect a USB memory stick and it will indicate it is connected and let me "look" in it. This is how I was able to move my Quick Books files into QB on the VM.

However this is not the same USB port (?) that my printer is connected to. When I click on the USB icon at the bottom right it shows an unkown device connected to a USB port (back of computer). When I try to use this (I am fairly certain it is the printer) the computer stops all activity for about 10 seconds the screen goes slighty dull and then the warning prompt that I attached in another post pops up.

Thanks for your help

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by Shallowmind View Post
    I installed the latest version of Virtual Box from the prompt screen that appears when I open VB. After I installed that another prompt screen appeared to install the extension pack, so I did this as well.
    I can connect a USB memory stick and it will indicate it is connected and let me "look" in it. This is how I was able to move my Quick Books files into QB on the VM.

However this is not the same USB port (?) that my printer is connected to. When I click on the USB icon at the bottom right it shows an unkown device connected to a USB port (back of computer). When I try to use this (I am fairly certain it is the printer) the computer stops all activity for about 10 seconds the screen goes slighty dull and then the warning prompt that I attached in another post pops up.

Thanks for your help
    You can connect a USB memory stick and it will indicate it is connected and let me "look" in it. This means that USB is working for you. This is a big step forward

The next step is to recognize the USB printer. You have to install the Windows driver for that particular printer, like you have to do in a regular Windows installed directly into a computer. Install it from a CD or a downloaded file into your Windows inside Virtualbox! Then the printer should be recognized in a similar way as your USB memory stick.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

I have a similar setup, and found that I needed to define filters in the VBox USB settings to trap the USB ports away from the host system and assign them to the VM. I could then install my printers (an HP laser and an Epson all-in-one) in WinXP just as if it were an initial installation in a physical device, using the HP and Epson CDs. With this approach, I cannot print direct via CUPS from the host system -- but by setting the printers to be shared by the XP VM, and configuring CUPS on the host to look for them as network printers, can now print from both systems.

When I tried the other approach, with the printers being driven by the host system, shared, and the XP VM using them as network printers, I was able to print plain text but most of the special features of the printers were missing. Doing it as I describe here left all the special features intact. The trick, I believe, is to define those filters as described in the VBox manual and help screens, so that the VM takes over the ports with no interference by the host system.
    Last edited by JKyleOKC; May 24th, 2013 at 07:55 PM. Reason: fat-fingered
    --
    Jim Kyle in Oklahoma, USA
    Linux Counter #259718
    Howto mark thread: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UnansweredPo.../SolvedThreads

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12