Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Printing with Windows XP in Virtual Box

Beans

Printing with Windows XP in Virtual Box

Hello
    I have tried everything I can think to print from Windows XP but I cannot make it work. I thought that connecting my printer to the same USB port that I used to get information into my Windows XP virtual machine would give me access to my printer. But that does not seem to be the case.

So what can I do to print from the VM?

Or how can I save files from the VM (Win XP) onto a USB memory disk and then open them in Ubuntu for printing? Is this even possible?

What I need to print are reports and files from QuickBooks for my tax man.

Thanks

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: Printing with Windows XP in Virtual Box

You need to be member of the vboxusers group in the host operating system

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/VirtualBox/USB

and you need to install the extension pack

https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Downloads

https://forums.virtualbox.org/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=36752

Beans

Install vb from the website and not the repos. Then install the ext pack. Reboot computer and youll be good to go.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Er, you can add the vbox repo to the list of repos you use and then install vbox from the repos. https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Linux_Downloads has instructions for that, under Debian-based Linux distributions. Then you can go back to https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Downloads and get the VirtualBox 4.2.12 Oracle VM VirtualBox Extension Pack as holycow131415 suggested.

Now, if you want both machines to print to the same printer, you could setup the printer in ubuntu so it can be accessed in the network and then have XP look for a network printer.
    Last edited by supremedalek; May 20th, 2013 at 06:07 PM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by supremedalek View Post

Now, if you want both machines to print to the same printer, you could setup the printer in ubuntu so it can be accessed in the network and then have XP look for a network printer.

This is what I would like to do. But I'm not sure how to on either Ubuntu or Windows.

Thanks for all your replies.

Beans

OK. So I am a member of the vboxusersgroup. And I have updated and got extension packs for Virtual Box. This changed nothing.
    I tried the CUPS approach. But the VM (windows XP) will not connect to that at all. It is like it doesn't even recognize it at all.

Then when I boot the VM I get the message that is shown in the screen shot: See attachment

Does this have anything to do with the problem?

Thanks
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Run samba on the host to share the printer, then connect to it from the Windows guest.
    If you ask for help, do not abandon your request. Please have the courtesy to check for responses and thank the people who helped you.

Blog · Linode System Administration Guides · Android Apps for Ubuntu Users

Beans
    Hidden!

It is possible but tricky to get the USB connection in VirtualBox. You need to tweak it a little and try different settings. Anyway, can you connect to any USB device at all? For example a USB pendrive? In that case it should be possible to connect also to a USB writer.

Did you notice the small icon for USB connections on the bottom panel of the virtual machine window? Right-click on it to connect to a USB device.

I am talking about a connection between Windows in VirtualBox and a USB connected printer (connected to the host machine). You should not connect via CUPS.

You need the printer driver for that particular Windows version as if it were a normal installation of Windows.

Beans

When you're in Windows XP in VirtualBox, click on "Devices" in the VirtualBox menu, and then choose the option "USB Devices". You will be shown one or more boxes with device names. Click on the box corresponding to the printer. That should establish the connection.

Beans

Everyone thanks for the replies.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast