Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Installing Ubuntu 13.10 with Windows 8 on Asus Vivobook (A400C)

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Re: Installing Ubuntu 13.10 with Windows 8 on Asus Vivobook (A400C)

Your wish is my command. Thread title changed. It only appears on the first post, not the rest, but the new title is what will appear when people see it on the forum lists.

If the USB is recognisable in Windows and boot Wubi fine but won't boot when you install 12.04 or the others, I'd imagine it is skipping over the USB because it can't find anything bootable on the USB. How are you creating the USB installer? The problem may lie there as the machine is not seeing the USB as bootable media. Wubi is a different kettle of fish so installing Wubi vs installing Ubuntu to it's own partition from bootable media are not comparable.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by cdoebbler View Post
    Thanks but tread is irrelevant as it is about creating USB ISO which I have done fine. I can boot from it on my HP Mini100c running Ubuntu 12.10, but not on the i5 Windows machine.

Try burning the .iso image to DVD and then boot from there. I know it is waste of a DVD .. but you can try it.

Edit:

Sorry .. does not have a DVD ! ;(
    Last edited by ventrical; May 24th, 2013 at 05:14 PM.
    This is Rolling Release
    Warnings for New Beta Testers& Helpful Terminal Commands:
    Running 16.04 on Mobo: MSI model: B85-G41 PC Mate(MS-7850) v: 1.0

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Bucky Ball View Post
    Your wish is my command. Thread title changed. It only appears on the first post, not the rest, but the new title is what will appear when people see it on the forum lists.

If the USB is recognisable in Windows and boot Wubi fine but won't boot when you install 12.04 or the others, I'd imagine it is skipping over the USB because it can't find anything bootable on the USB. How are you creating the USB installer? The problem may lie there as the machine is not seeing the USB as bootable media. Wubi is a different kettle of fish so installing Wubi vs installing Ubuntu to it's own partition from bootable media are not comparable.

The op said :

"
    Created it using Ubuntu download and Windows 8 ISO burner and checksum matched fine. "

Which I think would be a problem right off .. but the OP also said that the USB boots fine on other PCs
    This is Rolling Release
    Warnings for New Beta Testers& Helpful Terminal Commands:
    Running 16.04 on Mobo: MSI model: B85-G41 PC Mate(MS-7850) v: 1.0

Beans

I have tried clean install with iso downloaded from Ubuntu.com and Wubi. On clean install Windows just bots by-passing USB, even when I go to bios and set boot from USB. On Wubi Ubuntu installs (versions 12.04 to 13.04...there is no Wubi support for 13.10 hat I can see) and even gives me Windows' dual boot screen, but then when I try to boot from dual boot screen I get error message as reported above. For some reason this machine just does not want to boot Ubuntu from a USB.

I will try digging up an old external CD/DVD player/burner I think I still have and see if that works, but any help on USB would still be welcome.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

I'd suggest you stop trying to install using wubi, as it will never work, as wubi isn't compatible with Windows 8. You can check the Ubuntu-dev mailing list for more details

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by cariboo907 View Post
    I'd suggest you stop trying to install using wubi, as it will never work, as wubi isn't compatible with Windows 8.
    +1. As mentioned, forget Wubi.

Beans
    Distro

Google is your friend

Ubuntu Asus Vivobook

Beans

Thanks for the link, but all I found was a bunch of people admitting defeat. I cannot believe Ubuntu does not run dual-boot on the Asus A400C Vivobook with Windows 8 pre-installed. If I missed something please correct me.

Beans
    Hidden!

Ask the vendor or ask Asus (or if there is an asus web forum, ask about it there). Ask for example how to boot into another mode than UEFI or how to install dual boot Windows 8 and linux.

Or wait until oldfred is back from his vacation. I'm afraid we have no solution for you at this moment.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Or start doing some research in preparation:

http://www.dogpile.com/info.dogpl.t8...buntu+uefi&ql=

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast