Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dual boot - Cannot Boot Windows

Beans

Dual boot - Cannot Boot Windows

Hi, I'm new to Ubuntu so I bought a magazine dedicated to beginners on how to dual boot Ubuntu and a version of Windows. I completed this fine but now I am unable to boot in Windows (Vista). From the research I've done I think that GRUB might be looking at the recovery partition instead of the main OS partition. Maybe I'm wrong? When I try to boot into Windows I get the recovery console window and set of options. However, while I am in ubuntu I can see the Windows drive and all of my files are intact. Please help!
    Last edited by sandyd; May 21st, 2013 at 08:15 AM. Reason: more appropriate title

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Please Help

The first time I dual booted my laptop Windows was a bit 'funny'. I had to stuff around a little to get it working properly again. When you select the Windows bootloader, what options do you get?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Albury_Boy View Post
    The first time I dual booted my laptop Windows was a bit 'funny'. I had to stuff around a little to get it working properly again. When you select the Windows bootloader, what options do you get?

The Microsoft Load bar on the bottom but then it goes to the screen with the recovery options such as command prompt, system restore, disk check for errors, etc.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate Development Release

Did you make the mistake of using the installer SLIDER to shrink Vista to make room for Ubuntu? If so, you likely corrupted the Vista boot loader and that now prevents it from booting.

When you get into the Recovery screen, see if there is a Repair Install option. If so, run that three times, that's right, three times. That will restore Vista booting but you'll then have to repair GRUB to get access back to Ubuntu.
    Ubuntu 20.04, Mint 19.10; MS Win10 Pro.
    Will not respond to PM requests for support -- use the forums.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Yeah. I dual boot Win7/Ubuntu, and I used the slider too. This was a couple of years ago, so I can't remember the exact procedure. I remember using the repair install option (not sure about the three times thing). It fixed Windows and it would work fine, but then GRUB disappeared. Then I fixed GRUB. It all settled down in the end.

My best advice is, when you get it working properly again, image your drive so you can re-install everything if you screw it up. Oh.. and avoid upgrading the Ubuntu distro until it's absolutely necessary.

Beans

try getting a recovery disk or an installation CD and use them to get a command prompt , or any how just try getting a command prompt and type these :
    bootrec.exe/FixBoot
    (press enter)
    bootrec.exe/FixMbr
    (press enter)

reboot

in simple words this will make windows bootloader to boot before grub/grub2
    so once you get into windows,
    you can either think of removing ubuntu or installing a software that can deal with multiboot like BSD

Beans

Re: Dual boot - Cannot Boot Windows

Thanks for the tips, and yes I did use the slider to adjust the partition size. I will use the repair option three times as suggested.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Phelps View Post
    Did you make the mistake of using the installer SLIDER to shrink Vista to make room for Ubuntu? If so, you likely corrupted the Vista boot loader and that now prevents it from booting.

When you get into the Recovery screen, see if there is a Repair Install option. If so, run that three times, that's right, three times. That will restore Vista booting but you'll then have to repair GRUB to get access back to Ubuntu.

There is a startup repair utility. I'm guessing this is the repair install you are talking about? I didn't bother doing a backup of the Windows partition simply because nothing on there was needed. Since I'm new to Linux I did use the slider but after doing research I'm seeing many newbies have troubles dual booting with Windows, especially Windows 8.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by SylntWlf View Post
    There is a startup repair utility. I'm guessing this is the repair install you are talking about? I didn't bother doing a backup of the Windows partition simply because nothing on there was needed. Since I'm new to Linux I did use the slider but after doing research I'm seeing many newbies have troubles dual booting with Windows, especially Windows 8.
    Windows 8 is an entirely different set of problems, some SERIOUS, because the machines that come preloaded use UEFI (instead of MBR) boot and often have secure boot enabled. It is a LOT of work to get those dual-booting, and if that is what you have, you will need to wait until someone comes along that understands the details of UEFI booting and secure-boot. Sorry
    Ubuntu 20.04, Mint 19.10; MS Win10 Pro.
    Will not respond to PM requests for support -- use the forums.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Re: Dual boot - Cannot Boot Windows

With Vista the os-prober often mis-identified the recovery and main install. Entries were often reversed in grub menu. Have you tried booting the recovery mode boot option in grub menu. That may be your install.

If not the case, then we may need to see details. But Boot-Repair will not fix Windows most Windows issues which need a Windows repair CD or flash drive.

Post the link to the BootInfo report that this creates. Is part of Boot-Repair:
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Boot-Info
    UEFI boot install & repair info - Regularly Updated :
    https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to change to [Solved] when/if answered completely.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast