Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Confused as to what this means

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Re: Confused as to what this means

Quote Originally Posted by rossjohn07 View Post
    I'm still used to installing things the Mac way where I just easily download a dmg file for any program and it adds it to my application page easily. I think I need to do some more browsing on the internet to really understand the nature of this. I'm sure it's not too difficult.
    There are three main ways of installing applications in Ubuntu.
    1. Use the Ubuntu Software Centre
    Consider the Mac App Store in this instance. Whereas with OS X, you will have most of the applications you require available here, and others are available online, the Ubuntu Software Centre (USC) can have its database of applications updated. To do so, the database - the sources.list file you've been editing - needs to be modified. The application called 'apt' sorts all the application installation (and removal) business. The USC is just a good looking (and uncomplicated) way of using it.
    2. Use a .deb package file.
    These are much like the dmg files you'll find in OS X and work in much the same way. They open with USC but can also be installed with a Terminal
    Code:
    sudo dpkg -i [package].deb
    3. Use the Terminal.
    By adding the application to sources.list (as others have already alluded to), running the update and then running an install procedure. It's one of the more efficient, but if you don't know what you're doing, can lead to more problems.

But ever since I tried adding Google Chrome (successfully), Adobe Reader (unsuccessfully) - my laptop has been functioning much differently. Now my screen won't even dim and when I close my laptop down, the laptop won't even sleep. The brightness keys seem to not even dim my laptop anymore. And when I start my laptop up it's not as fast as when I had Mac OSX [I guess since it's making the transition to Linux].
    I'm not sure if you knew, but Ubuntu comes with its own PDF reader. If you press the Command key (I think) or the big button at the top of the panel on the left and type 'Document Viewer', that brings it up. Or, launch it from a Terminal using 'evince' (without quotes). Often, the big-name applications such as Adobe Reader and Photoshop have counterparts for Ubuntu: evince and GIMP, respectively.
    I'm unsure why your hardware would be acting strange, but there may be some updates available or additional drivers required. Try removing some other applications that may be the source (but make sure you know what you're removing before you remove it!)

It also seems like Software Center is hit or miss; if there's an unknown app on there this is foreign, or that is not listed like Adobe Reader, I usually have to use Terminal. Also when I try to install anything foreign via the Software Center I tend to get errors. It seems like I always migrate back to Terminal even though I should be going through other areas.
    As I mentioned earlier, the database (sources.list) might need updating to make other applications show up. When you need to do this, run one of the commands others have mentioned to edit it, then run
    Code:
    sudo apt-get update
    to let Ubuntu know the database has been updated.
    Errors may be in the form of dependencies, in other words, some applications require other applications to be installed before they can be installed. Often, you'll be recommended to install all of them at once, which is a good idea.
    Currently running: elementary Freya. Have experience in Ubuntu up to 14.04. (Started in 8.04)
    Student. Reader. Writer. Theatre-goer. I poke around in Linux from time to time, too.
    2.16Ghz Quad Core, 4GB RAM, 500GB HDD.

Beans

Re: Confused as to what this means

After running
    Code:
    sudo nano /etc/apt/sources.list
    I found this in the code. So, I assume that I must uncomment it and leave it there in the code. Or must I put this with all the Canonical stuff?

Code:
    ## Uncomment the following two lines to add software from Canonical's## 'partner' repository.
    ## This software is not part of Ubuntu, but is offered by Canonical and the
    ## respective vendors as a service to Ubuntu users.
     deb http://archive.canonical.com/ubuntu precise partner
     deb-src http://archive.canonical.com/ubuntu precise partner
    After uncommenting the lines above and leaving them where they were originally in the code, then running
    Code:
     sudo apt-get update
    I receive this message at the end of the page stating:

Code:
    W: Failed to fetch http://archive.canonical.com/ubuntu/dists/precise/Release  Unable to find expected entry 'precise/binary-amd64/Packages' in Release file (Wrong sources.list entry or malformed file)

E: Some index files failed to download. They have been ignored, or old ones used instead.
    Why is it that after each deb-src../ubuntu I need a '/' does every deb need a '/' after ubuntu?

Thank you for the help. I'm a EE, I should know these kinds of things. Slowly but surely the light bulb will go off.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12