Thread: Installation issues with Intel Rapid Storage Technology

Beans

Installation issues with Intel Rapid Storage Technology

Hi,
    I am trying to install Ubuntu 13.04 to dual boot with Windows 8 (not factory installed) on my Lenovo u310 laptop. The laptop has a 32GB SSD cache that uses Intel's Rapid Storage Technology in addition to a 500GB HDD. At first, the installer was unable to see the HDD, and after a little bit of research, I found that running the command
    Code:
    sudo dmraid -E -r /dev/sdb
    fixed the issue of the HDD being seen by the installer, so I ran the installer, and installation completed. After restarting, I now get a Intel Rapid Storage Technology display that lists RAID volumes and Physical devices, along with a prompt to press CTRL +I to enter configuration utility. The RAID volumes and physical devices listed are as follows:
    RAID Volumes:
    ID Name Level Strip Size Status Bootable
    0 FFS RAID0(Stripe) 128KB 8.0GB Normal Yes
    1 CACHE RAID0(Cache) 128KB 21.8GB Disabled No
    Physical Devices:
    ID Device Model Serial # Size Type/Status(Vol ID)
    0 SAMSUNG MZMPC032 S0Y2NEAC643027 29.8GB Cache Disk(0,1)
    1 ST500LT012-9WS14 W0V0Q2Z4 465.7GB Non-RAID Disk

If I don't press CTRL+I, booting fails, and I am brought to a screen to select boot device, and this list contains:
    1. RAID DEVICE2: ST500LT012-9WS14
    2. RAID DEVICE1: INTEL FFS
    3. PCI LAN: Realtek PXE B02 D00

I've tried the first two options, although I believe that the first one should be the correct option. Neither one works, I am just brought back to this menu after it attempts to boot.

I tried using Boot-Repair, but after restarting, I still get the same results as before. Here is the configuration detected by Boot-Repair before I ran it: http://paste.ubuntu.com/5680351/ . This is after I ran it: http://paste.ubuntu.com/5680386/.

I think what happened is that when I ran the dmraid -E -r command, that I erased the RAID data needed for IRST. I would appreciate any help in order to get this working. I don't mind completely reinstalling Windows and Ubuntu from scratch if I have to.

Thanks
    Last edited by KKuff; May 20th, 2013 at 01:20 PM.

Beans

Re: Installation issues with Intel Rapid Storage Technology

So I was able to get it working without reinstalling Windows. I went into BIOS and disabled UFEI, changed the SATA controller from RAID to ACHI, and disabled Intel Rapid Storage Technology. Then I booted from the Ubuntu live usb and used fdisk to remove the partitions that I created to install Ubuntu. I ran the dmraid -E -r command on both drives, then reinstalled Ubuntu, this time choosing the "Alongside other operating system" option instead of "Something else". Ubuntu installed successfully, and I was able to boot into Ubuntu or Windows 8. But now, Windows 8 would just go into "Auto Repair". I went into BIOS and changed all of the previous settings back, except for UFEI. Then I tried to boot Windows again, and did a system restore from the auto repair menu. The system restore was succesful and I was able to boot into both Windows and Ubuntu. After this, I went into IRST inside Windows, and reenabled acceleration using the SSD as a cache. Everything seems to be working fine now.

Also, there is some useful information here: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2129157&page=2 , that I wish I found before I started doing this.

Beans

Re: Installation issues with Intel Rapid Storage Technology

Quote Originally Posted by KKuff View Post
    So I was able to get it working without reinstalling Windows. I went into BIOS and disabled UFEI, changed the SATA controller from RAID to ACHI, and disabled Intel Rapid Storage Technology. Then I booted from the Ubuntu live usb and used fdisk to remove the partitions that I created to install Ubuntu. I ran the dmraid -E -r command on both drives, then reinstalled Ubuntu, this time choosing the "Alongside other operating system" option instead of "Something else". Ubuntu installed successfully, and I was able to boot into Ubuntu or Windows 8. But now, Windows 8 would just go into "Auto Repair". I went into BIOS and changed all of the previous settings back, except for UFEI. Then I tried to boot Windows again, and did a system restore from the auto repair menu. The system restore was succesful and I was able to boot into both Windows and Ubuntu. After this, I went into IRST inside Windows, and reenabled acceleration using the SSD as a cache. Everything seems to be working fine now.

Also, there is some useful information here: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2129157&page=2 , that I wish I found before I started doing this.
    is your Ubunutu installation running on a separate partition with ext4?