Thread: 2 problems

Beans

Angry 2 problems

1, I think I have picked up a virus. 2, I have downloaded Chrome, but can't install it. Running 12.04. Apparently, Bing and Firefox have both become virus-prone. I wanted to switch to Chrome, which is now considered one the the safest browsers, but, as stated, can't install it.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Re: 2 problems

i highly doubt it is a virus
    what is the error message?
    when you say chrome to you mean chromium or google chrome
    Laptop: ASUS A54C-NB91 (Storage: WD3200BEKT + MKNSSDCR60GB-DX); Desktop: Custom Build - Images included; rPi Server
    Putting your Networked Printer's scanner software to shame PHP Scanner Server
    I frequently edit my post when I have the last post

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

1. Highly doubt you have a virus on Linux. What makes you think you have one?

2. What did you do to try to install Chrome? All you have to do is go to chrome.google.com and click the Install button. Choose whether you are running 32-bit or 64-bit Ubuntu, and it will download. Double-click on the package it downloads and then click the Install button, and put in your password.

Or alternatively, you can use Chromium which is the open-source version of Google Chrome; just as secure as Google Chrome. You can install Chromium through the Software Center.
    I try to treat the cause, not the symptom. I avoid the terminal in instructions, unless it's easier or necessary. My instructions will work within the Ubuntu system, instead of breaking or subverting it. Those are the three guarantees to the helpee.

Beans

Please post more detailed error log and more information.
    Just because you can't run something, it doesn't mean that your computer has a virus.

Try this command:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install chromium-browser
    Enter your password and see if you can install the browser. Send error messages otherwise.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Gnome 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Quote Originally Posted by MMcQuown View Post
    1, I think I have picked up a virus. 2, I have downloaded Chrome, but can't install it. Running 12.04. Apparently, Bing and Firefox have both become virus-prone. I wanted to switch to Chrome, which is now considered one the the safest browsers, but, as stated, can't install it.
    We need more information in order to help you:

1.-you say you got a virus, what is the fact to assure it?, what strange behaviour are you detecting, if any?.

2.- What are the OS and the web browser you were running?, what web page?.

3.- Bing and google are not browsers, they are search engines. Firefox is a browser and very much secure in linux.

4.- About installing google chrome, you will have to download the google chrome browser deb package according to your system (32 or 64 bits) from here: https://www.google.com/intl/es/chrom...platform=linux, then click on accept and install and google chrome browser will be installed. I doubt it is less prone to virus or trojans than firefox in linux. Firefox has a lot os add ons to do it very much secure.

Beans

Angry Re: 2 problems

Running 12.04, Firefox. Intermittent slowdowns, programs running in the background, pauses in videos.
    Tried installation in the shell, everything seemed to be OK. Got a long string of actions which eventually stopped. But when I got back into the desktop, there was no sign of anything Chrome. Couldn't find it in the installation history, no ikon anywhere. I'd like to upgrade to 13.04, but now I'm more than a little nervous. I have found 12.04 difficult because I can't find anything. Right now, for instance, everything is opening up into full screen mode. I had wanted to drag some pictures into a document, but I can't see the pics when the document is open. Used to, gmail and documents were opening up to about half the page. I've tried playing with the full screen command in View, but all that does is manipulate the size of the text within the document.
    Before I forget, thanks to everyone who has responded. I love Linux as compared to W******, but most of the time I end up feeling stupid.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

On Linux, programs don't dump themselves onto the desktop. They go neatly into the Dash. Right-click the Ubuntu button on the left bar and choose Applications, then click Show All Results or type "chrome" to find it.

To unmaximise a window, either click the Maximise button in the left of thr top panel, or drag downwards from the top panel.

Your symptoms do not match what a virus or malware would cause to your computer.
    I try to treat the cause, not the symptom. I avoid the terminal in instructions, unless it's easier or necessary. My instructions will work within the Ubuntu system, instead of breaking or subverting it. Those are the three guarantees to the helpee.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

For many newcomers, the idea of not having to search for and download most applications manually, seems strange.
    And, coming from Windows, this is ofcourse logical. The Ubuntu Software Center is something you could compare to
    Google Play or the AppStore from Apple. A lot of software is already available this way. Just click install and it will
    automatically download and install the application for you.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

This should help you out a bit with navigation etc.
    https://help.ubuntu.com/12.04/ubuntu-help/index.html
    Castles Made of Sand,
    Fall in the Sea,
    Eventually!