Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: constant errors file system

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: constant errors file system

Quote Originally Posted by mrajdl View Post
    Ok new plan, I forgot about Monday being a holiday so no CDs until Tuesday. I have a 4 gig HD of the 40 pin connector type, set it up as a slave and hook it up to the CD-ROM cable. The BIOS identifies it correctly, but it gets mounted read only. All I want to do is wipe it clean and use it for backup. Can this be done at the root shell?
    Does this machine have a USB port? I would by a 8GB or better yet a 16GB flash drive to backup the data. A 16GB flash stick is under $20.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

I thought I would be done with this problem today, but the .iso is to big for the the CD-R, so I ordered 1 DVD-R, I only ordered 1 cause I never done dvds with this drive. I feel so stupid I worked for the creators of CD technology, Philips the first CD-Rs on the market were $40 a CD. I just bought a 100 for $20.
    You can use a flash drive to install the OS as well if you want to. The technology has changed a lot. The first hard drive I owned was a "hard card" 20MB device. I believe it was $200. Things have changed a lot.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by redmk2 View Post
    Does this machine have a USB port? I would by a 8GB or better yet a 16GB flash drive to backup the data. A 16GB flash stick is under $20.
    Yes it has a USB ports, never used flash drives, don't even know what they look like, sucks getting old

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Yes it has a USB ports, never used flash drives, don't even know what they look like, sucks getting old
    I know what you mean. I'm retired myself. I just have to keep up with the latest trends. Flash drives have been around since 2000. It looks like we may see 1TB drives this year. See here for some background and pictures.

Beans

I know what you mean. I'm retired myself. I just have to keep up with the latest trends. Flash drives have been around since 2000. It looks like we may see 1TB drives this year. See here for some background and pictures.
    Also have a flash drive on order, just went with a 2 gig for $3.99. I remember reading an article way back on Windows NT, the author wrote "NT has support for a ridiculously large hard drive 4 gig", of course in those days a 1 gig was about a $1,000 bucks, crap have things changed....

Beans

Ok got my flash drive today, it's recognized, but why is not empty???? Not sure what to do, can I erase what's on it? Then create a startup disk? Never used one before, amazed how small it is!!!!

Mike

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Ok got my flash drive today, it's recognized, but why is not empty???? Not sure what to do, can I erase what's on it? Then create a startup disk? Never used one before, amazed how small it is!!!!

Mike
    I can't say for sure, but some of the flash drive manufactures provide value added software. Usually it's for Windows users. FYI: The drive is most likely formated FAT32 (vFAT). Most OS's recognize this file system.

There are 2 ways to make Ubuntu bootable flash drives. One is most likely already on your Ubuntu system It is called "Startup Disk Creator". The other one is "Unetbootin". It is available in the repos.

Beans

I can't say for sure, but some of the flash drive manufactures provide value added software. Usually it's for Windows users. FYI: The drive is most likely formated FAT32 (vFAT). Most OS's recognize this file system.

There are 2 ways to make Ubuntu bootable flash drives. One is most likely already on your Ubuntu system It is called "Startup Disk Creator". The other one is "Unetbootin". It is available in the repos.
    Thanks, the flash drive worked great, new hd installed all looks good.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234