Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Installing Mathematica on Ubuntu 13.04

monkeybrain2012 is offline Grande Half-n-Half Cinnamon Ubuntu
    Beans

Re: Installing Mathematica on Ubuntu 13.04

So you are using WUBI. You downloaded a Windows installer which is an .exe file, and installed in your C drive, this means inside the WIndows file system (Linux doesn't use terminology like "C drive". ). WUBI is a demo that installed inside Windows to give you a taste of Ubuntu, but it is not a real installation and not meant for serious use. It has many limitations and one being the size limit (as far as I know)

Unfortunately I can't help you there other than to tell you to make a separate partition and install Ubuntu for real.
    Last edited by monkeybrain2012; May 19th, 2013 at 10:16 AM.

Beans

Okay. So how can I do a real installation? I thought this is as real as it could be. lol.

monkeybrain2012 is offline Grande Half-n-Half Cinnamon Ubuntu
    Beans

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/WindowsDualBoot

If you have UEFI there may be some extra work. Check out oldfred's links here
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2140521

Beans

Thanks a lot for the help. I will seriously consider reinstalling everything. It seems to be quite a bit of work.

Beans

Hi jialinl,

Have you installed mathematica 9.0.1 linux version successfully?
    I have installed Ubuntu 12.04 within Win 7 and mathematica 9.0.1 linux can be
    installled on Ubuntu. If you need help, post it and see what I can do.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by zeeshanaayan07 View Post
    Where is the download link..?
    Here is a download link for Mathematica: https://www.wolfram.com/mathematica/trial/

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 16.04 Xenial Xerus

My advice is to stick with Win. 7 and buy the Windows version of Mathematica.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by RichardET View Post
    My advice is to stick with Win. 7 and buy the Windows version of Mathematica.
    Offering your preference is OK, but it doesn't do much to help people install Mathematica on Ubuntu, the topic of this thread.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 16.04 Xenial Xerus

I was actually trying to be helpful; I use SAS JMP and prior to version 9, they supported three systems, OS/X, Linux, and Windows. This was back in 2009 and i wanted in the worst way to go with the Linux version, but I noticed that the feature set for the Linux version was always "behind" the Windows version, and I kept procrastinating buying JMP. When version 9 came out, I did bite, but by the then the Linux version was gone; Software like Mathematica and JMP are expensive and one should always consider which platorm best suits the software, so one gets the most out of it.
    For me, I try to go the path of least resistance with software, that way I am the most productive with it. These are my ideas only, and I am not trying to convert anyone.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by RichardET View Post
    I was actually trying to be helpful; I use SAS JMP and prior to version 9, they supported three systems, OS/X, Linux, and Windows. This was back in 2009 and i wanted in the worst way to go with the Linux version, but I noticed that the feature set for the Linux version was always "behind" the Windows version, and I kept procrastinating buying JMP. When version 9 came out, I did bite, but by the then the Linux version was gone; Software like Mathematica and JMP are expensive and one should always consider which platorm best suits the software, so one gets the most out of it.
    For me, I try to go the path of least resistance with software, that way I am the most productive with it. These are my ideas only, and I am not trying to convert anyone.
    The thread is about Mathematica, not SAS. Mathematica works fine in Linux, OP's problem is that he installed Ubuntu with Wubi and run into the size limit, it is not because of anything wrong with the Linux version. I went to a top research university in Canada we use software such as Mathematica and Matlab all on Linux or Unix. In fact Linux is the preferred platform for scientific work, so all our hard core science departments (Math, physics and chemistry and most of Computer science) use Linux (or Unix).
    Last edited by monkeybrain20122; September 3rd, 2013 at 08:28 AM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast