Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: btrfs restores busted saucy desktops

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: btrfs restores busted saucy desktops

Quote Originally Posted by grahammechanical View Post
    @ventrical

I am following your threads but following does not mean understanding.

Book him Dan-o!
    My apologies. I am not certain I fully understand it myself. Basically I have been using some forums messages as scratch-pads and some of the information is inaccurate and fragemented, although not intended to confuse at all. I 'll have to look back at all of this and try to synopsize a little better.
    This is Convergence
    Ubuntu Development Version Testing Blog Remarks
    Running 16.04 on Mobo: MSI model: B85-G41 PC Mate(MS-7850) v: 1.0

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

I was basing this

Supposing we need a non-btrfs boot partition how much of a problem would that be? All the previous kernels would be there. We would need to match the snapshots with the kernels and then after rolling back boot into the matching kernel. I am thinking that this might be a solution.
    On this in preliminary notes that you quoted from that tutorial.

If you use a separate /boot partition and apt installs anything in that partition (like a new kernel), you cannot undo changes to the /boot partition with apt-btrfs-snapshot- only changes on the btrfs partition can be reverted.
    Which seems to say that a roll back to before a system update would not remove a kernel that came in with that update. Now the new kernel might boot the pre-update system just fine but the previous kernel should definitely not have any problems. It is just the way my thoughts were working.

Regards.
    Last edited by grahammechanical; May 21st, 2013 at 10:02 PM.
    It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.
    Ubuntu user #33,200. Linux user #530,530

Beans
    Distro

I was basing this

On this in preliminary notes that you quoted from that tutorial.

Which seems to say that a roll back to before a system update would not remove a kernel that came in with that update. Now the new kernel might boot the pre-update system just fine but the previous kernel should definitely not have any problems. It is just the way my thoughts were working.

Regards.
    Yes, precisely. I didn't see it but that is what is happening. The big 'however' on all this is when an ext4 (or other -haven't tried other yet) is the previous format and then along comes a side by side install with a btrfs partition. This is where things seem to begin to split hairs. On another one of my installs on a totally different machine the rollbacks all had the Unity panel removed. Everything else worked (even current ccsm) but I had to install gnome-session-fallback, then, create a new user and give them admin privlidge (could not do it using <settings> as it would not recognize password) and alas, there was Unity. This bug appears to be only in saucy and not raring and that *other* install was a fresh install from the Saucy daily-build using btrfs.

This process is so intricate that it is hard to document comprehensively but I have read some of the other links and manuals about this and it appears that many have gone before us in working with this file format - hence it is being hotly developed and the result of this is that it seems very versatile, but those are only my observations from what I have gathered.

Regards..
    This is Convergence

Beans
    Distro

Moving along.. I noticed the option 'set-default' which reverts to a previous snapshot and I am about to try this on one of my installs that was originally install with ext4 but also has a btrfs install of Saucy on it.

Code:
    ventrical@ventrical-desktop:~$ apt-btrfs-snapshot -h
    usage: apt-btrfs-snapshot [-h] [--debug]

{supported,list,snapshot,set-default,delete,list-older-than,delete-older-than}

Filesystem snapshot support for apt

optional arguments:
      -h, --help            show this help message and exit
      --debug               enable debug output

Commands:
      {supported,list,snapshot,set-default,delete,list-older-than,delete-older-than}
        supported           Print if snapshots are supported
        list                List available snapshots
        snapshot            Create a new snapshot
        set-default         Revert to previous snapshot
        delete              Delete snapshot
        list-older-than     Show snapshots older than N days
        delete-older-than   Delete snapshots older than N days
    ventrical@ventrical-desktop:~$
    This is Convergence

Beans
    Distro

as per...

Code:
    ventrical@ventrical-AcerAMD64bitDual:~$ sudo -i
    [sudo] password for ventrical: 
    root@ventrical-AcerAMD64bitDual:~# apt-btrfs-snapshot list
    Available snapshots:
    @apt-snapshot-2013-05-06_10:08:59  
    @apt-snapshot-2013-05-16_14:35:56  
    @apt-snapshot-2013-05-16_14:35:59  
    @apt-snapshot-2013-05-16_14:36:01  
    @apt-snapshot-2013-05-16_14:41:15  
    @apt-snapshot-2013-05-16_14:41:16  
    @apt-snapshot-2013-05-16_14:41:18  
    @apt-snapshot-2013-05-16_14:41:19  
    @apt-snapshot-2013-05-17_09:13:48  
    @apt-snapshot-2013-05-18_11:25:36  
    @apt-snapshot-2013-05-18_15:31:13  
    @apt-snapshot-2013-05-18_19:06:17  
    @apt-snapshot-2013-05-21_19:18:52
    root@ventrical-AcerAMD64bitDual:~# apt-btrfs-snapshot set-default @apt-snapshot-2013-05-16_14:35:56
    Default changed to @apt-snapshot-2013-05-16_14:35:56, please reboot for changes to take effect.
    root@ventrical-AcerAMD64bitDual:~#
    This is Convergence

Beans
    Distro

Actually using the 'set-default' option is a lot more efficient and direct. The snapshots do not have to be renamed. I am going to now try again with a Unity session and see what happens.

Edit:

Success!! It is not a saucy bug. Unity came up on this saucy install. I think the solution is to choose 'set-default' option.

Basically I can go back and forth from different stages of the particular cycles' development, and, not only that , but I can jockey between development releases and final releases.

I think also another trick to all of this is knowing when to remove apt-btrfs-snapshot and reinstalling it, most particularily for upgrading to another release, ie; from raring to saucy.

regards

edit:

btw .. all of this has already been done with Solaris.
    Last edited by ventrical; May 22nd, 2013 at 12:03 PM. Reason: addon
    This is Convergence

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

My latest attempt to dip my toes in the btrfs water has come to a miserable end.

I created a 20GB primary partition at the front of the disk by resizing and moving two other primary partitions and they are not joking when they say, these operations could take a long time.

I then installed Raring + btrfs into what was now sda4 and this time It did not throw up any errors about not being able to install Grub into MBR sda. Then I booted into Raring + btfs and I got error sparse file not allowed -- press any key. That led briefly to the purple screen with the 5 dots and then to a black screen with a flashing cursor.

Oh well, back to the drawing board. And there I was hoping to learn about snapshots.

Sparse files?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sparse_file

Now, how did I get one of those? When I created the new partition I marked it as btrfs But when I installed raring did I mark it for format? Cannot remember. I guess I must reinstall and mark the partition to be formatted. I will try that.

Bug

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...b2/+bug/975557

Which is a duplicate of this bug

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...b2/+bug/736743

which says this

In any case, this is not a new problem that arose from using subvolumes, nor does it prevent booting (you get a spurious "Press any key to continue" prompt, but if you just ignore it it'll boot anyway). Downgrading to wishlist.
    It seems that I did not wait long enough. I will see.
    Last edited by grahammechanical; May 23rd, 2013 at 06:40 PM.
    It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.

Beans
    Distro

My latest attempt to dip my toes in the btrfs water has come to a miserable end.

I created a 20GB primary partition at the front of the disk by resizing and moving two other primary partitions and they are not joking when they say, these operations could take a long time.

I then installed Raring + btrfs into what was now sda4 and this time It did not throw up any errors about not being able to install Grub into MBR sda. Then I booted into Raring + btfs and I got error sparse file not allowed -- press any key. That led briefly to the purple screen with the 5 dots and then to a black screen with a flashing cursor.

Oh well, back to the drawing board. And there I was hoping to learn about snapshots.

Sparse files?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sparse_file

Now, how did I get one of those? When I created the new partition I marked it as btrfs But when I installed raring did I mark it for format? Cannot remember. I guess I must reinstall and mark the partition to be formatted. I will try that.

@grahammechanical

What I do is start up with Raring or Saucy USB (or CD DVD) from boot. Then:

<Install Ubuntu>

After a few more steps Ubiquity prompts me as to what I would like to do with partitions. I choose <Something else?> *note* I think that this is where the success lies because you can format the btrfs from there and then directly install. Of course do not forget to choose '/'

I then let the install go all the way to finish. Job done , then reboot. If I have decided in the <Something Else> option to make a new partition I make sure that it is Primary Partition. And of course -- I tic off the <Format> option.

edit: btw .. it is always good to boot back into live session and use <disk> utility to find out your btrfs designation's sda# because that is important if you are not using the 'set-default' option with apt-btrfs-snapshot because you will need to manually enter that sda number if you move , mount and rename the file.

regards
    Last edited by ventrical; May 23rd, 2013 at 06:39 PM. Reason: sp
    This is Convergence

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Someone speaks the truth. Do not press any ket to continue. Just wait and it will load as normal. 1 x raring install on btrfs. Now to read up on snapshots and experiment with upgrading to Saucy and reverting to Raring.

Beans
    Distro

Someone speaks the truth. Do not press any ket to continue. Just wait and it will load as normal. 1 x raring install on btrfs. Now to read up on snapshots and experiment with upgrading to Saucy and reverting to Raring.

Take your time . It is a real weaving job I tell you. Small word of advice- Make sure you *remove* apt-btrfs-snapshot *before* you change sources.list and sudo apt-get /update/dist-upgrade to saucy.

Regards
    This is Convergence

Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast