Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: btrfs restores busted saucy desktops

Beans

Re: btrfs restores busted saucy desktops

You are probably talking about entering grub 2 recovery menu and having an option to restore btrfs snapshot from that menu instead of dropping into and using shell prompt? If that is the case then great indeed.

Will have to start playing with this stuff when i will find more time!

Beans

I am writing up some advice on using btrfs. I call it adventures in btrfs. Would you join with me? In a day or two I will post what I have come up with. Would you post any corrections or additions? Then I will edit the first post. I do not want it to be a tutorial. More like advice. What we are finding might get noticed further up the food chain. It might move things forward a bit.
    I would surely read it if it would exist.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Budgie 17.10 Artful Aardvark

Quote Originally Posted by EgoGratis View Post
    You are probably talking about entering grub 2 recovery menu and having an option to restore btrfs snapshot from that menu instead of dropping into and using shell prompt? If that is the case then great indeed.

Will have to start playing with this stuff when i will find more time!

Yes .. (recovery mode) in GRuB. I was already there. All one has to do is (assuming that you have installed the <apt-btrfs-snapshot> program) choose recovery mode from GRub.

Choose #root option.

Enter:

Code:
    mount -o remount,rw /
    then:

exit

...wait .. and the new screen will come up with the apt-snapshot option.

Edit:

I tried to upload a .jpg file. It was there , then gone .. now the editor is acting funny here. Also there is a funny relic on the screen. I'll put that screen shot on the other forum.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by ventrical; June 28th, 2013 at 11:54 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by ventrical View Post
    Lo and behold, unless my eyes have deceived me, they now have an apt-rollback selection in the Recovery GUI!!!!

So that way we won't have to enter:

Code:
     mount -o remount,rw /
    Thanks you guys !

That will certainly make it a more friendly recovery for btrfs users. It gives hope that development work is continuing with btrfs. I am almost tempted to reboot just to check it out. But as I booted into this saucy+btrfs the first time, I will do some work on it before risking not been able to get back in. I am hoping that the recent 3.10 kernel will make a difference on my machine.

I wonder if the extra recovery menu comes with a fresh install. It would only be needed for btrfs formatted partition installs. It would be confusing otherwise.

EDIT: I do not have the snapshot option in the recovery menu of this saucy+btrfs. So, it must be put there by an install where the partition is formatted. I already proved that a reinstall without formatting the partition will crash Ubiquity. It cannot read the user configuration file and Ubiquity falls over when creating user.

That recovery snapshot option will be very useful when having the development branch on btrfs. When I decided to use btrfs, I also decided that I did not need a separate /home, just a separate data partition. Now I am regretting it. There are days when I am smart and there are days when I am dumb. That decision was made on smart/dumb day.

Regards.
    Last edited by grahammechanical; June 28th, 2013 at 01:10 PM.
    It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.
    Ubuntu user #33,200. Linux user #530,530

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

I would surely read it if it would exist.
    After being suitably prodded I got the deed done.

http://test.ubuntu-discourse.org/t/a...xperiences/515

Regards.
    It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.
    Ubuntu user #33,200. Linux user #530,530

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by grahammechanical View Post
    Now I am regretting it. There are days when I am smart and there are days when I am dumb. That decision was made on smart/dumb day.

Regards.
    I too suffer from dumb days!!!
    Choices Choices..(LOL)

Beans

After being suitably prodded I got the deed done.

http://test.ubuntu-discourse.org/t/a...xperiences/515

Regards.
    Fantastic read. Short, simple and straightforward! Thanks!

Interesting site i didn't know it existed. It's probably quite new?

http://test.ubuntu-discourse.org/

Beans

Two questions:

How much additional space does one snapshot take? Let's say after clean Ubuntu install snapshot is created then 2 weeks of updates and another one is created... What is the expected size (additional space on hdd) of the second snapshot?

What is expected time for second snapshot to be created and expected time for successful rollback operation.

Thanks!
    Last edited by EgoGratis; June 28th, 2013 at 05:15 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Budgie 17.10 Artful Aardvark

That will certainly make it a more friendly recovery for btrfs users. It gives hope that development work is continuing with btrfs. I am almost tempted to reboot just to check it out. But as I booted into this saucy+btrfs the first time, I will do some work on it before risking not been able to get back in. I am hoping that the recent 3.10 kernel will make a difference on my machine.

I wonder if the extra recovery menu comes with a fresh install. It would only be needed for btrfs formatted partition installs. It would be confusing otherwise.

EDIT: I do not have the snapshot option in the recovery menu of this saucy+btrfs. So, it must be put there by an install where the partition is formatted. I already proved that a reinstall without formatting the partition will crash Ubiquity. It cannot read the user configuration file and Ubiquity falls over when creating user.

That recovery snapshot option will be very useful when having the development branch on btrfs. When I decided to use btrfs, I also decided that I did not need a separate /home, just a separate data partition. Now I am regretting it. There are days when I am smart and there are days when I am dumb. That decision was made on smart/dumb day.

Regards.

@grahammechanical

My bad. I made a mis-speak. You have to enter:

Code:
    mount -o remount,rw /
    for it to work in recovery mode. ( i left a msg about this).

It was already there .. so it is not a new feature.

edit:

now , with my New ssd things are a lot faster and I'll be able to test a lot easier

Also aquired a 1.5TB WD for some fun testing on another dual core machine.

I'll have to work it off waxing cars and planes
    Last edited by ventrical; June 28th, 2013 at 10:00 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Fantastic read. Short, simple and straightforward! Thanks!

Interesting site i didn't know it existed. It's probably quite new?

http://test.ubuntu-discourse.org/
    The Discourse forum is very alpha, at the moment, it really isn't expected to be ready fro general use until early in the new year. The moderation team here, are also the moderation team over there, and we invite everyone to participate in any of the discussion that pique your interest. There are already a few of the forum members that post regularly in this sub-forum, that have a presence on Ubuntu-Discourse.

Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast