Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Ubuntu 13.04 is utterly, utterly gorgeous. :)

monkeybrain2012 is offline Grande Half-n-Half Cinnamon Ubuntu
    Beans

Re: Ubuntu 13.04 is utterly, utterly gorgeous. :)

Quote Originally Posted by CJ56 View Post
    At the risk of adding confusion...

I know how BigSilly feels about some of the changes the Gnome team have made to Gnome Shell - sometimes they seem to act out of sheer perversity... But: I'm running Debian Wheezy, the latest stable version, which comes with Gnome 3.4. This for me was a sweet spot in the series, and I'm glad that Debian aren't going to upgrade it any time soon. Also, much as I like many aspects of Unity and recognise that it has a lot going for it, it sometimes seems too busy, too much like the nervous hostess forever sticking canapes under your nose. If I want to get something done, for me, simpler is better... As a result, I now use Debian a lot more than Ubuntu...

Anyway. Apologies for barging in...
    Well Debian Wheezy is not upgrading anything anytime soon. That is my problem. Anyway, I have a partition running Debian SID, installed gnome shell 3.8 from experimental. Can't say I don't like it, but some parts are kind of odd, like "Files" always opens in full screen and all the + X - buttons are missing (I add them in gnome-tweak tools and they are on other applications) The applications "dash"(?) have no category but you can add them back with dconf-editor, I think some of the glitches may be the result of Debian packaging because the experiemental repo doesn't have all the pieces yet (for a while gnome-control-center for 3.8 was missing, so upgrading to 3.8 left me with no control settings) Oh, the new icon theme is nice.

Beans

And just like that Gnome wins me over again. Just been playing about with it on a live disc, and have to say the whole thing hooks me. I was a bit unconvinced by the app folders in the overview as I stated earlier, but actually stepping back and looking at it, it makes a lot of sense. I would really like them to expand the idea with other app folders (I still don't care for "Sundry"), such as Games, Internet programs, Office etc etc, but yes it's nice, and as a step to something great I get it.
    AMD Phenom X4 945, 4Gb Crucial 800Mhz DDR2 RAM, 1Tb SATA III HDD, AMD Radeon R7 250X

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by BigSilly View Post
    And just like that Gnome wins me over again. Just been playing about with it on a live disc, and have to say the whole thing hooks me. I was a bit unconvinced by the app folders in the overview as I stated earlier, but actually stepping back and looking at it, it makes a lot of sense. I would really like them to expand the idea with other app folders (I still don't care for "Sundry"), such as Games, Internet programs, Office etc etc, but yes it's nice, and as a step to something great I get it.
    You actually can have more than just "Sundry" and whatever the other default is. Open up dconf editor and navigate to org.gnome.shell. When you highlight the "shell" entry, there is a variable called app-folder-categories. You can add more app folders here, including Games, Internet, System Tools, etc. In my Gnome shell, I have this entered:

['Utilities','Sundry','Graphics','Accessories','Sys tem','Office', 'Games','Internet']

So now all of those categories show up as app folders in the overview mode. As I understand it, in future versions of Gnome this process will be a little more intuitive.

I think I still like the categories on the right better, but this is a decent substitute if you absolutely have to have your programs in categories (I like having that option, even though rarely browse through programs anyway).
    Last edited by montag dp; May 23rd, 2013 at 08:51 PM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by montag dp View Post
    You actually can have more than just "Sundry" and whatever the other default is. Open up dconf editor and navigate to org.gnome.shell. When you highlight the "shell" entry, there is a variable called app-folder-categories. You can add more app folders here, including Games, Internet, System Tools, etc. In my Gnome shell, I have this entered:

['Utilities','Sundry','Graphics','Accessories','Sys tem','Office', 'Games','Internet']

So now all of those categories show up as app folders in the overview mode. As I understand it, in future versions of Gnome this process will be a little more intuitive.

I think I still like the categories on the right better, but this is a decent substitute if you absolutely have to have your programs in categories (I like having that option, even though rarely browse through programs anyway).
    Ah I didn't know that. Thanks for the info. As you say I hope they make this functionality easily discoverable and easily configurable for future releases. It's pretty neat. I think like you ultimately I still like to have the categories on the right, but this is nice and doesn't feel like a compromise. But hey, if Gnome are reading this, why not offer the user both options somehow, and let us pick which view we want to use? That would be fantastic.

But I'm well off topic now. Errrrm....Ubuntu 13.04 is still utterly gorgeous, no matter how cool Gnome is.
    AMD Phenom X4 945, 4Gb Crucial 800Mhz DDR2 RAM, 1Tb SATA III HDD, AMD Radeon R7 250X

Beans

for my old hardware ubuntu was too big i had to instal lubuntu

Beans

Could we get a vid?

I'm not brave enough to take your word for it

Beans

Agreed. 13.04 is the dog's 'bollocks'.

I'm currently trying a wide variety of distros in Virtualbox and have yet to find anything that works as well as 13.04/Unity. The much vaunted Mint/Cinnamon didn't appeal - too old fashioned.

The only thing I haven't managed to achieve with Unity is a better set of icons in the launcher. I'd like to force colour consistency and get better designs. Any suggestions?

Beans

Well, I've enjoyed my recent excursion into Gnome 3 and Shell, but it's back to Ubuntu for me. Nobody does it better.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Well, I've enjoyed my recent excursion into Gnome 3 and Shell, but it's back to Ubuntu for me. Nobody does it better.
    Reminds me of the title song from the James Bond movie "The Spy Who Loved Me"
    Maybe that should be the ubuntu theme song

Beans

I bet you'll keep hopping. It's too addicting.

I think I've actually settled on Gnome Shell, but that's what I thought with KDE too. We'll see what happens, but I think as long as the Gnome devs don't screw it up I've definitely found my home. Anyway, isn't it great that we have so many good choices?

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast