Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Resolution problems

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu

Resolution problems

When are the monitor resolution peroblems going to be solved? Countless thousands of people have monitors that are not detected and are stuck on low resolution. Long winded "fixes" either don't work to begin with or don't work because versions change. I am absolutely fed up with this!!!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: **! Resolution !**

Do i need to understand you are one of the countless ? Bad, bad mood
    but devs cant fix user's misunderstanding or non genuine usages, and so on
    here we can help about detailed trouble; but whining is useless.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

And I am absolutely fed up with people like you demanding of people like me answers that we cannot give!!! See, I know where the exclamation mark key is also!!!!

Take this up with the owners of proprietary video drivers or help the developers of the open source video drivers. Or pay a lot of money for a proprietary operating system, the owners of which force monitor makers to provide drivers for their hardware.

I consider this post to be an abuse of the forum.
    It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.
    Ubuntu user #33,200. Linux user #530,530

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu

Oh dear, I see what the problem is.
    Nobody who knows how to write Linux is actually able to make a GUI so one can set *ANY* desired resolution manually.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Budgie 17.10 Artful Aardvark

Quote Originally Posted by MarkX View Post
    Oh dear, I see what the problem is.
    Nobody who knows how to write Linux is actually able to make a GUI so one can set *ANY* desired resolution manually.

We don't even know what kind of monitor you have. In Ubuntu +1 , which is beta testing rolling release, we share specs with each other so we can trouble shoot problems. A lot of graphical video adapter drivers have been obsoleted so you may have to use Xubuntu or Lubuntu flavours to get proper screen resolution.

What is the make/brand of your graphical adapter card?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Unless the op provides some more information, this thread will be closed, as complaining and demanding a solution here, doesn't do much good. A well written bug report without any dramatics will go much further towards solving the problem. After all, You catch more flies with honey than you do with vinegar.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu

It's an Orion 1770a with vga output, 1280x1024 60 and has lasted for years. I could get it working up to about Ubuntu 9.x, then even longwindedly farting around with xrandr stopped working too.
    If you want a bug report search for "resolution" in the forums where you'll find all manner of people who just want to type the correct resolution and refresh rate into a box.
    I know that too high a resolution could kill very old CRTs, but a warning and disclaimer would take care of that.

Of course if you want to kill this thread instead of actually bothering to do anything about this age old problem, go ahead. Or you could blame Xorg and wash your hands.
    Last edited by MarkX; May 19th, 2013 at 12:08 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!

Most of the people here aren't developers. They're testers, for the most part, and some are pretty knowledgeable, but most are not involved with writing the code. Try to remember that this is Linux, not Windows. You didn't pay anything for it. You got it for free from people and organizations that believe in the principles of software freedom, most of whom donate their time and efforts to it. You're free not to use it, of course, but a better solution might be to jump in and help. Standing off to the side throwing a tantrum isn't going to get you anything.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Hello, MarkX!

Although your ire is understandable, you must realize that this is a community of people who use Ubuntu and we are not in Canonical's employ. We are not the people who do the development.

There are a handful of developers who may, from time to time, come to the forums - but that is a singularly rare occurrance.

What you find here are not actual "bug reports". They are requests for help in getting something to work where it is in the power of those who answer to help. The proper place to report a bug is on https://launchpad.net or through the bug reporting functionality in Ubuntu.

There is no use in making demands of us. We don't make the changes. Leaving the thread open or closing it has nothing to do with whether or not a bug will be fixed.

Thanks and best wishes!
    Last edited by QIII; May 19th, 2013 at 12:47 AM.
    Please read The Forum Rules and The Forum Posting Guidelines

A thing discovered and kept to oneself must be discovered time and again by others. A thing discovered and shared with others need be discovered only the once.
    This universe is crazy. I'm going back to my own.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu

Re: Resolution problems

I "help" by recommending it to people but what I see now is endless changes being made that people don't want (Unity, for a major one and I gather they now want to dump firefox) instead of fixing basic things that don't work properly.
    If people with touchscreens, mobiles and the need for clouds and the latest gismos want Linux, then give them their own distro, call it Mobuntu, if you like, but don't turn upside down what could have become the best OS every few months just for the sake of it. I'm becoming a silver surfer and our numbers are rocketing. WE DON'T WANT CHANGE! We need a rock steady, easy and familiar OS!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast