Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Re: xubuntu? ubuntu?

Don't rush

The other thing that you could do - and this is my preference

Install one of them only.

Install the others in virtual machines - I hated having the menu's for one filled with apps from the others.

When you've made a choice - install that one and be impressed by the difference you find running it on real hardware

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Quote Originally Posted by ibjsb4 View Post
    If you have Ubuntu installed you could add xfce (Xubuntu) desktop to it and compare for yourself.

Code:
    sudo apt-get install xfce4
    Same goes for lubuntu.

Code:
    sudo apt-get install lxde
    And choose what desktop you want to run at login by clicking on the login icon.

To open a terminal.
    Why do you recommend xfce4 and lxde instead of xubuntu-desktop and lubuntu-desktop?
    Shortened urls: See point #11 here. And clicking on them could be risky.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

There are two reasons to prefer one or the other: Ubuntu with Unity interface is a) an acquired taste and b) is more demanding on low powered equipment. I'd say, if your machine runs Windows 7 well, Ubuntu/Unity is fine, otherwise shop around for lighter weight versions like Xubuntu or Lubuntu. I'm currently liking Xubuntu with XFCE as a lightweight interface that is not as intrusive as Unity, but would not disrespect Lubuntu with LXDE.

Xubuntu 13.04 is running very nicely on my weakling Acer netbook on a Persistent Live USB, and of course would run better if given a regular install on the hard drive. I would not run Ubuntu on that unit, even if I liked Unity interface, which I personally don't.

I very much agree with advice to test before installing using a Persistent Live USB. This is especially true since the non-LTS versions of both Ubuntu and Xubuntu are only supported for nine months, and not everybody wants to add an operating system to the hard drive for that short time.
    New to Linux. Currently dual boot Lubuntu 10.10 with W7 on Acer One netbook. Experimenting with Mint 15 XFCE on netbook and a Dell laptop with peripherals (Persistent 8GB Live USB.)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

You can download each one and run each live session to see which desktop environment you prefer...that is sort of like taking a car for a road test

If you had or played around with a mac, then you may especially like the unity interface on ubuntu...it's basically a dock that is on the left side of your screen (which you can auto-hide of course)...
    It is my personal favorite and that is what i use....But look at all 3 (ubuntu/xubuntu/kubuntu) and see which you like best...
    Last edited by craig10x; May 19th, 2013 at 01:45 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 14.04 Trusty Tahr

What I've done with my Acer Asprire One Netbook, 1.6 Ghz, 2gb Ram is install Ubuntu 12.04, installed MATE
    Adding ONE of the following repos to /etc/apt/sources.list via the following command:

sudo add-apt-repository "deb http://packages.mate-desktop.org/repo/ubuntu precise main"

sudo add-apt-repository "deb http://repo.mate-desktop.org/ubuntu precise main"

sudo add-apt-repository "deb http://mirror1.mate-desktop.org/ubuntu precise main"and purged all of Unity via

# apt-get --yes purge unity unity-2d unity-2d-places unity-2d-panel unity-2d-spread
    # apt-get --yes purge unity-asset-pool unity-services unity-lens-* unity-scope-*
    # apt-get --yes purge liboverlay-scrollbar*
    # apt-get --yes purge appmenu-gtk appmenu-gtk3 appmenu-qt
    # apt-get --yes purge firefox-globalmenu thunderbird-globalmenu
    # apt-get --yes purge unity-2d-common unity-common
    # apt-get --yes purge libunity-misc4 libunity-core-5*

Then type:

sudo apt-get autoremove

Now we proceed with the removal of all packages "orphans" who have remained in the Unity system with deborphan with:
    <Install Dephoran if you dont have it.>

sudo apt-get purge `deborphan`

repeat the command several times to remove even the dependencies of dependencies, until we answer that there are more packages to be removed.

And finally, we eliminate even the small configuration file of Unity remained, by typing:

sudo dpkg --purge `dpkg -l | egrep "^rc" | cut -d' ' -f3`

Reboot, choose Mate.

You will then have a clean Ubuntu 12.04 and installed, with only MATE.

There were a few hold overs, that I had to delete : Disk Usage Analyizer, Log Viewer and a couple more If I recalled that were gnome hold overs. But, I have to say that I have a fast, 12.04, no unity and a speedy system..

Proceed with caution, most of these came from various searches via google. Each installation varies in you may carry on your machine.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12