Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: xubuntu? ubuntu?

Beans

xubuntu? ubuntu?

I should probably wait until tomorrow when my eyes are working again and I can read more. BUT (yep, the big but) Is there a difference between the two?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Re: xubuntu? ubuntu?

They have the same basic system underneath, but they use different window managers and different default applications.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Gnome 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Quote Originally Posted by jimpierce7 View Post
    I should probably wait until tomorrow when my eyes are working again and I can read more. BUT (yep, the big but) Is there a difference between the two?
    Here, http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2146258, you can read some useful information

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

They're both Desktop Environments.
    They look different.
    They use different file managers, and web browsers, and office applications.

And you can install both desktops on either system. If you wish.

But beyond that, they're the same system underneath.
    Splat Double Splat Triple Splat
    Earn Your Keep
    Don't mind me, I'm only passing through.
    Once in a blue moon, I'm actually helpful

Beans

thank you folks!!

Beans

I've used both ubuntu and xubuntu. I use kubuntu now and I'm sticking with it.

Xubuntu takes much less memory than ubuntu and is a much better choice of machines with 1Gb RAM or less. But so is kubuntu. It takes a bit more RAM but not much. I run kubuntu on my IGb netbook and it works just fine.

Xubuntu is a faster than ubuntu but kubuntu is too, and it's also faster than xubuntu. And kubuntu is more powerful than either IMO. I've also found it much less buggy.

Yes, you can install one version of ubuntu and then install another desktop. For example I installed the kde desktop shell when I used xubuntu. I don't 100% recommend this because it can cause system conflicts. But if you want to try other desktops I don't think it's any worse than installing more linux partitions.

The underlying system is definitely the same, to the point that you can use many programs from another desktop. When I ran xubuntu I used the KDE file manager (dolphin). I hate the xfce file manager, and I don't want to use any other file manager but dolphin now.

Beans

Thanks for info Rob. So, somebody knows a comparative table nde these three distros (Ubuntu, Kubuntu, Xubuntu)?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

The best comparision is for you to try all three and find out what works on your system and what suits your needs, wants, likes and dislikes. Its like checking out cars before you commit. They all have same engine under the hood. What you have to decide on is your comfort and body design appeal.

If you have a 4-8gb USB pendrive then you may find this useful: http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/39747...b-flash-drive/
    "Evolution is Nature's way of issuing upgrades."

ibjsb4 is offline Ubuntu addict and loving it
    Beans

If you have Ubuntu installed you could add xfce (Xubuntu) desktop to it and compare for yourself.

Code:
    sudo apt-get install xfce4
    Same goes for lubuntu.

Code:
    sudo apt-get install lxde
    And choose what desktop you want to run at login by clicking on the login icon.

To open a terminal.

Beans

I have a 32g PNY. It is pretty slow as at the time I got it, cheap was better. lol I have 3g ram and will eventually be putting in the last gig it can take. Know I'm getting all excited about this.
    I saw that there is a kubuntu but didn't read about it last night. Looks like I'm going to be busy this afternoon figuring out which one I want!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast