Thread: Chrubutu root password recovery options?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Breezy 5.10

Chrubutu root password recovery options?

So, my kid forgot his password on his C7 with Chrubuntu 12.04 on it. Since there is no grub for recovery, and I can't get a usb drive to boot, what options do I have to recover his password?

Beans

Re: Chrubutu root password recovery options?

Please clarify. Did your son forget the password to the root account? If so.... I must ask, why let a kid do anything(including serious harm) to your/his computer with accsess to the root account? I'm not much help, sorry, but I don't think there are any more options...
    Edit:(http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2098507)
    Last edited by Redmouse; May 29th, 2013 at 09:20 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Breezy 5.10

Quote Originally Posted by Redmouse View Post
    Please clarify. Did your son forget the password to the root account? If so.... I must ask, why let a kid do anything(including serious harm) to your/his computer with accsess to the root account? I'm not much help, sorry, but I don't think there are any more options...
    Edithttp://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2098507)
    He is 14 and wants to learn about linux, and wants to learn personal responsibility. I spoke with him and about before I gave him the laptop and he assured me it wouldnt be a problem, and that he would consult with me before doing anything to change the laptop.

I recovered it by removing the hard drive and editting the shadow file with BT5r3.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Lubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by Scrufdog View Post
    He is 14 and wants to learn about linux, and wants to learn personal responsibility. I spoke with him and about before I gave him the laptop and he assured me it wouldnt be a problem, and that he would consult with me before doing anything to change the laptop.

I recovered it by removing the hard drive and editting the shadow file with BT5r3.
    For future reference, if Chrubuntu is the same as other *buntus, you can recover a password (root or otherwise) using this method: http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/resetpassword

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate

Unfortunately, at present, Chrubuntu does not use GRUB; as an experienced user but someone who remains a bit mystified about how the beastie actually boots, I would (in your situation) try backing up what you can, and do a fresh installation (putting ChromeOS back on, etc). The Chrubuntu installation script now allows 13.04 to be installed, for what it's worth.

I drink my Ubuntu black, no sugar.
    Ubuntu user 28819