Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: How to install samba 4 as an active directory domain controller

Beans

Re: How to install samba 4 as an active directory domain controller

First of all, thank you so much for this great tutorial. It made it possible for me to set up my first samba AD. Everything seems to work fine so far, but I face one problem. It is more a DNS issue than a samba issue but maybe you can give me an advice anyway.
    I have isc-dhcp server running on my samba dc and I am using bind-dlz as dns backend now (I started with the internal-dns but thought maybe that is causing the issue so I switched). When I connect a Windows Client (7 or 8) which is set to dhcp there is automatically created an A entry in the standard forward lookup zone. The problem is now though, that there will not be created a PTR entry in the reverse lookup zone (I created the zone of course). With a Windows dc this works fine.
    I tried to google the problem but was not able to find much. There seems to be a solution with GPOs but I did not find it too elegant so I would like to know if there is any other possibility to fix this.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Thanks for your comment mate.

AFAIK, it's not possible yet to have the PTR automatically created in the RLZ...(at least it was not possible last time I updated samba4) so you will have to use the GPO.
    One step further might be one step too far...

Beans

Thx for the fast reply (:
    So I guess it is not possible with internal-DNS neither? It is really hard for me to gather such specific information and mailing lists as a source are still confusing (yes, I come from Windows (; )
    So if I understand correctly, with samba4 not the dhcp is setting the A entries, but the clients themselves? That is why I have to use the GPO to tell the clients to set the PTR too?
    Last edited by gladston3; April 6th, 2014 at 02:52 PM.

Beans

Hey. I'm a new Ubuntu user trying to setup a Samba4 DC on a server. I have installed 12.04 LTS and have been following this guide which has been very helpful! However, when I try to provision the domain controller, I get the following error:

Code:
    ldb: module schema_load initialization failed : No such object
    ldb: module rootsdse initialization failed : No such object
    ldb: module samba_dsdb initialization failed : No such object
    ldb: Unable to load modules for /usr/local/samba/private/sam.ldb: (null)
    sambd_connect failed
    VFS connect failed!
    ERROR(<class 'samba.provision.ProvisioningError'>): Provision failed -ProvisioningError: Your filesystem or build does not support posix ACLs, which s3fs requires. Try the mounting the filesystem with the 'acl' option.
    File "/usr/local/samba/lib/python2.7/site-packages/samba/provision/__init__.py", line 2052, in provision raise ProvisioningError("Your filesystem or build does not support posix ACLs, which s3fs requires. Try the mounting the filesystem with the 'acl' option.")
    When I ran the selftest all tests passed and the make and make install commands ran successfully. So, I'm not sure why I've done wrong. Since the error said that I needed to mount the filesystem using ACL, I installed ACL, following the instructions here:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Fi...ontrol_List.29

Running
    Code:
    sudo mount -o remount /home
    returned
    Code:
    /dev/sda1 on /boot type ext2 (rw,acl)
    which to me suggests that the filesystem is now mounted using ACL. However, I tried again to provision the domain controller and got the exact same error message.

Can someone help me here? I'm not sure what else to check. Thanks!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Hi,
    did you install Samba4 for the repo or from the Git tree?
    Also did you install the required dependencies mentioned at the begining of the tutorial?

Kris
    One step further might be one step too far...

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Toxic64 View Post
    Hi,
    did you install Samba4 for the repo or from the Git tree?
    Also did you install the required dependencies mentioned at the begining of the tutorial?

Kris
    I cloned Samba4 using Git. And yes, I installed the dependencies. I followed the steps in the guide exactly.

Beans

Nice tutorial. Everything worked as expected but I have some small problem with my domain now. Sometimes it's available and sometimes not. When I try to manage users or group policies sometimes an error occurs that says that "no information could be found because the number of procedures is not in the allowed range". This is roughly translated from german. I included the screenshot in case anyone here can provide a proper translation.

I cannot reproduce this error, currently it's random and sometimes everything works but in the next minute the domain is gone and a few seconds it's there again.

Maybe you can provide some help

https://www.dropbox.com/s/t9t37o3f2jj66or/fehler.jpg
    Last edited by philipp9; July 10th, 2014 at 11:22 PM.

Beans

Curtis: try the mount option user_xattr in addition to the acl option, or better yet use the ext4 filesystem with the acl and user_xattr options.

Hope this helps,
    Jeff M
    Last edited by meaje2; September 3rd, 2014 at 02:50 PM. Reason: additional information

Beans

Thumbs up Re: How to install samba 4 as an active directory domain controller

nextraa, you're right, I'm not that experienced in Linux and Samba. hahahaha

Beans

Just registered to say that even though I'm using CentOS 7, following the official samba tutorial, something was going wrong.
    Started to search for solutions and found this tutorial (which is pretty much similar to the official one - as expected).
    Followed the instructions, and it worked like a charm! Still don't know what went wrong, but who cares?! It's all done now!
    So, THANK YOU!
    Last edited by howefield; October 4th, 2015 at 03:37 PM.

Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast