Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 13.04 Not worth the trouble

Hybrid View

Beans

13.04 Not worth the trouble

OK. I have been using Ubunutu for a number of years now ( maybe 6) and have been a huge fan /supporter. We have three computers in our house running on Ubuntu. Two on Lubuntu and one on Ubuntu. Every thing is great then come 12.10. The upgrade screws up all three computers. So I say well.... I should do a clean install....screws up all three computer. Now please keep in mind I work for for months thinking it was the computer or something I effed up. Finally I put all three computers back to 12.04 and the the world is good again. So... out comes 13.04. I say well I am am going to try Xubuntu (Because I like the old look) on my main systetm (which is kind of a hot rod system for some. SSD drive, hybriid drive, external drive, higher end mother board and video card). So after the install the system will not boot, so I install again. the system boots but I have these bugs, No sound, right mouse button doesn't work rignt, screen keeps flashing. So...I think it's something I did, I do my research and conme back the next day, hit the power button and the system won't boot. 12.04 is reinstalled now.

I am no systems engineer, but I have tested many of the distro's out there through Vbox, so I am not a complete moron. It just seems that Ubuntu has become increasing sloppy with their releases. I have never had serious issues until 12.10 and 13.04.

There is an arguement going on that this is freeware and we as users are not entitled to anything, but if nobody is using a system, how does it survive. I have tested everything from Suse Opent to Magiea to Antix to Debian, but I still use Ubuntu. However It is becoming harder form me to put up with the problems faced with each new release.

Please stop worrying about getting the next release out. Take the Debian stand...It will be ready when it's ready.

I don't mind working abit bit with an OS, but I should not be dealing bugs right off the start with what should be a stable release.

Remember when Ubuntu was number one? Let's get the quality back back in this OS, otherwise ther will be less and less Ubuntu users out there. And I don't don't care what the developers may say or think, I am not the only person that feels this way.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: 13.04 Not worth the trouble

i really dont understand, you tell us that running 12.04 is good. then, where is the problem?
    keep in mind...the LTS versions are all that matters! all the others are for testing....if you want stable, go for LTS. on the other hand, if you want a flavor of what is gonna be next, go for latest release and if you encounter some bugs, just report 'em.
    if you go to ubuntu homepage, you will see that 12.04 is the first option to download.
    dell inspiron 1521, AMD Turion, ATI mobility radeon x1270.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Hi,

I'd just like to put in a word for Xubuntu 13.04.
    I did a clean install (which I always do) from Xubuntu 12.04.2 and have had absolutely no problems whatsoever.
    In fact to say I am rapt would be an understatement.

I trust you will eventually get what you want.

Cheers -
    PopularPages: A very handy Documentation Search Tool used by many.
    PopularPages Wiki Thread
    My New Blog

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu Development Release

I always do a clean install, having read too many upgrade horror stories here and elsewhere. That said, I was having some booting issues with the default Kubuntu 13.04 kernel, something to do with ipv6 and plymouth (I didn't research it very thoroughly). Installing the 3.9x kernel fixed the issues.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

as said above if you need stable stick with LTS releases, the interim releases are for testing and refining concepts

Beans

Yeah I guess that was a bit of a rant wasn't it. I went back to Ubuntu 12.04 and all is well.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Only issue i have had with 13.04 are broken hdmi audio and this happening during boot sometimes, both are fixed with a kernel update (using mainline kernels now)
    i have not tried the new 3.8.0-21 kernel, so normal updates may fix it
    Laptop: ASUS A54C-NB91 (Storage: WD3200BEKT + MKNSSDCR60GB-DX); Desktop: Custom Build - Images included; rPi Server
    Putting your Networked Printer's scanner software to shame PHP Scanner Server
    I frequently edit my post when I have the last post

Beans

13.04 works fine here.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Budgie Development Release

13.04 works fine with XFCE, the Gnome Shell, and Unity.
    "Our intention creates our reality. "

Ubuntu Documentation Search: Popular Pages
    Ubuntu: Security Basics
    Ubuntu: Flavors

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Oh how surprised we are that raring is working fine foe you and you and you. What exactly is the point of those inevitable "works fine" chorus every time a user does point out some problems? Do you suggest the OP is just too stupid or has bad karma?

No, he isn't. I do see the same - the Ubuntu OS for PCs is slowly falling apart, while Canonical dreams of making a big imprint in the mobile market.

Like this, there will be just failure in both markets.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast