Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Chromium Likely to Replace Firefox

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

On Opera

Quote Originally Posted by cariboo907 View Post
    I use chromium for about 98% of my browsing, and everything works as it should for me. [...]

I really don't care if it's added as the default browser [...]
    Dittos...

I like to "test" things, so I use Chromium Canary 98% of the time. It has pages n' pages of experimental features (chrome://flags) to play around with.

The only extensions I *need* (must-haves) are:

1% of the time, I use Opera-Next. Unlike all other browsers, you can make Opera look any_way_you_want. Customization goes way beyond simply skinning it with canned themes. In particular, I like to run my browser tabs on the bottom. All browsers should have this option, IMO!

Have you tried the Opera-Next App (aka Mini Next) on Android, cariboo?!?!?

The only time I use Fx is for critical downloads, e.g. via the DownThemAll! extension.
    Intel ® P4 Extreme Edition 3.4 (Gallatin) || DFI ® LanParty PRO875B rev B1
    Crucial ® Ballistix Tracer PC4000 1GB || Mountain Mods U2-UFO Opti-1203
    XFX 7600GT 560M AGP (PV-T73A-UDF3) || Corsair HX520W Modular PSU

Beans

Re: Chromium Likely to Replace Firefox

Quote Originally Posted by slickymaster View Post
    Exactly.
    Usually i would agree BUT this is FF we are talking about. This decision will have greater effect "in community" compared to default music or video player for example. Anyway i expressed my concerns and views as i see it and beyond that it's not my call to make...

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Lightbulb Re: Chromium Likely to Replace Firefox

firefox is better than chrome/ium. It has huge addons/themes and I can customize how it looks. There are lots of options. It also integrate better in ubuntu than chrome/ium. Chrome/ium just feels alien. And I am also annoyed when the gnome keyring ask your password everytime you open chrome. Also I dont know, but chorme/ium uses a lot of RAM as compared to firefox. So they should keep firefox IMO.
    Intel Core2Duo 2.20 GHz || 4 GB DDR3 RAM
    nVidia GT 240M 1 GB || 320 GB SATA Hard Disk

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Never once seen an objective measure-- benchmark, resource utilization, feature comparison, where firefox beats chrome. Chrome is better technology. If not now then inevitably in the future. Its just newer, faster, better.
    Desktop
    Antec 300 Illusion, Athlon II X4 640, 8GB DDR3 1333, EarthWatts430W, Radeon HD 6670 1GB
    Laptop
    Lenovo Thinkpad Z61T, T7200@2.00GHz, 2GB DDR2, 100gb HD, TPM Encryption

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

I don't care what Ubuntu uses as default... At every install I remove tons of 'defaults' Ubuntu ships. I am seriously considering 'Ubuntu-Mini', Arch spoilt I guess.

Back to Browsers: I have both, Firefox and Chromium. Chromium is just my Backup Browser. Firefox has a tremendous configurablity and great addons. This is where, IMO, Chromium lags. Also with HTML5 round the corner, pepper-flash doesn't matter much to me. I like Firefox more. I am wary of Google in general.

my two cents...
    Last edited by fantab; May 17th, 2013 at 01:45 PM.
    "Evolution is Nature's way of issuing upgrades."

Beans

I come from Firefox (on Windows) originally, have been using it since it was v0.8 (I think it was still 'Firebird' at that time).

Was happy with it for a long time, until Mozilla changed something with the font rendering and it lost the anti-aliasing (which used to be handled by Windows before). I don't know what happened, but suddenly every web page had horribly jagged edges on all text (maybe because I use non-standard fonts for Windows? - namely Ubuntu font and Helvetica).
    Chrome has a much nicer font rendering engine, so I switched.
    When I started using Ubuntu I also went right ahead with Chromium, mostly because my bookmarks would all be synced...

In hindsight, I have actually found that Firefox seems sluggish to me and the UI is not very intuitive. Also, Chome/ium seems to render much faster - although this may just be a subjective thing...

I would like for Ubuntu to offer Chromium as standard browser (although I don't find it a hassle to install - very much unlike on Windows) - the only thing I am missing is the ability to about:config that thing (and no, chrome:flags is not the same as I cannot set connection numbers etc.)

Beans
    Distro

I'm using the current version libpepflashplayer.so and libpdf.so from google chrome on chromium-browser and both working fine.

Last edited by serdotlinecho; May 17th, 2013 at 05:48 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

For the sake of openness, I must declare an interest - I am not interested in the slightest!

It seems to me that anyone can put in a session at UDS to discuss anything that they want. That does not make it Canonical policy. People in the past have been caught out by someone's wish list at UDS being seen as Ubuntu direction. This time, at least, these people did not get a paid for trip to the other side of the world.

As far as I am concerned, it makes sense to have a default web browser installed. New users would be expecting that. We should not get into a situation where users are offered a choice of browsers at installation time. Getting rid of that kind of complication has been Ubuntu practice for years. Yet, that is the compromise that these kind of discussions produce.

Nor should personal preferences influence practical decisions. I am more familiar with Chromium but I see no point of changing the set up. How often has someone said, if it ain't broke, don't fix it. There is enough disruptiveness about Ubuntu as it is, without adding to it.

Regards.
    It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.
    Ubuntu user #33,200. Linux user #530,530

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

I guess i wouldn't mind using Chromium instead of chrome IF ubuntu would add 2 easy to install packages in the software center to add in the Chrome pepperflash and pdf reader....if they can offer microsoft fonts when you add restricted extras (by saying yes to the agreement) i don't see why they couldn't do the same for those add on features..

Also, if we would get more updated versions of chromium that match with chrome....

Someone had mentioned that Chrome had better font rendering...yep it does seem to, from my observation...which is why i switched to it from firefox...Chrome with the microsoft fonts (which i always get with restricted extras) is sweet looking and the web pages themselves seem to have the best rendering too...Chromium has this also, just is missing those 2 extra features...

Beans
    Distro

while the choice of default apps does not affect me as long as alternatives are available , I think that there should be consistency between releases unless a change is absolutely required . Too much difference from one release to the next will create confusion among the ordinary users .
    if it ain't broke you haven't tweaked it enough

Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast