Page 6 of 16 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Chromium Likely to Replace Firefox

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu

Re: Chromium Likely to Replace Firefox

Instead of endless pointless changes they should improve the reliability of what's there, like:

How about making a GUI where you can set your undetected monitor to the correct resolution?

I already changed to Lubuntu because they tried to foist upon me the pile of pointless cack that Unity is.
    Last edited by cariboo; May 18th, 2013 at 06:40 PM. Reason: removed implied profanity

Beans

If it's undetected then it's usually driver issue or hardware limitation. For drivers working correctly there already is GUI tool to change resolutions.

Unity (Compiz based) is the step in the right direction. Some might have concerns about privacy but that is about it and about Unity Next i don't know how it will be and i will judge then but "desktop mode" should have support for icons on the desktop and wallpaper this is something i am quite sure i will need/use in the foreseeable future but about everything else i am interested to see how it will be...

Beans
    Hidden!

We like having young Linux users, of course, and some are capable and impressive users and contributors. Of course, when they act like fourteen-year-olds we have to remember that we were all young and stupid once. Thanks for reminding us.

The day will come - we hope - when immaturity will be replaced by wisdom. We'll all welcome you to the world of adults when you move past tantrums, selfishness, whining, and thinking "it's all about you." In the meantime, try to get a life; maybe even see if you can get a girlfriend.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by EgoGratis View Post
    If it's undetected then it's usually driver issue or hardware limitation. For drivers working correctly there already is GUI tool to change resolutions.
    Well DUH! Go search for "resolution"!
    It's an issue that affects countless thousands which could be solved by a GUI where you simply punch in the resolution and refresh rate you want instead of asreing around in a quasi-MS-Dos.

Quote Originally Posted by EgoGratis View Post
    Unity (Compiz based) is the step in the right direction. Some might have concerns about privacy but that is about it and about Unity Next i don't know how it will be and i will judge then but "desktop mode" should have support for icons on the desktop and wallpaper this is something i am quite sure i will need/use in the foreseeable future but about everything else i am interested to see how it will be...
    No, Unity is for a different bunch of users. If they want something for the mobile and touchscreen market they should bring out a distro for that market, call it MUBUNTU if you like.

It's stupid to suddenly turn desktop/laptop Ubuntu into something that a bunch of other people use. That's why I dumped it and am using Lubuntu instead. I'm not interested in forever learning and getting used to different setups.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Unity is a dock....pure and simple...apparently you never used a mac...it may be on the left, but it is still a dock!
    I like docks....so i like Unity....you apparently don't....a dock is also easy to use for newbies and newcomers to linux....why does everything have to look like windows (with a slab menu and lower panel)....
    And it isn't just for touch screens...it works very well with a mouse....windows 8 metro, that's a different story....that IS a touch interface and very un-intuitive for mouse use...
    Last edited by craig10x; May 18th, 2013 at 06:58 PM.

Beans

Well DUH! Go search for "resolution"!
    It's an issue that affects countless thousands which could be solved by a GUI where you simply punch in the resolution and refresh rate you want instead of asreing around in a quasi-MS-Dos.
    But on the other hand millions of users have that GUI already and it works just fine. For thousands having issues there are probably more then one (complex) problem to solve, maybe 1000 problems to solve and that is where community steps in and tells you what can try.

No, Unity is for a different bunch of users. If they want something for the mobile and touchscreen market they should bring out a distro for that market, call it MUBUNTU if you like.

It's stupid to suddenly turn desktop/laptop Ubuntu into something that a bunch of other people use. That's why I dumped it and am using Lubuntu instead. I'm not interested in forever learning and getting used to different setups.
    Compiz based Unity is suitable for desktop usage and it currently has all of the elements used and loved by desktop users in the past. What will Unity Next be like we don't know yet and in Ubuntu 13.10 "desktop mode" will probably not land yet in test session for Unity Next BUT default session will still be Compiz based Unity 7 that has all of the elements of classic desktop used for decades.

Beans

Anyway this is offtopic.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu

I don't need a dock.
    It's like cars. You get the one you want and then stick with it.
    No point in getting a car that might turn into a JCB or a tricycle next month.

These endless and frequent pointless vanity changes make Ubuntu into something transient rather than the stable platform Linux is (was?) reputed to be.

Meanwhile I am stuck on 1024x768 on a spare reliable old Orion 1770A flatscreen that is 1280x1024.
    Last edited by MarkX; May 18th, 2013 at 06:51 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

before they started messing with X you could simply edit the xorg.conf to get the resolution/refresh you needed . Given a chance they will "improve" things to the point of complete unuseability .
    if it ain't broke you haven't tweaked it enough

Beans

before they started messing with X you could simply edit the xorg.conf to get the resolution/refresh you needed . Given a chance they will "improve" things to the point of complete unuseability .
    Yes but now majority of users doesn't have to think about that anymore it just works. And Xrandr does the job just fine if you have to manually experiment a bit.

I don't need a dock.
    It's like cars. You get the one you want and then stick with it.
    No point in getting a car that might turn into a JCB or a tricycle next month.
    Sure you need a dock in classic desktop session. You have one in Microsoft Windows at the bottom of the screen for example...

Page 6 of 16 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast