Page 11 of 16 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast
Results 101 to 110 of 154

Thread: Chromium Likely to Replace Firefox

  1. #101
    monkeybrain2012 is offline Grande Half-n-Half Cinnamon Ubuntu
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Beans
    874

    Re: Chromium Likely to Replace Firefox

    The basis of their whole argument to switch is that Chrome offers better "user experience" (which is defined in a weird way if you follow their discussions) because it is getting more popular than FF on the proprietary platforms and therefore Ubuntu should switch too.

    Well first of all user experience on other platforms may different from Linux, secondly higher user adoption rate doesn't necessarily equate better user experience. I mean, following that logic why not ditch Ubuntu (and Mac too) all together? By far Windows has the higest adopton rate on desktops.

    But most importantly and obviously, Chrome is not Chromium. You have to do a lot of hacks just to comparable functionalities (they actually planned to talk to evince guys to get a pdf reader in Chromium) and it seems that it will take a lot of work to just get it up to date. So what are the regular users going to think if they expect Chrome experience (following the premise of the Chromium advocates), they will either think that Chromium is some shady knockoff of Chrome lacking many of its functions or that even Chrome doesn't work as well in Ubuntu therefore the OS is crap. Is this the point they want to get across?

    Last I check Mark S still claims that Ubuntu is committed to showcasing FOSS, well now you have Firefox it is on par with any proprietary browser (including Chrome) if not better, so how is it a good advertisment for FOSS by using as default a browser (Chromium) which is clearly inferior to its proprietary counterpart (Chrome)?
    Last edited by monkeybrain2012; June 15th, 2013 at 09:30 PM.

  2. #102
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    New Hampshire, U.S.A.
    Beans
    2,604
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

    Re: Chromium Likely to Replace Firefox

    What's FOSS? Is there a website?

  3. #103
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Beans
    142

    Re: Chromium Likely to Replace Firefox

    Quote Originally Posted by jerrylamos View Post
    What's FOSS? Is there a website?


    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Free_and_open-source_software


    http://www.ifossf.org/
    Last edited by xeizo; June 15th, 2013 at 09:39 PM.
    Ubuntu Gnome 13.10 Asus P5Q-DeLuxe C2Q Q9450@3.2GHz 8GB Nvidia GTX650Ti 1GB Asus Xonar Essence ST Crucial M4 64GB(system) 3TB storage Corsair VX450 Xigmatek Asgard

  4. #104
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    New York, NY
    Beans
    1,287
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

    Re: Chromium Likely to Replace Firefox

    Yeah i am starting to think that if they aren't going to have the "real thing' (lol) Chrome which has it all...then it is pointless to change the current default browser...
    As far as an earlier comment questioning whether chrome is as good on linux as it is on mac and windows, well i can't speak fro mac (since i haven't used it in about 2 years) but i DID recently use it on Windows and yes, it is every bit as good on linux as it is on windows...in fact, i think it is better on linux....but again, Ubuntu has no interest in going Chrome it would seem, only Chromium which is quite inferior indeed...

    Can't figure ubuntu's hang up about having the (licensed) chrome when it happily installs proprietary drivers...
    Last edited by craig10x; June 15th, 2013 at 09:46 PM.

  5. #105
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Beans
    142

    Re: Chromium Likely to Replace Firefox

    Quote Originally Posted by monkeybrain2012 View Post
    The basis of their whole argument to switch is that Chrome offers better "user experience" (which is defined in a weird way if you follow their discussions) because it is getting more popular than FF on the proprietary platforms and therefore Ubuntu should switch too.

    Well first of all user experience on other platforms may different from Linux, secondly higher user adoption rate doesn't necessarily equate better user experience. I mean, following that logic why not ditch Ubuntu (and Mac too) all together? By far Windows has the higest adopton rate on desktops.

    But most importantly and obviously, Chrome is not Chromium. You have to do a lot of hacks just to comparable functionalities (they actually planned to talk to evince guys to get a pdf reader in Chromium) and it seems that it will take a lot of work to just get it up to date. So what are the regular users going to think if they expect Chrome experience (following the premise of the Chromium advocates), they will either think that Chromium is some shady knockoff of Chrome lacking many of its functions or that even Chrome doesn't work as well in Ubuntu therefore the OS is crap. Is this the point they want to get across?

    Last I check Mark S still claims that Ubuntu is committed to showcasing FOSS, well now you have Firefox it is on par with any proprietary browser (including Chrome) if not better, so how is it a good advertisment for FOSS by using as default a browser (Chromium) which is clearly inferior to its proprietary counterpart (Chrome)?
    Great post, exactly my opinion!
    Ubuntu Gnome 13.10 Asus P5Q-DeLuxe C2Q Q9450@3.2GHz 8GB Nvidia GTX650Ti 1GB Asus Xonar Essence ST Crucial M4 64GB(system) 3TB storage Corsair VX450 Xigmatek Asgard

  6. #106
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Beans
    699

    Re: Chromium Likely to Replace Firefox

    Can't figure ubuntu's hang up about having the (licensed) chrome when it happily installs proprietary drivers...
    Proprietary drivers are not instaled by default but the user does have the possibility to install them manually (the same choice applies to Steam client or Google Chrome web browser for example).

  7. #107
    monkeybrain2012 is offline Grande Half-n-Half Cinnamon Ubuntu
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Beans
    874

    Re: Chromium Likely to Replace Firefox

    Quote Originally Posted by craig10x View Post
    Yeah i am starting to think that if they aren't going to have the "real thing' (lol) Chrome which has it all...then it is pointless to change the current default browser...
    As far as an earlier comment questioning whether chrome is as good on linux as it is on mac and windows, well i can't speak fro mac (since i haven't used it in about 2 years) but i DID recently use it on Windows and yes, it is every bit as good on linux as it is on windows...in fact, i think it is better on linux....but again, Ubuntu has no interest in going Chrome it would seem, only Chromium which is quite inferior indeed...

    Can't figure ubuntu's hang up about having the (licensed) chrome when it happily installs proprietary drivers...
    While Chromium is clearly inferior to FF, I don't think even Chrome is on par. I am only talking about Linux, I don't care how they compare on Windows or Mac.

    The only thing that has it going for Chrome as far as most end users are concerned is flash, but other than flash most media plugins don't work in Chrome/Chromium. Has anyone tried to use gecko-mediaplayer in Chrome/Chromium lately? (and Chromium use the same flash as FF) For the most popular sites like Youtube and Vimeo you don't need flash to play them in FF anyway and there are very very few sites that would actually require up to date flash.

    P.S. I am now on FF with 154 tabs. It is smooth as butter with only the nouveau driver. Chrome would have choked and frozen my computer with less than 1/4 of the tabs. Though perhaps many people don't use as many tabs.
    Last edited by monkeybrain2012; June 15th, 2013 at 10:14 PM.

  8. #108
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    New York, NY
    Beans
    1,287
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

    Re: Chromium Likely to Replace Firefox

    I'll tell you what i like better about Chrome over firefox...

    1) i like the set up for the fonts better...i use the microsoft fonts and they work great in Chrome...when i used them in firefox i could not get it to look as good, even when i boosted the font size a bit (which i do on Chrome where that works great)...and if you use the default firefox setting (let web pages pick their own fonts) i just don't like the look...

    2) Unfortunately, Adobe no longer makes newer versions of flash for linux but does have an agreement with Google for pepper and provides the very latest versions...In Firefox you are stuck with an outdated version of flash that only gets security updates...and Firefox has no such agreement with adobe for newer versions...

    3) Lastly, i think web pages render somewhat nicer in Chrome, in fact the looks very much reminds me of the way web pages looked when i ran a mac and used safari which i thought looked fantastic...and Chrome, being a "cousin" of sorts to Safari (both use the web kit base) has identical rendering...

    4) Oh, i also love the way the settings are laid out, and there is a great extension for gmail notification (called Google Mail Classic) that works great!

    I like Firefox but absolutely love Chrome...best browser i have ever experienced...Chrome also feels more modern but by the way, you should know that down the road versions of firefox that they are working on will actually be a lot more "chrome like" so i guess they must admire it too That's coming in October: http://www.digitaltrends.com/computi...e-for-october/
    Last edited by craig10x; June 15th, 2013 at 10:39 PM.

  9. #109
    monkeybrain2012 is offline Grande Half-n-Half Cinnamon Ubuntu
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Beans
    874

    Re: Chromium Likely to Replace Firefox

    Quote Originally Posted by craig10x View Post
    I'll tell you what i like better about Chrome over firefox...

    1) i like the set up for the fonts better...i use the microsoft fonts and they work great in Chrome...when i used them in firefox i could not get it to look as good, even when i boosted the font size a bit (which i do on Chrome where that works great)...and if you use the default firefox setting (let web pages pick their own fonts) i just don't like the look...

    2) Unfortunately, Adobe no longer makes newer versions of flash for linux but does have an agreement with Google for pepper and provides the very latest versions...In Firefox you are stuck with an outdated version of flash that only gets security updates...and Firefox has no such agreement with adobe for newer versions...

    3) Lastly, i think web pages render somewhat nicer in Chrome, in fact the looks very much reminds me of the way web pages looked when i ran a mac and used safari which i thought looked fantastic...and Chrome, being a "cousin" of sorts to Safari (both use the web kit base) has identical rendering...

    4) Oh, i also love the way the settings are laid out, and there is a great extension for gmail notification (called Google Mail Classic) that works great!

    I like Firefox but absolutely love Chrome...best browser i have ever experienced...Chrome also feels more modern but by the way, you should know that down the road versions of firefox that they are working on will actually be a lot more "chrome like" so i guess they must admire it too
    1. I don't pollute my Linux installations with MS fonts.

    2. As mentioned above, very few sites actually require up to date flash, there are scripts to play viedos in the most popular ones without flash anyway and they perform much better than flash (use mplayer) So honestly, flash is not that big a deal as people make it out to be. I am waiting for Mozilla Shumaway to make flash plugin completely unnecessary even before flash actually dies.

    However, many non flash media contents don't work in Chrome but in FF.

    3. That is subjective. I hate Safari.

    4.Install the gnome theme addon to Firfefox and uncheck "menu bar" in View you can get the "modern look" https://addons.mozilla.org/en-us/firefox/addon/adwaita/
    I don't care for being nagged about email, but if you like that there is FF gmail notifier addon as well
    https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/fir...r-restartless/

    See how infinitely extendible FF is? Then there are other addons like user-agent-switcher, downthemall, videodownloadhelper and adblock plus that don't have counterparts in Chrome or don't work as well (adblock plus)
    Last edited by monkeybrain2012; June 15th, 2013 at 10:54 PM.

  10. #110
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    New York, NY
    Beans
    1,287
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

    Re: Chromium Likely to Replace Firefox

    Maybe i will like firefox more when version 25 comes out (that's when it will become more chrome like)
    I'll also be curious to see if the fonts section has been changed at all so i can give that part another spin...
    Perhaps Firefox 25 will make the Ubuntu 13.10 release, so i will explore it first...should be interesting...

    Well, i am not thrilled with microsoft but i do kind of like their fonts
    The default fonts that Chrome uses is actually pretty nice but i seem to always end up adding the ms ones in anyway...

Page 11 of 16 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •