Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: No space/Not owned Wine error

Beans

No space/Not owned Wine error

I have wine 1.5.29. Ubuntu version 13.04.

When i try to instal a game with wine it says that there is no free space on the disk. However I have more than 400GB.
    Filesystem Size Used Avail Use% Mounted on
    /dev/sda1 455G 11G 422G 3% /
    none 4.0K 0 4.0K 0% /sys/fs/cgroup
    udev 1.9G 12K 1.9G 1% /dev
    tmpfs 382M 884K 381M 1% /run
    none 5.0M 0 5.0M 0% /run/lock
    none 1.9G 80K 1.9G 1% /run/shm
    none 100M 64K 100M 1% /run/user

ANY directory I choose I get there is no free space error, even though I can download anything. So there is something wrong with Wine. Moreover, if I type: sudo wine aa.exe, I get: /home/username/.wine is not owned by you. Is this the problem? I have a fresh instal of Ubuntu and a fresh, clean disk. No Windows installed with Ubuntu. I am the only user on the computer.

Beans

Re: No space/Not owned Wine error

Bump. Anyone?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Don't run Wine as root.

If you don't have write permissions on your ~/.wine folder then your Windows application will not be able to create its files and will think you're out of disk space.

Correct your ownership and permissions problems and stop running random things as root.
    None but ourselves can free our minds

Beans

What does running random things as root? I don't use the terminal to run them. I do it through GUI. That means running it through root? And I seem to have the permision to write. Maybe you could write a command needed for this? Because i tried looking for it on other threads but couldn't find it.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by tomaspkr View Post
    What does running random things as root? I don't use the terminal to run them. I do it through GUI.
    This
    if I type: sudo wine aa.exe, I get: /home/username/.wine is not owned by you.
    is running Wine as root. Don't do that.

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/RootSudo

The error message could be because your ~/.wine directory isn't owned by root, which should be true, or it might mean that by running things as root it's no longer owned by your user.

Or the application might not work in Wine.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by CatKiller View Post
    This

is running Wine as root. Don't do that.

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/RootSudo

The error message could be because your ~/.wine directory isn't owned by root, which should be true, or it might mean that by running things as root it's no longer owned by your user.

Or the application might not work in Wine.
    Sorry, but I did uninstall wine completely and ran it without using root (through the terminal). It still says I don't have enough free space. My C: disk has 300GB of space. I used the guides on winewiki to install it. I also found the section there about the free space issue. I tried to set the application to run on Windows 98, as the guide suggested, but that didn't work. I am sure this game should work, because people had installed it in the past. Would installing Windows and the moving the game to linux directory help, because as far as I remember, the game could just be copied and it would work just fine. Or would that cause some issues for wine? Also, my Ubuntu is not installed using wubi. It is a proper install.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Sorry, but I did uninstall wine completely and ran it without using root (through the terminal).
    That won't do anything to your ~/.wine folder, I'm afraid.

It still says I don't have enough free space. My C: disk has 300GB of space. I used the guides on winewiki to install it. I also found the section there about the free space issue. I tried to set the application to run on Windows 98, as the guide suggested, but that didn't work. I am sure this game should work, because people had installed it in the past.
    Without knowing what the game is, or which guide you followed, it's impossible to comment. If it's a known problem with this game then it probably isn't a permissions problem. This is the kind of information that would have been useful in your first post.

Your post also isn't clear on how exactly it didn't work.

Would installing Windows and the moving the game to linux directory help, because as far as I remember, the game could just be copied and it would work just fine. Or would that cause some issues for wine? Also, my Ubuntu is not installed using wubi. It is a proper install.
    Maybe. Sometimes that works and sometimes it doesn't. It's not a case of causing issues for Wine, it's just that game publishers tend to go out of their way to make that kind of thing not work.

Beans

My game is Lineage 2 c5. I tried installing a bigger app and it had no problems. Something is wrong with this game. I know people played it on Linux so it should be possible to fix it. By the way, thank you for your time.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Are you using 64-bit Wine? I've found a very old forum post that suggested 32-bit Wine as a workaround for this problem with this game. It's not one that I have any experience with.

Beans

I used the 1.1.6 version of wine, as the game was tested using it, and it worked. Thanks for pointing that other wine versions should work. (tried to use 32-bit, but don't know whether I succeeded in doing that, since the installer didn't work). I used playonlinux to use the older wine version.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast