Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: hello, brand new........

Beans

Re: hello, brand new........

thanks folks! Why haven't I heard of this before? lol I had heard of Linux, long ago, from a computer guru friend of mine. But I had no idea. To be honest (and slightly embarrassed) the only computer games I play are the silly face book games. Mindless entertainment for a lunch break. I like my X-Box for real games.
    Would I need to transfer all my photos, music and such to a stick or does it migrate over? The only other item I run is my printer. Sounds like drivers are easy to find.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

I think Ubuntu will try to transfer your files from windows if you allow it to 'install side by side with windows'(which is often called dual booting) but it's not something I'd trust. If you are looking to just install Ubuntu an d overwrite windows completely then yes backup your files on a USB or use a service like dropbox. If you use Firefox or Thunderbird you can also copy the entire contents of the respective profiles and copy them into the new profiles onto Ubuntu and keep all your old emails and browser settings. Other browsers and email clients might have an import and export section.

Printers can be problematic on Linux but someone is most likely to have the same printer as you and been able to get it working.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by jimpierce7 View Post
    thanks folks! Why haven't I heard of this before? lol I had heard of Linux, long ago, from a computer guru friend of mine. But I had no idea. To be honest (and slightly embarrassed) the only computer games I play are the silly face book games. Mindless entertainment for a lunch break. I like my X-Box for real games.
    Those should work just fine.
    Would I need to transfer all my photos, music and such to a stick or does it migrate over?
    Yes backup. Linux uses different file system(s) than windows. some systems are way more advanced than NTFS or FAT32 that widnows uses. anyway reformat of disk will be done on install (or at least of partition if you know how to do it). data will bo erased.

however booting form DVD or USB stick and selecting try it will not touch the hard disk (unless you tell it to). in fact you can take the hard disk out and boot form USB/DVD. instead it will load all operating system into RAM and all settings and installations will be lost when you reboot the computer (that is unless you are using USB stick with persistence file- in that case data & changes will be saved to USB). anyway this is called live session and it will be quite a bit slower than real session. but it's a good way to try a few things. those games probably won't work as flash needs to be installed for that.

The only other item I run is my printer. Sounds like drivers are easy to find.
    what printer model is it? some drivers already come with the system.
    Easy to understand Ubuntu manual with lots of pics: http://ubuntu-manual.org/
    Do i need antivirus/firewall in linux?
    User friendly disk backup: Redobackup

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Just as a note:

For image editing, there is great software for sale as well.
    Take a look at Corel Aftershot Pro. It's available for Windows,
    Mac and Linux (both 32 and 64 bit). It even takes full advantage
    of Nvidia CUDA tech and more.

So, besides a lot of great free software, there is some great
    commercial software as well

Beans

My printer is an Epson Stylus photo R260

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Welcome, Jim! Running Linux is a security boon from the start. If you like Valve titles, Steam is available on Ubuntu to enjoy. There are FOSS tools for photography like GIMP; perhaps, you could get your hands dirty on those.

Whenever you need, the community has your back.
    John J. Kim (IRC: kotux)
    High School Senior / Ubuntu User # 35405
    www.launchpad.net/~kotux
    "Let your performance do the thinking." --Charlotte Bronte

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Hi. I wanted to mention that if you're a Chrome user, when you install Chromium in Ubuntu, when you sign in with your Google password, all of your bookmarks are there.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

HP printers are probably the best if you want something to run out of the box.

Epson may not be plug n play. If it does work the drivers will be much more basic than the Windows drivers.
    Last edited by Bartender; May 18th, 2013 at 03:04 AM.

Beans

but you cannot play heavy MORPG games here

Beans

I have played a few Valve titles actually. Been awhile. The whole reason I started looking at other options popped up again today. mixi dj or something like that. Piggy backs on something. Only this time it didn't get installed. But still.
    I have been using Firefox for a long time and my current PC seems to like T-bird really well too.

The more I think about it, the more I like the idea. You all say there are many options as to the look or feel of Ubuntu, we are due for a new printer before too long anyway. Wiping the slate clean and a new system. All that and I'm ready to learn something new too.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast