Hey all! I've been using Ubuntu 12.04 LTS for almost a month now and I love it! I wanted to start playing some old Steam games on it, but I have out of date drivers, so I get an error message at Steam's launch. I am using a GeForce 6200. To update my drivers, I went to the nVidia website and got the latest drivers for my system. The only way I could get them was as a .run file. I executed them in terminal as described on the Ubuntu website and got error messages about the X environment and such. I learned that I had to use Ctrl + Alt + F1 to go to a command line and exit the GUI. When I pressed those keys, the screen flickered and had lines all over it. I couldn't do anything except Ctrl + Alt + F7. That took me back to the desktop GUI, but the background had the same lines from the "command line" screen. It stayed like that until I did a reboot. I tried updating everything, no help. I had no programs running. I also tried the terminal command "sudo service lightdm stop" didn't help, same lines on the screen.

So, any ides on how to fix it? Thanks!