Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 21 to 30 of 30

Thread: Saucy and Gnome Session Fallback

  1. #21
    dino99's Avatar
    dino99 is offline Ubuntu addict and loving it
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Nux Jam
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

    Re: Saucy and Gnome Session Fallback

    Quote Originally Posted by tista View Post
    Hi guys,

    I've been living with Mutter as a fallback session but, now 3.8 or higher can't expose any desktop background images on running mutter as "stand-alone" window-manager...

    So I asked Ray, a main developer of mutter, then he told me "Today Mutter doesn't support any fallback sessions as a window-manager".
    If there was someone guys who runs mutter as a fallback window-manager like me, please go back to metacity...
    Yeah my bug report for it on Bugzilla was changed status to "resolved"... so sad!!

    1st attached shot shows mutter's desktop with 3.9.1, and 2nd one shows metacity's desktop as well.

    Best Regards,
    Tista
    Thanks for the heads up and happy to see you back here
    have you opened a launchpad report about that confirmed issue ?

  2. #22
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Niigata, JAPAN
    Beans
    862
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

    Re: Saucy and Gnome Session Fallback

    Hi dino99!!

    And not yet on lunchpad, hopefully because I want jelemy to confirm this issue first before posting to launcpad, you know.
    Anyway I'll open that report on launchpad soon...

    P.S
    what a nice "salamander" avatar!!

  3. #23
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    West Palm Beach,FL,USA
    Beans
    361
    Distro
    Ubuntu

    Re: Saucy and Gnome Session Fallback

    Today 2013/05/20 just for fun I installed Saucy 32 Bits and after all was done and set I decided to install Gnome Session Fallback and completely remove Unity just to see if it worked and it did,as a result I now have a clean install of Saucy Classic 13.10 and I also removed a bunch of Apps that I had no use for.If you want to try it here we go:

    sudo apt-get install gnome-session-fallback
    sudo apt-get purge unity*
    sudo apt-get install nautilus
    sudo apt-get autoremove
    sudo apt-get autoclean
    sudo reboot
    sudo dpkg --purge `dpkg -l | egrep "^rc" | cut -d' ' -f3`

    after all was done I removed a bunch of Apps:
    sudo apt-get purge aisleriot* baobab* empathy-common* gir1.2-rb-3.0* gnome-disk-utility* gnome-mahjongg* gnome-mines* gnome-orca* gnome-sudoku* gnomine* librhythmbox-core6* libsyncdaemon-1.0-1* onboard* overlay-scrollbar* overlay-scrollbar-gtk2* overlay-scrollbar-gtk3* python-ubuntuone-client* python-ubuntuone-control-panel* python-ubuntuone-storageprotocol* remmina* remmina-common* remmina-plugin-rdp* remmina-plugin-vnc* rhythmbox* rhythmbox-data* rhythmbox-mozilla* rhythmbox-plugin-magnatune* rhythmbox-plugin-zeitgeist* rhythmbox-plugins* rhythmbox-ubuntuone* ubuntu-sso-client-qt* ubuntuone-client* ubuntuone-client-data* ubuntuone-client-gnome* ubuntuone-control-panel* ubuntuone-control-panel-qt* usb-creator-common* xdiagnose* xterm* && sudo apt-get autoremove && sudo apt-get autoclean

    Warning! Use Gnome Session Fallback with Atomatic Login if you turn it Off you are in trouble....
    If you get in trouble I suggest you take your HD out and hook it up to another PC and then modify the lighdm.conf file:
    gksudo nautilus
    go to etc/lightdm and open lightdm.conf file with Text Editor and change it to this:

    [SeatDefaults]
    user-session=ubuntu
    greeter-session=unity-greeter
    autologin-user=(your user name)
    allow-guest=false

    now save it and take the drive to your pc and reboot.
    Last edited by kuvanito; May 21st, 2013 at 04:36 AM.

  4. #24
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    ExodusHair<Čubura
    Beans
    4,449
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

    Re: Saucy and Gnome Session Fallback

    Quote Originally Posted by kuvanito View Post
    Today 2013/05/20 just for fun I installed Saucy 32 Bits and after all was done and set I decided to install Gnome Session Fallback and completely remove Unity just to see if it worked and it did,as a result I now have a clean install of Saucy Classic 13.10 and I also removed a bunch of Apps that I had no use for.If you want to try it here we go:

    sudo apt-get install gnome-session-fallback
    sudo apt-get purge unity*
    sudo apt-get install nautilus
    sudo apt-get autoremove
    sudo apt-get autoclean
    sudo reboot
    sudo dpkg --purge `dpkg -l | egrep "^rc" | cut -d' ' -f3`

    after all was done I removed a bunch of Apps:
    sudo apt-get purge aisleriot* baobab* empathy-common* gir1.2-rb-3.0* gnome-disk-utility* gnome-mahjongg* gnome-mines* gnome-orca* gnome-sudoku* gnomine* librhythmbox-core6* libsyncdaemon-1.0-1* onboard* overlay-scrollbar* overlay-scrollbar-gtk2* overlay-scrollbar-gtk3* python-ubuntuone-client* python-ubuntuone-control-panel* python-ubuntuone-storageprotocol* remmina* remmina-common* remmina-plugin-rdp* remmina-plugin-vnc* rhythmbox* rhythmbox-data* rhythmbox-mozilla* rhythmbox-plugin-magnatune* rhythmbox-plugin-zeitgeist* rhythmbox-plugins* rhythmbox-ubuntuone* ubuntu-sso-client-qt* ubuntuone-client* ubuntuone-client-data* ubuntuone-client-gnome* ubuntuone-control-panel* ubuntuone-control-panel-qt* usb-creator-common* xdiagnose* xterm* && sudo apt-get autoremove && sudo apt-get autoclean

    Warning! Use Gnome Session Fallback with Atomatic Login if you turn it Off you are in trouble....
    If you get in trouble I suggest you take your HD out and hook it up to another PC and then modify the lighdm.conf file:
    gksudo nautilus
    go to etc/lightdm and open lightdm.conf file with Text Editor and change it to this:

    [SeatDefaults]
    user-session=ubuntu
    greeter-session=unity-greeter
    autologin-user=(your user name)
    allow-guest=false

    now save it and take the drive to your pc and reboot.
    Thank You for this advice about moving HD to another PC... I am still laughning!
    Should that other PC be in another state...?

  5. #25
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    West Palm Beach,FL,USA
    Beans
    361
    Distro
    Ubuntu

    Re: Saucy and Gnome Session Fallback

    Quote Originally Posted by zika View Post
    Thank You for this advice about moving HD to another PC... I am still laughning!
    Should that other PC be in another state...?
    laugh all you want,hehehehehe me 2
    BUT since I had no luck with the Live OS I also could not do it from the Grub Menu ( for unknown reasons)
    and since I really test Ubu and have half a dozen HD with the same installation and credential it was pretty easy to do

  6. #26
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Beta Testing in Canada
    Beans
    8,017
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

    Re: Saucy and Gnome Session Fallback

    Quote Originally Posted by kuvanito View Post
    laugh all you want,hehehehehe me 2
    BUT since I had no luck with the Live OS I also could not do it from the Grub Menu ( for unknown reasons)
    and since I really test Ubu and have half a dozen HD with the same installation and credential it was pretty easy to do
    Actually Ubuntu will work from one hdd on one PC to another most of the time without modification. On some occasions there will be a conflict if you have a nvidia driver installed and you switch it to an intel based machine.
    This is Rolling Release
    Warnings for New Beta Testers& Helpful Terminal Commands:
    Running 15.10 on Mobo: MSI model: B85-G41 PC Mate(MS-7850) v: 1.0

  7. #27
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    ExodusHair<Čubura
    Beans
    4,449
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

    Re: Saucy and Gnome Session Fallback

    Quote Originally Posted by kuvanito View Post
    laugh all you want,hehehehehe me 2
    BUT since I had no luck with the Live OS I also could not do it from the Grub Menu ( for unknown reasons)
    and since I really test Ubu and have half a dozen HD with the same installation and credential it was pretty easy to do
    tty?

  8. #28
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    West Palm Beach,FL,USA
    Beans
    361
    Distro
    Ubuntu

    Re: Saucy and Gnome Session Fallback

    Quote Originally Posted by zika View Post
    tty?
    sure!

  9. #29
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    West Palm Beach,FL,USA
    Beans
    361
    Distro
    Ubuntu

    Re: Saucy and Gnome Session Fallback

    what I am trying to say guys is that in one of my installations and after playing around with fallback I purged Unity and it did worked fine,I mean 13.10 with no unity at all just lightdm and fallback as the only desktop,it does work but you can not have it passworded it must automatic login if for any reason you choose to login with a password you are in trouble,since half of ubuntu is GONE the terminal will not work Grub acts weird and the only choice I had to modify my lightdm.conf was to have the hdd phisically moved to my pc as a usb hdd and then I was able to do it,restart my pc with the hdd modified and bang! it worked again,you know the BSD (black screen of death) i like to play,i mean really play around with ubu to check the limits of it,removing unity is something I do almost once a day sudo apt-get purge unity* some desktops work by itself with no unity and others must be side by side with unity.have you seen a pic of my machine?
    i can change hard drives in a second(two swap bays)
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by kuvanito; May 22nd, 2013 at 11:00 AM.

  10. #30
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    ExodusHair<Čubura
    Beans
    4,449
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

    Re: Saucy and Gnome Session Fallback

    Quote Originally Posted by kuvanito View Post
    what I am trying to say guys is that in one of my installations and after playing around with fallback I purged Unity and it did worked fine,I mean 13.10 with no unity at all just lightdm and fallback as the only desktop,it does work but you can not have it passworded it must automatic login if for any reason you choose to login with a password you are in trouble,since have of ubuntu is GONE the terminal will not work Grub acts weird and the only choice I had to modify my lightdm.conf was to have the hdd phisically moved to my pc as a usb hdd and then I was able to do it,restart my pc with the hdd modified and bang! it worked again,you know the BSD (black screen of death) i like to play,i mean really play around with ubu to check the limits of it,removing unity is something I do almost once a day sudo apt-get purge unity* some desktops work by itself with no unity and others must be side by side with unity.have you seen a pic of my machine?
    i can change hard drives in a second(two swap bays)
    Did You try removing all kernels? Does it work then?

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •