Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Why upgrade every 6 months?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Why upgrade every 6 months?

If Linux is your primary daily workhorse, do you upgrade your Linux O/S with every 6 month cycle?

I'm always tempted because of the shiny new bells and whistles, and look at LTS's as "pah, that's old hat", but it's a chore to re-install all the software and setting up my LAMP stack. I know peeps will say, don't upgrade so often then, which is blo*dy obvious.

I'm just curious to find out how often other peeps upgrade, if they use Linux on a daily basis.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Re: Why upgrade every 6 months?

Ubuntu is my main OS and I've stuck to LTS for the last five years. I do test other versions, but they're not my main system.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by Irihapeti View Post
    Ubuntu is my main OS and I've stuck to LTS for the last five years. I do test other versions, but they're not my main system.
    +1. LTS for me. I have a couple of spare partitions for playthings if and when they take my fancy. About to install another 12.04 LTS to fiddle about with Virtualbox and a 13.04 because it has the drivers in the kernel for an external audio interface I have.

I essentially just need a rock solid, stable workhorse that I don't need/want to fiddle with for study/work/everyday.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

I have 12.04 as a fall back OS for when the development branch breaks (and down will come baby cradle and all). Before that I upgraded every six months since 2007. I recently put in another hard disk that is going to be my primary disk and I now have 13.04 as my standby OS even though I will have to upgrade it twice in the next year. Then 14.04 will be my standby OS. I have other installs of Precise, Quantal, Raring and Saucy.

Regards.
    It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.
    Ubuntu user #33,200. Linux user #530,530

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

On my Media Server I usually stick to the LTS versions (but have upgraded earlier for specific features I really want). On my workstations I usually upgrade through the releases... but usually takes me a few months to get around to it after release.

For me the 6 month release cycle is too short. I think they should move to a semi-rolling release model... they won't though.
    Do you folks like coffee?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I hang back with LTS, less surprises.
    clear && echo paste url and press enter; read paste; (youtube-dl $paste) | zenity --progress --title="" --text "Downloading, please wait" --auto-close --pulsate && ans=$(zenity --file-selection); gnome-terminal -x mplayer "$ans"

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by grahammechanical View Post
    I have 12.04 as a fall back OS for when the development branch breaks (and down will come baby cradle and all). Before that I upgraded every six months since 2007. I recently put in another hard disk that is going to be my primary disk and I now have 13.04 as my standby OS even though I will have to upgrade it twice in the next year. Then 14.04 will be my standby OS. I have other installs of Precise, Quantal, Raring and Saucy.

Regards.
    I do the same. 13.04 is working very well for me but I have a 12.04 install for 'just in case'. I keep current backups of critical data files on an external device - or two. Reinstalling *buntu is trivial compared to Windows IMO if required.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

I usually only upgrade if the release I'm running on is getting old (like 2-ish years) or there's something annoying about it that I hope the next release will fix.

That said. I'll be sticking with 12.10 for a while. I had no end to problems with 13.04, so I'll be staying put until some time into the 14s.
    Desktop: Quantal on Core2 Duo E8500/Asus P5Q
    Laptop: Precise on S76 Pangolin

Beans

I started using Ubuntu when 12.04 was still fresh. I'll always (at least try with clonezilla back up made) upgrade, found out that I can clean install Ubuntu and setup everything (and that's a lot - nginx, various dbs, a lot of sw) in around 1.5 hours, which is worth it.

Had bad luck with 12.10, but am fully satisfied with 13.04, which runs much better than 12.04 on my notebook.

Beans

I always keep the LTS on Desktop and only upgrade the laptop for the bells & whistles.

jn

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast