Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: AMD GPU driver 13.4, hang black screen on Ubuntu 12.04.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: AMD GPU driver 13.4, hang black screen on Ubuntu 12.04.

I think I found the issue.

http://support.amd.com/us/kbarticles...easenotes.aspx

It says, 13.4 is designed to support Ubuntu 12.10. I'm using 12.4 that's why...

Now I don't care about my system anymore!!! All I want is my data back. I am ready to do a fresh Ubuntu install.

Is it possible to use Ubuntu CD to repair system partition or do a new install without wiping out all of my data?

I also googled and found the app called Boot-Repair. Will it help me surpass black screen and get me to my desktop?

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1769482

Thanks in advance for your help, my problem is really urgent and I really need help. Googled everywhere but couldn't found anything to fix my problem. This forum is my last hope. I just want my data back.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: AMD GPU driver 13.4, hang black screen on Ubuntu 12.04.

I have managed to repair my Ubuntu without loosing my data. I think it's very little info about this, so I want to share it with you guys. No command line, only GUI and click click click. CHEERS.

1. First, you need Ubuntu CD, here http://www.ubuntu.com/download/desktop . Download the CD image and burn it down with your favorite burner.

2. Put it in your PC/laptop and then set boot priority in the BIOS, set your corresponding Bluray/DVD/CD drive to boot first. From your BIOS menu, save and exit your setting. Reboot your system.

3. Now, you will see installation screen like when you first install Ubuntu. Choose "install" option but we'll actually repair a broken Ubuntu. For now, we'll choose to install Ubuntu.

4. Follow the instructions till you see the partition manager screen. This is very important step.

- First, you need to know about your partitions. Normally, your Ubuntu partitions will be in ext4 format while your Windows partitions will be in NTFS format. This is easy.

- Next, Ubuntu uses 3 partitions setup. Root ( / ) where your system files locate. Boot ( /boot ) where your boot loader files locate. Home ( /home ) where you data in Home folder(It included your desktop, my document, my pictures, my musics, and everything else where you don't need root permission to read/write the files.) locate. And lastly, it's optional for using Ubuntu but it's a recommend option, SWAP partition, which will show as Unknow format.

- You will need to reconfigure those 3 or 4 partitions. But the real problem is, in partition manager page, it doesn't show you what partition is your root, boot, home, and swap. But you can tell what partition is your root (where your Ubuntu's system files were installed) by choosing in the where to install your boot loader dialog. It will show you the partition and Ubuntu name after it, this is your root partition. For your boot partition, normally it's the smallest one out of the 4. Your home is the biggest one out of the 4. And your swap is in the unknow format.

- Select your root partition and click "change" button. Choose ext4 file system, and mount it as "/" . Don't tick "format" box!!! You must not format any partition if you want to repair it.

-Select your boot partition and click "change" button. Choose ext4 file system, and mount it as "/boot" . Don't tick "format" box!!! You must not format any partition if you want to repair it.

- Select your home partition and click "change" button. Choose ext4 file system, and mount it as "/home" . Don't tick "format" box!!! You must not format any partition if you want to repair it.

- Select your swap partition and click "change" button. Choose ext4 file system, and mount it as "swap" . Don't tick "format" box!!! You must not format any partition if you want to repair it.

5. Choose your boot loader partition the same as your /boot and hit the install button to repair your Ubuntu. While it's installing your Ubuntu, you should see the page where you have to choose your username and password. You have to set your username and password THE SAME as before you do this repair process.

After rebooted, you should be able to boot into Ubuntu flawlessly.

My suggestion to Ubuntu team would be, please make repair process more easily. First, it can be very confusing if I have to choose "install" button to repair my system.

***If you can't log in to your username but able to log in as guest. You may have to setup some gdm thing. See instructions here http://askubuntu.com/questions/13952...o-ubuntu-12-04 ***

Sorry, I have no screenshot as I don't know how to capture the screen while I'm in setup stage. I think this method can solve any system relate problem without losing your data. The downside is that you have to re-download all apps again not even count reconfigure them will consume your time and productivity. But it's your last resort if no one can help you and you don't know how to fix a specific problem. And sorry if my English is bad.
    Last edited by Kreaninw; May 17th, 2013 at 05:34 PM. Reason: Add more info.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345