• Yes

2 22.22%
  • No

7 77.78%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: is ubuntu going to terminate Brainstorm

Beans

Re: is ubuntu going to terminate Brainstorm

But brainstorm was a place for suggestions so I dont approve of it being lost.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

http://www.markshuttleworth.com/contact-details <--- You can always just send suggestions here
    I do.. an inordinate amount of that. lol
    clear && echo paste url and press enter; read paste; (youtube-dl $paste) | zenity --progress --title="" --text "Downloading, please wait" --auto-close --pulsate && ans=$(zenity --file-selection); gnome-terminal -x mplayer "$ans"

Beans

Brainstorm never really worked as it was supposed to, but it was nice to have a place to send people who came to this forum with their grand, earth-shattering ideas and then complained that "the community" wouldn't listen to them.

Beans

On Phoronix:"user interest is no longer there" ... hahaha! Certainly ... because suggesting ideas on Brainstorm is useless. Proof:

"The Ubuntu community has contributed 22700 ideas", of which ... 1 idea has been implemented in 12.10: http://brainstorm.ubuntu.com/implemented_ideas/12.10/

Next step please: make clear that https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+bugs is only for reporting bugs and agreeing between users, and not for getting them solved or for getting any serious feedback from developers. There seem to be only bots responding with useless remarks like "bug report removed because it was not updated in the last 40 days".

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Removed double post.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

I thought the brainstorm website was a good idea. It still is. It's the rest of the machine that is broken. People will lose interest if they aren't being heard. Roadmaps for Ubuntu development are published, but only a tiny fraction of the brainstorm inputs are incorporated. "Why bother?"

I respect Jorge's decision to close it down, but brainstorm was not the problem. The website was like a community stationary bike where anyone could jump on and pedal for a while to generate electricity for the global village. People stopped pedalling when they found a big fat wire stuck into the ground. Who wants to waste their time generating electricity that goes straight to ground?

I'm not sure which is worse: creating a brainstorm website to solicit ideas to give the impression of community then shutting it down, or collecting ideas from the community over the past few years and then holding a bonfire of ideas to celebrate.

This whole situation has made me queasy as if I had I invested a lot of money with a hedge fund manager.
    -------------------------------------
    Oooh Shiny: PopularPages

Unumquodque potest reparantur. Patientia sit virtus.

prodigy_ is offline May the Ubuntu Be With You!
    Beans

At least it's a logical step. Why have a project like Brainstorm when nobody on the development team is listening?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

There's something like 47 pages of implemented ideas, and the tech board routinely responded to the top ideas for every cycle. The problem with Brainstorm is that it was supposed to be a collaborative place between users and developers, but instead turned into "wishlist-driven-development", which isn't really sustainable.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

There were definitely ideas that were implemented. From memory, I think the "Offer to install a codec when the user first tries to play a file that he/she doesn't have the codec for" feature in Ubuntu came from Brainstorm or its predecessor.

However, there were certainly some crazy ideas. I submitted one about UFW being network-aware; it could turn itself off when you were safely behind your home ADSL modem's firewall, but turn on when you move to unsecured wifi or use a 3G connection. I thought that wasn't a bad idea (I found out later that Windows Vista has this as a feature) but someone came along and proposed a different approach. Their approach was "Turn the firewall off when your computer opens a connection, for example when you click Check Mail, and then as soon as the connection is closed turn the firewall back on again". This solution got lots of votes, despite being completely technically wrong.
    I try to treat the cause, not the symptom. I avoid the terminal in instructions, unless it's easier or necessary. My instructions will work within the Ubuntu system, instead of breaking or subverting it. Those are the three guarantees to the helpee.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Quote Originally Posted by 3rdalbum View Post
    However, there were certainly some crazy ideas. I submitted one about UFW being network-aware; it could turn itself off when you were safely behind your home ADSL modem's firewall, but turn on when you move to unsecured wifi or use a 3G connection. I thought that wasn't a bad idea (I found out later that Windows Vista has this as a feature) but someone came along and proposed a different approach. Their approach was "Turn the firewall off when your computer opens a connection, for example when you click Check Mail, and then as soon as the connection is closed turn the firewall back on again". This solution got lots of votes, despite being completely technically wrong.

LOL! so basicly turn it off when going online and then turning it on when going offline....

well but some ideas were good. brainstorming usually involves crazy ideas. however the ones like mentioned above should be filtered out before voting...
    Read the easy to understand, lots of pics Ubuntu manual.
    Do i need antivirus/firewall in linux?
    Full disk backup (newer kernel -> suitable for newer PC): Clonezilla
    User friendly full disk backup: Rescuezilla

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast