Thread: Recovered Hard Drive Data

Beans

Recovered Hard Drive Data

So basically my girlfriend's computer crashed and her hard drive became unbootable, so I plugged it in to my desktop running ubuntu 13.04 and made a disk image of the working files using a program I can't remember the name of, I then extracted the non-corrupt files from that disk using another program which unfortunately I also cannot remember the name of.

However this program has ordered the recovered data not in the way it was on the hard drive, but in folders based on file type. For example: jpg, png, wav. She had masses of important photos from throughout her life which weren't backed up...

I know for sure all the photos she needs are in the jpg folder, but the problem is they're mixed in with half a million other pointless photos such as system images and music artwork etc. In fact, the file is so big I can't even open it to sort through them.

I've tried putting them in to folders of 10,000 but that was still far too many to deal with even though I could open the folders. Not to mention that there were duplicates of the pictures because the application they were stored in created thumbnails of each photo in different sizes.

I still have the orignal image of the hard drive if anyone knows a way to recover the data as it was on the hard drive.

I desperately need to recover those images and any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance, James.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate Development Release

Re: Recovered Hard Drive Data

Would help us to know the filesystem format used on the original drive. That would give some ideas on what alternative apps to consider.
    Ubuntu 17.04 Mate, Mint 18.1 Mate; MS Win 8.1, MS Win10 Pro.
    Will not respond to PM requests for support -- use the forums.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

You may be able to use the meta-data that photos & music files have inside them.

Use scripts to help sort and rename files:
    http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/After_Using_PhotoRec
    For more info on UEFI boot install & repair - Regularly Updated :
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to change to [Solved] when/if answered completely.

Beans

It was NTFS file system before, thank you for the meta-data info I'll check it out!