Page 11 of 17 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Proposed: Chromium as Ubuntu's default browser

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Re: Proposed: Chromium as Ubuntu's default browser

Tracking your behavior? What do you think your search engines do? your web browser? and probably a lot of websites you use frequently... same thing...6 of one half a dozen of the other....
    The only way any of you "privacy hounds" can get totally privacy is to...here comes the obvious...stop using the internet completely

I wish ubuntu would make chrome the default (not that it matters to me that much as i download and install it in 5 minutes) still, would be nice...
    Zorin Os has Chrome as the default...of course, they are small...
    Last edited by craig10x; June 10th, 2013 at 01:36 AM.

Beans

I want this browser on my system! http://spikes.com/
    Cheers & Beers, uRock
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

I think you mean you want it not on your system. = ) An odd but intriguing concept, a lot like running a browser through a VM and with less overhead. All that hardware separation seems like it'd be a pain, though, for some features - while it would certainly stop Flash adverts from stealing your camera and mic, it might make Google Hangouts a bit more complicated to set up.

I kinda want to know how the browser itself looks and works - I mean, is the interface another Chromium respin, I wonder? (Not that that would make it any less unique a product!)
    I know I shouldn't use tildes for decoration, but they always make me feel at home~

Beans

Honestly that would be a reason for me to stop using Ubuntu.

Yes, I know that it's open source and all, but it's still made by google. I don't trust google.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by kahrkunne View Post
    Honestly that would be a reason for me to stop using Ubuntu.

Yes, I know that it's open source and all, but it's still made by google. I don't trust google.
    Why would it be a reason to stop using ubuntu? Removing Chromium and installing Firefox can be done in one command.
    Code:
    sudo apt-get remove chromium-browser && sudo apt-get install firefox -y
    Cheers & Beers, uRock
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Also, he doesn't trust Google but he does trust search engines, all the websites he visits, social media he participates with (say like facebook, twitter, etc) and so on and so forth...google doesn't do anything that the rest don't do as well, so why single them out in particular? All i know is, Google makes a great browser (Chrome) which i love better then any other browser i have used...and i would like to see it as the default browser (rather then chromium actually)...but i guess there is just no way that will happen...

Beans

monkeybrain2012 is offline Grande Half-n-Half Cinnamon Ubuntu
    Beans

In the past few weeks I’ve seen quite a few articles and comments on the possible switch, and in light of those I’d like to focus this discussion a few ways.

1. This is NOT about which browser is better.
    2. This is NOT about which browser has more features or X, Y or Z feature.
    3. Openness and freedom are still part of our core values. However I’d rather not turn this thread into a “who is more open/free” debate.

What is important, and ultimately should be the deciding factor, is the common end user experience. Which browser, in the common case, will be the best for the general end user?
    This doesn't even make any sense. What decides end user experience if not "which browser is better" and "which browser has more features"???

I think some people are just trying to push Chromium and even they know their case is weak.

Beans

It's quite sad that no one has explained clearly why Chromium is so outdated.

The "push" seems to be based on the intended use of "qtwebkit":
    http://ubottu.com/uds-logs/archives/...s-appdev-2.log
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pfONv4GdmEo

In the log, look at the entry for 2013-03-05T18:45:27. There wasn't a response to that.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Question Re: Proposed: Chromium as Ubuntu's default browser

Quote Originally Posted by monkeybrain2012 View Post
    This doesn't even make any sense. What decides end user experience if not "which browser is better" and "which browser has more features"???

I think some people are just trying to push Chromium and even they know their case is weak.
    Depends on what you mean by "better" and what you mean by "features." Consistency and predictable support for unpredictable conditions seem like more important "features" to me than theming or some crazy new tab switcher, for instance (not that either browser in this case has anything to do with those examples.) Fewer buttons can be better than more buttons if the experience is simpler (which probably is in this case an argument for Chromium.) Arguing which browsers are "better" or "best" still has to account for best "for whom" and "at what." (Of course, there's just as much chance for arguing about the "experience" or "average user," too, but I can see why Warner would want to avoid getting into another typical browser war argument of the kind we see in Recurring here; whether just stating those three stipulations has any chance of avoiding that is another question.)
    I know I shouldn't use tildes for decoration, but they always make me feel at home~

Page 11 of 17 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast