Page 4 of 17 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Proposed: Chromium as Ubuntu's default browser

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Re: Proposed: Chromium as Ubuntu's default browser

Quote Originally Posted by shoushikochou View Post
    i thought chromium was chrome
    Chromium is the completely open source version of what becomes google chrome....it is their development channel, then they take it and put some refinements into, and some other tweaks and put it out as Google Chrome (the licensed version)....

Chrome adds such refinements as a built in pdf reader (so you can read pdf files without downloading them to your hard drive, although you still have the option to do so from it, if you so desire) and the "pepperflash" flash plug in (they have an agreement to provide the current version of adobe flash in it) Chromium does not contain those features and for flash, it uses the flash you get in the ubuntu restricted extras...and that flash is old and only gets security updates and no new versions because adobe dropped it for linux (except for pepperflash with google)....

Chrome also automatically adds a "ppa updater" to your software sources so you always get the latest version through ubuntu's software updater...
    And the Chrome version is always more up-to-date then Chromium is (Chromium is still in the Version 25 series where as Chrome is in Version 26 series)...

But ubuntu can't put Chrome as the default browser already installed because it has a license agreement you must say yes to in order to download it...
    So, the way we get it is from the Google Chrome website, where we download the deb file and then right click it and have the ubuntu software center install it...

The Chromium version you can get in the Ubuntu Software Center...

I think that should clarify it for you...

Beans

Question Firefox about to lose the Ubuntu Linux vote ?

Ubuntu developers are planning a discussion on an Ubuntu mailing list to solicit a more broad range of feedback on switching from Firefox to Chromium.
    http://news.techeye.net/software/fir...ntu-linux-vote

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Re: Firefox about to lose the Ubuntu Linux vote ?

Shortened urls: See point #11 here. And clicking on them could be risky.
    Use ubuntu-support-status with caution.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Quote Originally Posted by monkeybrain2012 View Post
    I watched the summit video. Basically this is just pushed by a bunch of Chromuim enthusiasts. They have not given a single valid reason for the switch. They were listing problems and missing features in Chromium which are all solved in Firefox, they either dismissed these as "non problems" because they are not typical in the "general use case", or that they may be able to work out some solutions by reinventing the wheel (like running Firefox's pdf js in Chromium??!!) And their ultimate justification is that they should switch because Chrome is outpacing FF in other platforms and Chromium would be perferrred by the "general user" on Ubuntu . Chrome and Chromium are not the same, Chrome has a lot of features that Chromium lacks, so if the "general user" cannot tell the difference then she is just going to conclude that Ubuntu is such a crappy platform that even Chrome doesn't work as well. Great way to advertise Ubuntu.

Finally a guy said that Chromium is inferror to Firefox in terms of functions and features but they can hopefully close the gap so that they can compare the two based on merits?? Isn't the comparison already made by his own admission? Isn't functons and features the decisive standard of merits??!!I They didn't make any sense.
    ding ding ding

FF imo makes a far superior browser. Opinions/prefs of people will differ so who cares.

However, FF is the epitome of FOSS and the epitome of an open web with true web standards.

Going to google sounds so dirty and makes my skin crawl. It would be like adding some Amazon searching in your OS! Who would do such a thing?

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by shoushikochou View Post
    i thought chromium was chrome
    This may help
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beans
    Distro

@smellyman: not at all...i see the same targeted ads on firefox browser that i see on the Chrome browser...they both track you and target the ads accordingly....
    so it certainly isn't cleaner...
    Last edited by craig10x; May 18th, 2013 at 03:15 AM.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by smellyman View Post
    Opinions/prefs of people will differ so who cares.
    Yep, who cares. Install whatever browser you prefer to use if it isn't offered as the default browser.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by malspa View Post
    Yep, who cares. Install whatever browser you prefer to use if it isn't offered as the default browser.
    ???

Being the default <any_software_here> may have implications in terms of support.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

I don't think it matters honestly for those of us who have been using Ubuntu for a while since we all have preferences of our favorite web browser but I think for new users to ubuntu it could set a bad first impression, I don't think chromium is horrible but today I gave it a try for the first time and I am constantly having plugin crashes.

If there is a open source alternative that is equal to a proprietary I will always pick that but in some cases proprietary wins and that is why many of us Ubuntu since you can have a nice mixture or open source and proprietary tools working together to provide the best user experience. What bothers me is some day and I would expect by early next year the flash plugin will be out of date and then what Canonical? Provide a product with not all functioning tools? I am sure there is a way for Canonical to work something out with google to ship chrome on Ubuntu, or would it be possible to include the pepper plugin in the Ubuntu restricted extras for Chromium?
    Last edited by DMGrier; May 18th, 2013 at 06:03 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by DMGrier View Post
    would it be possible to include the pepper plugin in the Ubuntu restricted extras for Chromium?
    I asked about this at Medibuntu
    But there was some issues:
    Howdy,

Re: https://answers.launchpad.net/medibu...uestion/227027

A while ago I looked into doing this, and since then I've made a package
    and a script to do just what you want there. However, due to the
    license, you can't package (pepper) flash[1], if you're interested in
    that bit. Otherwise, the source of the package is at:

dget http://vanir.unit193.tk/source/chromium-
    pepperflash_11.7.700.169-1.dsc

You can drop my name off it fully, I don't care. If you use it, you may
    want to fix d/copyright, it's hardly formatted so gives lintian errors.
    If you end up using the package, I have a couple scripts that help me
    keep it up to date I can share too.

[1] https://www.google.com/intl/en/chrom...eula_text.html
    Adobe section 3a
    Source for the script is http://unit193.tk/download-flash
    Yet they did it over at Packman/openSUSE
    Ubuntu Member Always something different. Promoting Ubuntu and System 76 at TUXPC

Page 4 of 17 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast