Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Proposed: Chromium as Ubuntu's default browser

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Proposed: Chromium as Ubuntu's default browser

Some might interpret this as Ubuntu as a whole giving full thought about the proposal to switch web browsers, and get everyone complaining about which web browser should rule the universe. The power of one blueprint, and the media exposing it... just like the fedora example I explained. I guess I wanted to prevent a wildfire here.
    It's marked as accepted for UDS tomorrow and it's on the schedule.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

So why is Chromium (by Canonical/Ubuntu/Community) still at version 25? I think Canonical's Firefox team is more "on time" in terms of providing a current browser to its users.
    It's a few weeks behind due some builder issues, and right now it's in universe so it's a best effort. Assuming it would be accepted it would be put into main and have the same up-to-date packaging every release like Firefox does.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by castrojo View Post
    It's marked as accepted for UDS tomorrow and it's on the schedule.
    I see... That makes this proposal more newsworthy, finding this page:

http://summit.ubuntu.com/uds-1305/me...fault-browser/

May the browser debates be useful there...

monkeybrain2012 is offline Grande Half-n-Half Cinnamon Ubuntu
    Beans

Just make it easy to uninstall and I am happy.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

hey...you can always add firefox like i add chrome now

and @ vasa1: i know you are running 13.10...but did you try the dependency download first and then install Chrome stable? should work....i did with no problem on a live session of saucy...
    and if not, then you could use Chrome Beta temporarily until it reaches the stable channel...Any time i tried Chrome beta it seemed quite stable to me....

monkeybrain2012 is offline Grande Half-n-Half Cinnamon Ubuntu
    Beans

Quote Originally Posted by craig10x View Post
    Of course I can, but why do I need 3 browsers with Chromium just basically junk?

I have Fedora on KDE, It is terrible that I cannot remove konqueror even though I easily install Firefox and Chrome. So I just get rid of the desktop file to hide it but it is still there and taking up space.

Why should the default browser be part of the desktop anyway? I like the way lubuntu handles it, it comes with Chromium but you are free to remove it without removing the rest of your desktop.

It is not a good selling point to the new users, they know Chrome, and then they ask you what the hell is Chromium, ans: It is open source version of Chrome and the advantage is that it has all of Chrome's most useful functions removed, it is Chrome's crappy brother. Isn't it great advertisement for Open Source? Firefox is open source and good (especially on Linux), and it is not the lesser of something like it which is popular on WIndows and Mac.

I don't really see the purpose of this. You have the best open source browser now why switch it out for a pretty mediocre one? If they try to latch on to Google's brand it is a bad move by offering a crappy version of Google's flagship product.
    Last edited by monkeybrain2012; May 14th, 2013 at 06:28 AM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by craig10x View Post

and @ vasa1: i know you are running 13.10...but did you try the dependency download first and then install Chrome stable? should work....i did with no problem on a live session of saucy...
    and if not, then you could use Chrome Beta temporarily until it reaches the stable channel...Any time i tried Chrome beta it seemed quite stable to me....
    @craig10x, I'm on Raring, not Saucy. When on Windows, I used to be on the beta channel because the updates on Windows are differential/incremental and not the full browser each time as we have in Ubuntu.

With Firefox it's a different story because I've installed Firefox beta direct (and in my home folder) and not from the repos. I get weekly incremental updates of about 2MB.
    Users can easily damage their systems by using sudo su if they aren't experienced enough.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by monkeybrain2012 View Post
    Based on what does he say that chromium is as good or better than Firefox? It is quite useless IMO, it is outdated, it doesn't have the rich addon ecology of FF, and multimedia plugins barely works in it (gecko-mediaplayer mainly) One great selling point for Chrome is pepper flash but chromium doesn't have it. If it becomes the default I hope I can easily remove it without removing the whole desktop (not like konqueror or whatever it is called now in KDE distros), which is exactly what I do whenever I install lubuntu (and install Firefox and Chrome afterwords)

Besides, instead of a full blown first class open source browser like Firefox why would he want a crippled version of Chrome (that is what Chromium basically is) as the default on the flagship Linux distro?
    Chromium would be great if pepper flash came with it
    Pepper has been put in the multimedia repos of Packman for openSUSE and I raised this @medibuntu but they couldn't do it.
    It's the flash player that's going to be the biggest bug for us. Integrate Pepper some how and I'd say yes. Mind I still prefer it over FF, which is sluggy by comparision
    Ubuntu Member Always something different. Promoting Ubuntu and System 76 at TUXPC

Beans
    Distro

I couldn't care less about which default browser ANY distro comes with, but I prefer to use Chromium first, Chrome second. I don't use Firefox anymore unless I absolutely have to, and that's been quite awhile now; the last time I had to was back when I had to fire it up to use the GNOME Shell extensions site.

However: When posting here in Chromium (from Debian Wheezy or from Chakra), I don't have formatting options, etc., showing up in the toolbar above the text field! Not cool. They are there in Chrome. I haven't been able to find a thread (yet) where this issue is addressed (maybe someone can point me in the right direction), but if this is a problem, I guess it wouldn't make much sense for Chromium to be the default browser for Ubuntu!
    Last edited by malspa; May 14th, 2013 at 09:06 AM.

Beans

Will webapps work in Chromium like Firefox? I've enabled "click-to-play plugins" in Chromium, and webapps just stop working.

Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast