Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 161

Thread: Proposed: Chromium as Ubuntu's default browser

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Beans
    9,273
    Distro
    Lubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

    Proposed: Chromium as Ubuntu's default browser

    Chromium as default browser
    Chromium has matured to being as good or better than Firefox. It will be the foundation of a lot of Ubuntu Touch code and webapps code. We should consider using Chromium as the default browser in Ubuntu.
    So why is Chromium (by Canonical/Ubuntu/Community) still at version 25? I think Canonical's Firefox team is more "on time" in terms of providing a current browser to its users.
    Shortened urls: See point #11 here. And clicking on them could be risky.
    Use ubuntu-support-status with caution.

  2. #2
    monkeybrain2012 is offline Grande Half-n-Half Cinnamon Ubuntu
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Beans
    874

    Re: Proposed: Chromium as Ubuntu's default browser

    Based on what does he say that chromium is as good or better than Firefox? It is quite useless IMO, it is outdated, it doesn't have the rich addon ecology of FF, and multimedia plugins barely works in it (gecko-mediaplayer mainly) One great selling point for Chrome is pepper flash but chromium doesn't have it. If it becomes the default I hope I can easily remove it without removing the whole desktop (not like konqueror or whatever it is called now in KDE distros), which is exactly what I do whenever I install lubuntu (and install Firefox and Chrome afterwords)

    Besides, instead of a full blown first class open source browser like Firefox why would he want a crippled version of Chrome (that is what Chromium basically is) as the default on the flagship Linux distro?
    Last edited by monkeybrain2012; May 14th, 2013 at 03:53 AM.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    UK Lake District
    Beans
    3,093
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

    Re: Proposed: Chromium as Ubuntu's default browser

    Quote Originally Posted by monkeybrain2012 View Post
    Based on what does he say that chromium is as good or better than Firefox? It is quite useless IMO, it is outdated, it doesn't have the rich addon ecology of FF, and multimedia plugins barely works in it (gecko-mediaplayer mainly) One great selling point for Chrome is pepper flash but chromium doesn't have it. If it becomes the default I hope I can easily remove it without removing the whole desktop (not like konqueror or whatever it is called now in KDE distros), which is exactly what I do whenever I install lubuntu (and install Firefox and Chrome afterwords)

    Besides, instead of a full blown first class open source browser like Firefox why would he want a crippled version of Chrome (that is what Chromium basically is) as the default on the flagship Linux distro?
    Chromium would be great if pepper flash came with it
    Pepper has been put in the multimedia repos of Packman for openSUSE and I raised this @medibuntu but they couldn't do it.
    It's the flash player that's going to be the biggest bug for us. Integrate Pepper some how and I'd say yes. Mind I still prefer it over FF, which is sluggy by comparision
    Ubuntu Member Always something different. Promoting Ubuntu and System 76 at TUXPC

  4. #4
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Beans
    0

    Re: Proposed: Chromium as Ubuntu's default browser

    i thought chromium was chrome

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    New York, NY
    Beans
    1,293
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

    Re: Proposed: Chromium as Ubuntu's default browser

    Quote Originally Posted by shoushikochou View Post
    i thought chromium was chrome
    Chromium is the completely open source version of what becomes google chrome....it is their development channel, then they take it and put some refinements into, and some other tweaks and put it out as Google Chrome (the licensed version)....

    Chrome adds such refinements as a built in pdf reader (so you can read pdf files without downloading them to your hard drive, although you still have the option to do so from it, if you so desire) and the "pepperflash" flash plug in (they have an agreement to provide the current version of adobe flash in it) Chromium does not contain those features and for flash, it uses the flash you get in the ubuntu restricted extras...and that flash is old and only gets security updates and no new versions because adobe dropped it for linux (except for pepperflash with google)....

    Chrome also automatically adds a "ppa updater" to your software sources so you always get the latest version through ubuntu's software updater...
    And the Chrome version is always more up-to-date then Chromium is (Chromium is still in the Version 25 series where as Chrome is in Version 26 series)...

    But ubuntu can't put Chrome as the default browser already installed because it has a license agreement you must say yes to in order to download it...
    So, the way we get it is from the Google Chrome website, where we download the deb file and then right click it and have the ubuntu software center install it...

    The Chromium version you can get in the Ubuntu Software Center...

    I think that should clarify it for you...

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Beans
    9,273
    Distro
    Lubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

    Re: Proposed: Chromium as Ubuntu's default browser

    Quote Originally Posted by shoushikochou View Post
    i thought chromium was chrome
    This may help
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Shortened urls: See point #11 here. And clicking on them could be risky.
    Use ubuntu-support-status with caution.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Beans
    8

    Re: Proposed: Chromium as Ubuntu's default browser

    From what I know, this is a blueprint - and I think most people registered on launchpad can file them. Whether this one will become accepted or not is still very questionable as news right now. As an example, for Fedora 19, a developer proposed Cinnamon to be the default desktop environment, and was interpreted by some sites as news - but that switch probably won't happen.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Beans
    9,273
    Distro
    Lubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

    Re: Proposed: Chromium as Ubuntu's default browser

    Quote Originally Posted by cflow View Post
    From what I know, this is a blueprint - and I think most people registered on launchpad can file them. Whether this one will become accepted or not is still very questionable as news right now. As an example, for Fedora 19, a developer proposed Cinnamon to be the default desktop environment, and was interpreted by some sites as news - but that switch probably won't happen.
    "Proposed" is in the title. The link clearly includes "blueprint". I posted in the Chat section. So what's your point?
    Shortened urls: See point #11 here. And clicking on them could be risky.
    Use ubuntu-support-status with caution.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Beans
    8

    Re: Proposed: Chromium as Ubuntu's default browser

    Quote Originally Posted by vasa1 View Post
    "Proposed" is in the title. The link clearly includes "blueprint". I posted in the Chat section. So what's your point?
    Well... I think the title of the thread could still be kind of decieving and prone to causing another browser war: Some might interpret this as Ubuntu as a whole giving full thought about the proposal to switch web browsers, and get everyone complaining about which web browser should rule the universe. The power of one blueprint, and the media exposing it... just like the fedora example I explained. I guess I wanted to prevent a wildfire here .

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Mystletainn Kick!
    Beans
    7,003
    Distro
    Ubuntu

    Re: Proposed: Chromium as Ubuntu's default browser

    Maybe they should show it can handle timely updates first.
    Splat Double Splat Triple Splat
    Earn Your Keep
    Don't mind me, I'm only passing through.
    Once in a blue moon, I'm actually helpful
    .

Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •