Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Gnome: The ethics of saying just "no"

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Gnome: The ethics of saying just "no"

Background operations are overrated in a multi-threaded operating system.
    -------------------------------------
    Oooh Shiny: PopularPages

Unumquodque potest reparantur. Patientia sit virtus.

Beans

I like buzzingrobot's post (#18).

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by cflow View Post
    Very disturbing:

http://spiralinear.org/forum/discuss...y-on-bugzilla-

I mean, every action like this, placed towards users, should show some reason as to why. A developer saying "no" - and nothing else - sounds rather condesending to the end users to me. It also shuts down any comprehensive debate - and creates this struggle that the blog article describes...
    Developers don't owe users anything if the users aren't paying for the product. If a user doesn't like a feature (or lack of a feature), they can add it themselves, then redistribute it. Or they can switch to different software. Xfce is pretty nice these days.

Seriously, open source devs don't 'owe' the community anything...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Gnome hasn't been very good at documenting things for a very long time. They aren't alone in that.

That said, I don't see this as an ethical issue. More a display of lack of professionalism and petulance.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by Mikeb85 View Post
    Developers don't owe users anything if the users aren't paying for the product. If a user doesn't like a feature (or lack of a feature), they can add it themselves, then redistribute it. Or they can switch to different software. Xfce is pretty nice these days.

Seriously, open source devs don't 'owe' the community anything...
    No they dont. And so if they dont listen to their users at least a little bit, the only thing that will happen is that their project will go extinct, whatever funding they had will disappear, and they will have to find some other project to do. The way I see it, the only people who have something to loose in a situation like this is the developers themselves. Fortunately in the Linux world, there are plenty of options so us users can be fickle. If the Gnome guys want to ignore the rest of the world and completely screw up what used to be a good thing, I encourage them to do it. Ill be using KDE. If the KDE guys decide to do the same, Ill find something else to use.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by whatthefunk View Post
    If the Gnome guys want to ignore the rest of the world and completely screw up what used to be a good thing, I encourage them to do it. Ill be using KDE. If the KDE guys decide to do the same, Ill find something else to use.

You know, plenty of people actually do exist who do not think that Gnome Shell is a bad thing or that KDE is a good thing.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by buzzingrobot View Post
    FOSS developers are under no obligation to let random online posts and complaints serve as design guideposts for their software. Yet, I see many, repeated, complaints that developers in the XYZ project are failing to abide by a perceived obligation to modify their designs and their code on the basis of anecdotal online chatter.

That kind of obligation does not exist. Even if it did, how are developers and designers supposed to determine what specific opinion is held by an actual majority of their users? FOSS offers no such method. Online chatter is, by definition, created by self-selected people with particular agendas to advance.
    I agree.

Real World
    : Company A makes an application called XYZ. There may or may not be a way for the customer ( what we call the "user" ) to tell the company that it does not meet their needs. But the customer can stop buying it. Revenues drop and payrolls and other debt obligations are not made and the company faces 2 choices: Change the product or go out of business.

Our World: The "developers" have a vision and make their product consistent with that vision. The "company" is under no obligation to the user directly and aside from these irritating "bug" reports that reference function may not have a mechanism to get feedback from them. So instead of the "company" having a choice to make it falls on the user to make the choice:

Do I buy into the Gnome philosophy of "If function is reduced the application becomes more functional" or do I go somewhere else more in line with my needs.

There's no point in trying to argue with them directly.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

HI everybody, here is the next Gnome release!!!

But wait, there is LESS.

I also really fail in seeing where the Gnome devs want to bring the product to.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 16.04 Xenial Xerus

I switched to KDE plasma about a month ago -- it's really nice. Gnome 3.8 is a mess. I think I'm done with Gnome for a while.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

GNOME lost me when I first seen what they orignally wanted to do with GNOME SHELL That thing was beyond hideous.
    Intel i5 Ivy Bridge 2.8Ghz (3.4Ghz Turbo), 64bit user, AMD GPU 7700 series

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast