Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 12.4 Can't move slider to allocate size of partition

Beans

12.4 Can't move slider to allocate size of partition

12.4 64 Bit Version runs fine when not installed but on trying to instal it comes up asking how much HDA space I want to allocate to it. I can see where it has set the division but the mouse will not move the slider. Am trying to instal on a 2011 tower with Intel HD graphics but am using a monitor thats 9 years old ie a LM-171 and think it may be a problem with something either built into it to use with the Nvidia graphic card which was on the old machine. When I ran Gentoo had to regularly undo Nvidia driver update and revert to one lower than 173 Oldpeter
    Last edited by Oldpeter; May 15th, 2013 at 03:32 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: 12.4 Can't move slider to allocate size of partition

This problem has nothing to do with the video adapter or the video driver. Are you trying to install using the Install alongside option or the Do something else option?

All I can do is guess. You may need to open one of Gparted's menus and select Resize. That may allow you to use the mouse to grab the resize arrows and resize the partition.

Regards.
    It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.
    Ubuntu user #33,200. Linux user #530,530

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

In fact, it's all about the partitions on the hard drive. If you described the partition setup, people might be able to help you.

Use the terminal command: sudo fdisk -l

Beans

Have 2 HDA's and w7 has split the smaller one (1.5T) into two 750 partitions named C and D . Th other one F is almost completely full of data OldPeter

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Do not use the slider to resize windows, especially not the system partition. Use windows Disk Management. You need to create unallocated space (not belonging to any ntfs partition). How you do that, whether by shrinking some ntfs partition or by deleting it, it's your choice.

Windows can complain when linux toold resize its partition, That's why use Disk Management and reboot windows few times to do any disk checks it might need after the resize.

Once you have unallocated space on any of the two disks, start the ubuntu installer and install.
    Darko.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Ubuntu 18.04 LTS 64bit

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate Development Release

You didn't say anything about "drive" E:, but if you do already have four primary partitions -- do NOT attempt to create another, especially using Windows Disk Management. It WILL let you do that, unfortunately, but in the process, it will convert all your partitions into Dynamic Disks -- something you do NOT want to do!
    Ubuntu 20.04, Mint 19.10; MS Win10 Pro.
    Will not respond to PM requests for support -- use the forums.

Beans

I used Partition Magic to reduce the size of D to 350GB leaving 341GB unallocated and ran a few times and all looks fine but on trying to instal Ubuntu again it only gives me an option to reduce the size of the full (except for about 100mb) 2tb F disk and does not appear to be seeing the smaller !.5 disk with the unallocated space. Initially the machine only had the 1.5T disk and hence C and D OldPter

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

1. If the disk has been used in fakeraid before, and it still has meta data on it, the ubuntu installer will ignore it until you remove the meta data.

2. If it had gpt table earlier and you switched to msdos using windows, it doesn't delete the backup gpt table as it should be, and that confuses linux because it can see two different tables.

3. If the disk is Dynamic instead of Basic.

That's just few common reasons why the installer would ignore a disk. There could also be some error in the partition table that windows ignores, but linux doesn't, so it's not letting you use the disk. Just because windows seems to be using the disk as normal, it doesn't mean all is good with it. It often ignores errors.
    Darko.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Ubuntu 18.04 LTS 64bit

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate Development Release

IF you want detailed advice, then you need to follow the instructions in Post #2 -- and post the output of that command. That will allow us to see the partition layout on the drive and we won't have to continue guessing what you have.
    Ubuntu 20.04, Mint 19.10; MS Win10 Pro.
    Will not respond to PM requests for support -- use the forums.

Beans

After I replied yesterday realized what the problem was that Ubuntu was only seeing the 2 tb disk which had no spare room hence the slider would not move.

This Acer tower was purchased new last year and came with W7 installed and the 1.5 TB disk formatted. Had not touched the partitions until yesterday (C & D) when reduced the size of the second partition (D ) by 350GB to leave 350GB unallocated for Ubuntu. The DVD is at E. Then later I mounted the 2TB drive in the one 3.5 Acer easy-swap HDD bay in the front of the machine under the dvd. That 2TB disk had been created under Gentoo but have not previously run any Linux application on this machine.

You appear to need a fdisk listing but under the Ubuntu trial version one does not have use of a terminal (unless there is a way to provide it) so I clicked on " Go" on the top of the screen then "Computer" and it tells me I have 4 Hard drives which is completely wrong and three were listing the same area??? They were a 1.5 TB Named Acer , a 1.5 TB named Data, a 1.5 TB named System Reserved and a 2.tb Named Peter .Properties gave me nothing except they were all Octct-stream.

I then ran KNoppix and below is the Fdisk listing but would the answer be to just remove the 2TB disk?

Disk /dev/sda: 1500.3 GB, 1500301910016 bytes
    255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 182401 cylinders
    Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes
    Sector size (logical/physical): 512 bytes / 4096 bytes
    I/O size (minimum/optimal): 4096 bytes / 4096 bytes
    Disk identifier: 0x15704c10

Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
    /dev/sda1 1 2481 19922944 27 Unknown
    /dev/sda2 * 2481 2494 102400 7 HPFS/NTFS
    /dev/sda3 2494 92431 722417664 7 HPFS/NTFS
    /dev/sda4 92431 137887 365130752 7 HPFS/NTFS

Disk /dev/sdb: 2000.4 GB, 2000398934016 bytes
    255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 243201 cylinders
    Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes
    Sector size (logical/physical): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
    I/O size (minimum/optimal): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
    Disk identifier: 0x2ff5b946

Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
    /dev/sdb1 1 243202 1953512448 7 HPFS/NTFS
    knoppix@Microknoppix:~$
    Last edited by Oldpeter; May 6th, 2013 at 11:51 AM. Reason: Privatcy & correction

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast