Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What's your thoughts on the new Acer R7 Aspire laptop?

Beans

Re: What's your thoughts on the new Acer R7 Aspire laptop?

Quote Originally Posted by irv View Post
    I need to wait until I get a USB to RJ45 so I can get on the Internet, then I can install on to the SSD and work on getting the wireless card to work. I also found out that I need to set my BIOS back to get back into Windows 8.
    Install keryx on windows or linux, point it to the repos and it will download whatever packages + dependencies you need...

http://ubuntuguide.net/update-ubuntu...pc-using-keryx

As for your SSDs I would just swap the two and keep the original in a safe place should you ever need it again.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Thanks for the link, but I am having some other issues with the R7. Been online with tech support a lot this past week so I am returning the laptop and am going to go with a different one.
    The big issue is my wifi card (Broadcom), I don't know the model and the tech wouldn't tell me. If I am within 10' of my router it works but only at about 1/2 speed. If I move 30 to 35' it drops off to just about nothing. The tech had me do many things until late into the night, and nothing worked. He was going to send me a different wifi card, but I will have to take the laptop all apart. (a bunch of screws and take the bottom off). I am not going to mess with it, I am just going to get a different kind. Here is what my wifi reading looked like.
    speed check fast hbci.PNGspeed check fast.PNGspeed check slow hbci.PNGspeed check slow.PNG
    The slow speed is when I move away from the router.
    I forgot to say my Internet service is 40 mbps and my wifi on most of my devices run at 20 mbps, so you can see I am about half right next to the router.
    Information on my Main laptop. Information on my small laptop Dell 11 3000
    Using a Asus 3632QM laptop with 8gig RAM, 250 SSD.
    Machine Registered 366271, 366273, 366275.
    Registered Ubuntu user number 18630. Registered Linux user number 458093.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Okay, I took the R7 back to Best Buy and got a ASUS Q500A Touchscreen Laptop

I just got a brand new ASUS Q500A-BHI7T05 I bought a few hours ago at Best Buy.
    This laptop was born in January, 2013 with the following specs:
    Intel® 3rd Generation Core™ i7 @ 2.2Ghz with 3.2 Ghz Turbo Boost
    6 Mb Level 3 cache on die
    8 Gb DDR3 ram
    750 Gb HD, 5400 RPM
    15.6″ 1920×1080 Multi-touch LED-backlit TFT display
    6-cell Li Battery
    DVD RW drive
    Typical assortment of USB 3.0, Wifi-N, G-bit Ethernet, VGA, HDMI
    Windows 8

The reason I got this one was because of this webpage. http://www.writecircuit.com/2013/04/...-ubuntu-12-10/

I am on the road right now so I won't be doing any installs until I got home next week. I will try to keep all posted on this. I will have to start a new thread because this is no longer a Acer R7. If a mod reads this I would think this thread could be closed.

Beans

I bought acer aspire r7 few days ago..... and I think I like it. I wanted it to have dual booting with ubuntu. And yes, ubuntu gave me a headache with wifi.... I was installing ubuntu 12.10.... with 12.10, I could not even open a folder with touch. That was pain. Then I tried ubuntu 13.04. Surprisingly, the wifi was working well out of the box. The wifi is still a bit slower than what it had to be but it works lot better with 13.04.
    Also with 13.04, I can open folders by double tapping and it seems better than 12.10. Still it is not fully optimized for touch. Now and then the touch gets unstable.
    About the wifi, it runs well in windows. I have 50mbps internet and it runs at same speed like my other computers....
    I think I will be happy with r7.

Beans

O yeah.... forgot to say that I love the display of this laptop.... Ubuntu looks great with this display....

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I am glad you have the R7 working, but with the one I bought I really think the wifi card was bad. It wouldn't even work right with Windows 8. I played around with the Asus Q500A today and got it to run the live OS of Ubuntu 13.04 and it found the wifi and the touch screen worked with it. I am still on the road, so I plan to play around with it when I get home. By the way, the Asus has the same touch screen as the R7, same 1920 X 1080. The Asus has the i7 CPU where the R7 has the i5. It also had 2 gig more RAM and a 750 gig HD, where the R7 had a 500 gig HD. Both had a combo drive (a bootable SSD). I do have to say I did like the new hing design on the R7. It has about the same battery life even though the R7 had a 4 cell and the Asus has a 6 cell. The R7 has the newer style battery, but the Asus is much easier to change. I want to see if I can get a 9 cell for it. I don't know if they make one or not.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I thought I would update this thread. I ran into a problem with the wifi card and after spending time with Acer's tech support and getting nowhere I took the laptop back and exchanged it for a Asus Q500A which I like much better. Faster processor speed (i7 not the i5), more memory (8 gig not 6), more storage, (750 gig not 500) and $105 cheaper.
    I have another thread started on the Q500A so here is the link. Q500A link.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12