Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What's your thoughts on the new Acer R7 Aspire laptop?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

What's your thoughts on the new Acer R7 Aspire laptop?

My old Dell Laptop died so I started looking for a new one. This one jumped out at me but it won't be out until the 17th of this month. Acer Aspire R7 Video. I am not sure how well the touch screen will work with Ubuntu. I have a SSD in the old Dell I was thinking about popping into it and trying to run Ubuntu on it. I didn't want to change the drives there are in it with Win8 on them.
    A friend gave me a Asus netbook to use until this one comes out.
    Aspire R7.png
    Information on my Main laptop. Information on my small laptop Dell 11 3000
    Using a Asus 3632QM laptop with 8gig RAM, 250 SSD.
    Machine Registered 366271, 366273, 366275.
    Registered Ubuntu user number 18630. Registered Linux user number 458093.

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: What's your thoughts on the new Acer R7 Aspire laptop?

There are videos on Youtube of people trying to use Ubuntu with a touchscreen and they all look really clumsy and frustrated. I would stick with a traditional laptop/ultrabook.
    That's what she said.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I was also looking at the Dell XPS 13 Ubuntu Laptop but the price is to high. $1549. I know it has the i7 processor, but I think it is priced way to high. I am using a Asus eee right now and I could buy it for $150 from a friend of mine. By the way, thanks for the input.

Beans
    Hidden!

Check out a Lenovo Thinkpad. They're great laptops and typically play well with Linux.
    That's what she said.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Well, I went and picked up my new Acer R7 today. Best buy got 3 in today, and I got the first one. I made them take it out of the box because I wanted to look at the hing on the monitor. I must say it is well build. I will write more one I have it awhile and check it all out. So far I like it. Not so sure about Windows 8? First time I ever use it.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

OK, I have been using the R7 for three days now and here is what I found.
    First, a little about windows 8. I find it works well with the touch screen but windows is windows. First it didn't have a driver for my older printer (HP 4050). I had to download the driver and manually install it. They moved things around in windows and I had to look for a lot of stuff, but did find them.
    Now lets talk about the hardware and Ubuntu.

First I had to go into the BIOS and change a few things to get it to boot from the USB and to turn off some security settings. I booted into the live OS off the USB, and Ubuntu ran OK except for the wifi network. Ubuntu did not see the wifi card. It is a Broadcom card. I had the same problem with the Broadcom card in my Dell, and I needed to load the drivers to get it to work, but the problem I have with the Acer R7 is it does not have an Ethernet port so I have no way of loading any drivers.

So now I have a question. Is there some hardware that I can get to plug into the USB to get wireless without using the internal Broadcom card?

If I can get the wifi to work, I will install Ubuntu. The live OS running off the USB worked great with the touch screen. As far as I can tell the wifi is the only problem hardware so far.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by irv View Post
    Is there some hardware that I can get to plug into the USB to get wireless without using the internal Broadcom card?.
    Yep. A thumb drive.
    Use another computer to get the driver, put it in a thumb drive, and...

Or, if you don't want to use your internal wi-fi at all, you can get a USB wi-fi card.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I was out checking on USB wireless that would work with Ubuntu. Also there are USB to RJ45 connectors that I could get on the internet to get the drivers I need. I guess I do have some options. I also plan on pulling the bottom of the laptop off to get to the hardware. I have a new SSD I would like to install and I may get more memory.

Beans

I would just get a thumb drive or an external hard drive, (or even an SD card, if you have a reader), and use another computer to download the driver into it. I have done it several times, and don't remember ever having a problem, especiaally with the Broadcom drivers. No sense in buying stuff to use it only once, IMO.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

This morning I tried something. In the laptop that died I had a new Solid State Drive (SSD) which had Ubuntu 12.10 installed on. What I did was go into the BIOS and set it so I could boot off the USB ports and plugged in the drive. It booted into Ubutnu but I did get some errors because it was set to boot into different hardware (my old Dell). I see where I can boot off a USB with the install of 13.04 and then plug in the SSD from the Dell and install a fresh install of 13..04 on it. I need to wait until I get a USB to RJ45 so I can get on the Internet, then I can install on to the SSD and work on getting the wireless card to work. I also found out that I need to set my BIOS back to get back into Windows 8.
    I was really surprised to see how fast it booted into the external SSD with Ubuntu. less that 45 seconds. It must be because of USB3 and the SSD. It boots faster that Windows 8, and Windows 8 is running off a SSD also.. This is the way I am going to run Ubuntu This way I will not void my warranty. After my warranty runs out I can install it on my system HD.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast