Thread: Why can ubuntu accept most drivers?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Question Why can ubuntu accept most drivers?

Although I have used Ubuntu for over 1 year, but now I still have a question:
    Why can Ubuntu and other Linux distros accept most drivers but Windows can't? This is very good and comfortable every time I need to reinstall my OS.
    Who can explain for me?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Re: Why can ubuntu accept most drivers?

Hi

My understanding is that Windows steramlines it's kernel during installation and setup so that it can only run on your machine whereas linux holds all generic drivers etc in its kernel all the time. This is why ubuntu can be installed on an external hard drive and booted from most machines and Windows will only every really work on the machine it was first installed on. (unless you use sysprep)

Hope this helps!

Barry
    Desktop: Z77X-UD5H, Intel i7 3770k, NVidia GeForce 660 Ti Sli 16GB DDR3 RAM 2TB HDD
    OSes: Mint 14 x64 Windows 7 Ultimate x64
    Laptop: Dell Latitude E6430
    OSes: Ubuntu 13.04 x64, Backtrack 5 R3

Beans

I think it's a stupid Authorize problem。if Micorosoft want to contain drivers in it's OS,he must pay money to the hardware vendors,this is why I love linux and why hate windows

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by PowerBarry43 View Post
    Hi

My understanding is that Windows steramlines it's kernel during installation and setup so that it can only run on your machine whereas linux holds all generic drivers etc in its kernel all the time. This is why ubuntu can be installed on an external hard drive and booted from most machines and Windows will only every really work on the machine it was first installed on. (unless you use sysprep)

Hope this helps!

Barry
    Thank you so much. But now I'm using both of them. Each OS has its advantages and disadvantages.