Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Switching to Ubuntu from Windows 8 on a Samsung Laptop

Beans

Switching to Ubuntu from Windows 8 on a Samsung Laptop

I hope I am posting this in the correct section! I have recently learned about Ubuntu and want to make it my new operating system. I'm not the most tech apt individual but I am reading as much as I can and watching videos on YouTube. I found this forum in a Google search and am hoping that it will help with my installation and transition from Windows 8 on my Samsung Series 5 NP510R5E laptop to Ubuntu. I hope to learn all I can and currently I know very little to nothing about changing my OS so any help would be much appreciated! Thank you!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Hello all! Switching to Ubuntu from Windows 8 on a Samsung Laptop :)

Do you want to completely replace Windows 8 with Ubuntu, or do you want to Dual-Boot? I hope this is your machine: http://www.samsung.com/nz/consumer/p...NP510R5E-S01AU
    Windows8 pre-installed computers come with UEFI and "Secure Boot" enabled, which makes installing Ubuntu on the machine a bit tricky. Most of the online information about how to install Ubuntu won't apply.

If you can tell us what exactly do you want then we can help you. I suggest you opt for Dual-Boot if you use any proprietary software on Windows. Otherwise you will end up frustrated because Windows software doesn't work on Linux.

Regards...
    "Evolution is Nature's way of issuing upgrades."

Beans

I intend to completely erase Windows 8, if that is possible. (EDIT: perhaps I should begin with dual-boot to ensure I can use the OS properly?)

Yes, that is my computer, I love it a lot but I'm coming from a Windows 7 desktop and it's tricky learning the Windows 8 so I figure now is as good a time as any to make the switch! I've heard nothing but good things about Ubuntu and the only programs I use are Libre Office and Firefox/Chrome for web browsing. I don't play games or use any software that is unique to windows. It's is primarily used for web browsing and document editing, which should be the same in any OS, from what I understand. I don't even use iTunes!

I understand I will need the 64 but version but is there a particular release that will be better suited for my hardware? Thank you so much for your help
    Last edited by uhhhnoakes; May 13th, 2013 at 09:32 AM.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by uhhhnoakes View Post
    I understand I will need the 64 but version but is there a particular release that will be better suited for my hardware? Thank you so much for your help
    Welcome

Ubuntu has a new release every 6 months, and an LTS (Long Term Support) release every 2 years.

The current LTS is 12.04 (2012, April) and the current release is 13.04 (2013, April).

I would try installing the 13.04 release first as I find newer releases tend to have better hardware support than older releases.

Normally you just burn the ubuntu image to a USB stick or CD and then boot off of it, but because of UEFI/Secure boot it looks like there's some more steps involved, this might be some help: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UEFI
    // Blog

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Should the OP not first try out Ubuntu on his hardware by way of a live USB / CD? I can imagine that SecureBoot complicates this too, but this link should provide the starting point for asking some assistence
    Never upgrade your working system to the newest release without thorough testing on the actual hardware you will be running it on.
    Never perform a system update in a live session
    Installed Ubuntu Touch 1.0 on my Nexus 7. And loving it!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

I intend to completely erase Windows 8, if that is possible. (EDIT: perhaps I should begin with dual-boot to ensure I can use the OS properly?)

...I'm coming from a Windows 7 desktop and it's tricky learning the Windows 8 so I figure now is as good a time as any to make the switch!
    Like it has been mentioned in an earlier post that Ubuntu releases a new version every six months and every two year a Long Term Support [LTS] is released. LTS is supported for 5 years while regular release is supported for 9 months. The current LTS is 12.04 (the version number is actually a date 2012, April or 4th month) and the current regular release is 13.04 released in 2013, April. Both are current and will support most of the new hardware. You can download either.

Here's how to go about installing Ubuntu:
    1. Enter your BIOS set up and disable "Secure Boot". Also check in BIOS your SATA mode, there will be three options, IDE, RAID, AHCI. Ideally it should be AHCI. If its RAID then get back here and tell us you have RAID.
    2. Check if you have UEFI enabled. It will be. We are just making sure.
    3. Disable FAST BOOT/Quick Boot.

If you Want to dual boot then use Windows disk management to shrink your partition to make space for ubuntu, about 50GB should do. Do NOT create any partition just leave the space as 'unallocated'.

4. This assumes you have UEFI. Boot with Ubuntu install Disk -> "Try Ubuntu". If you run into "Black Screen" kind a situation then you must use 'NOMODESET": http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1613132
    5. From "Try ubuntu" will be greeted by a working ubuntu desktop. Establish connection and check if other hardware is working. IF all is good then Open disk management utility, GPARTED.
    6. Using Gparted delete all partitions (Before you do this Back up all your data). If you want to dual boot then skip this step.

** When installing as Dual-Boot just select "install alongside Windows" during installation at the " Installation Type" dialog and that should do.

7. Create New partitions with GPARTED:
    # 250-300 MiB FAT32 , put a "boot" flag on this partition. This for EFI.
    # 25-30GB Ext4
    # 25-30GB Ext4
    # all the remaining GB Ext4 (this is to store your DATA, you can create more partitions if you need but formatted as ext4)
    # 2-4GB SWAP (If you want 'hibernate' function then SWAP should be equal to or more than your RAM in GiB not GB.)

Apply all changes in Gparted. Close Gparted.

8. From desktop "Install Ubuntu".
    9. At the dialog which says 'Installation Type" choose 'SOMETHING ELSE' to manually direct your installation.
    10. Select you first 25-30GB ext4 partition and click 'Change'... and use "/" as mountpoint.
    11. Continue with your installation. When finisthed Reboot as instructed.

If you run into any problems when booting, ie if Uubntu does not boot then you may have to use BOOT REPAIR... Boot repair when run scans your partitions for any errors and offers "Recommended Repair". That should take care of any boot issues.

Good Luck.
    Last edited by fantab; May 13th, 2013 at 12:57 PM.
    "Evolution is Nature's way of issuing upgrades."

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I hope I am posting this in the correct section! I have recently learned about Ubuntu and want to make it my new operating system. I'm not the most tech apt individual but I am reading as much as I can and watching videos on YouTube. I found this forum in a Google search and am hoping that it will help with my installation and transition from Windows 8 on my Samsung Series 5 NP510R5E laptop to Ubuntu. I hope to learn all I can and currently I know very little to nothing about changing my OS so any help would be much appreciated! Thank you!
    Welcome!
    Since you're experience is with Win7 I assume that you have a number of programs that you use. I suggest making a live USB flash drive (probably 8 GB) and give Ubuntu 13.04 a test run for about a week or so. Doing this will enable you to learn a bit about Ubuntu, find alternative programs to duplicate the functionality of the Win programs you currently use.
    Here's a short list of programs that I've found extremely suitable:

Windows 7 Linux Equivalent
    OutLook Thunderbird
    Internet Explorer Chromium
    MS Office Libre Office
    Windows Explorer Nautilus
    Quicken Mint on line
    HP | Intel iCore 7 3.2Ghz | 12 Gb mem | SSD Win7 | HDD Trusty | Mate 16.04
    Dell laptop | Intel iCore 3 2.1Ghz | 4 Gb mem | MATE 16.04 + Win 7
    Regards, Pete

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

If an UltraBook you also have an SSD and dual video.

Samsung series 5 UltraBook, erase Windows & install to SSD
    http://schoolsplay.wordpress.com/201...book-with-ssd/

Samsung Ultrabook Windows 8 & Ubuntu & recovery boot Disk view of partitions post 7
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2097690
    Samsung Series 7 - post #5 Windows 8 & UEFI, Ubuntu only to new SSD
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=12382951
    SAMSUNG Series 3 NP365E5C-XXXXX laptops
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2120763

nVidia Optimus and Ubuntu explained
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1657660

Bumblebee:
    https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Bumblebee

Some discussion of limits of new nVidia driver with some Optimus support
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2142215
    Installing new nVidia driver 319.12 beta
    http://www.barunisystems.com/index.p...page?view=blog
    Last edited by oldfred; May 13th, 2013 at 05:45 PM.
    UEFI boot install & repair info - Regularly Updated :
    https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to change to [Solved] when/if answered completely.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by fantab View Post
    Like it has been mentioned in an earlier post that Ubuntu releases a new version every six months and every two year a Long Term Support [LTS] is released. LTS is supported for 5 years while regular release is supported for 9 months. The current LTS is 12.04 (the version number is actually a date 2012, April or 4th month) and the current regular release is 13.04 released in 2013, April. Both are current and will support most of the new hardware. You can download either.

Here's how to go about installing Ubuntu:
    1. Enter your BIOS set up and disable "Secure Boot". Also check in BIOS your SATA mode, there will be three options, IDE, RAID, AHCI. Ideally it should be AHCI. If its RAID then get back here and tell us you have RAID.
    2. Check if you have UEFI enabled. It will be. We are just making sure.
    3. Disable FAST BOOT/Quick Boot.

If you Want to dual boot then use Windows disk management to shrink your partition to make space for ubuntu, about 50GB should do. Do NOT create any partition just leave the space as 'unallocated'.

4. This assumes you have UEFI. Boot with Ubuntu install Disk -> "Try Ubuntu". If you run into "Black Screen" kind a situation then you must use 'NOMODESET": http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1613132
    5. From "Try ubuntu" will be greeted by a working ubuntu desktop. Establish connection and check if other hardware is working. IF all is good then Open disk management utility, GPARTED.
    6. Using Gparted delete all partitions (Before you do this Back up all your data). If you want to dual boot then skip this step.

** When installing as Dual-Boot just select "install alongside Windows" during installation at the " Installation Type" dialog and that should do.

7. Create New partitions with GPARTED:
    # 250-300 MiB FAT32 , put a "boot" flag on this partition. This for EFI.
    # 25-30GB Ext4
    # 25-30GB Ext4
    # all the remaining GB Ext4 (this is to store your DATA, you can create more partitions if you need but formatted as ext4)
    # 2-4GB SWAP (If you want 'hibernate' function then SWAP should be equal to or more than your RAM in GiB not GB.)

Apply all changes in Gparted. Close Gparted.

8. From desktop "Install Ubuntu".
    9. At the dialog which says 'Installation Type" choose 'SOMETHING ELSE' to manually direct your installation.
    10. Select you first 25-30GB ext4 partition and click 'Change'... and use "/" as mountpoint.
    11. Continue with your installation. When finisthed Reboot as instructed.

If you run into any problems when booting, ie if Uubntu does not boot then you may have to use BOOT REPAIR... Boot repair when run scans your partitions for any errors and offers "Recommended Repair". That sure should take care of any boot issues.

Good Luck.
    Well, I followed steps 1-5 and am now testing out Ubuntu! Thanks so much for your help; I'm not sure I ever would've figure it out on my own! I have not done any of the Windows Disk Management or Gparted stuff yet... Do I need to allocate space in Windows prior to fully installing Ubuntu or can I do that now?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

If dual booting, I suggest using Windows disk tools to shrink Windows and reboot a couple of times. It will want to run chkdsk and make repairs for its now size.
    Then you can use gparted to create partitions. Again if dual booting you use the existing efi partition that Windows has. You can only have one efi partition per hard drive and all installed systems install boot folders into that one efi partition.
    Then you can use gparted to create partitions, and manual install to format partitions and specify mount points / , /home etc.
    UEFI boot install & repair info - Regularly Updated :
    https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to change to [Solved] when/if answered completely.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast