Thread: Should have Pre-alerts for Ubuntu Installation & Risky TestDisk Packages, Sayonana

Beans

Angry Should have Pre-alerts for Ubuntu Installation & Risky TestDisk Packages, Sayonana

With reference to this http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2144461 , my laptop is now sacrificed after trying out ubuntu in 2 days.

Last month, I thought of buying a new laptop with ubuntu, this bitter experience had held me back.

Ubuntu installation should have the pre-alerts of possible damage with advanced preparation info for users on the screen when using partition slider, not ideally claimed as easy to install without risk.

I'm wondering why the testdisk 1.63 executables could damage my motherboard / BIOS / Chip and why no prompting after clicking the executables except the system was getting slower and slower until I restarted then no longer bootable to POST / BIOS, auto turn off and then auto on again and finally stays off. I unplugged battery, reseated RAM & HD, pressing down power button for 1 minute without power, none is workable. I suspected the testdisk executables were running behind causing abnormal loads to the hardwares and finally destroyed them like some viral behaviours.

Ubuntu and its softwares seem unsafe with high risk, not worth a try on my new laptop anymore, this 2-day experience is totally a nightmare. I still couldn't believe the Linux Testdisk 1.63 had killed my board / chip / BIOS with such abnormal behaviours. Next time, if you come across slowness after clicking some executables without any prompts in ubuntu, beware of possible hardware failures after restart. Something might be working behind and ready to destroy.

Forever Goodbye To Ubuntu, I really suffered a lot from trying you with such a big price of sacrificing my whole laptop

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 15.10 Wily Werewolf

Re: Should have Pre-alerts for Ubuntu Installation & Risky TestDisk Packages, Sayonan

Did you try booting without the HD installed?
    My guess is that your HD has just died of natural causes.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Re: Should have Pre-alerts for Ubuntu Installation & Risky TestDisk Packages, Sayonan

Thread moved to Ubuntu, Linux and OS Chat.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

you have man pages and instructions for every programme (if not there is at least a readme file). not sure why you needed to run testdisk, if all was ok with your disk in the first place.

furthermroe it is possibel that tthe mess is only made on disk and that it might be able to repair it (e.g. booting without disk and then mounting it and repairing it with system tools).
    Easy to understand Ubuntu manual with lots of pics: http://ubuntu-manual.org/
    Do i need antivirus/firewall in linux?
    User friendly disk backup: Redobackup

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

The reason why there are no warnings against using Testdisk is because it doesn't touch your BIOS or make any modifications to your motherboard.

If your computer is dead, it has nothing to do with Testdisk or Ubuntu. Software can't kill hardware, except maliciously.