Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 5.1 DD option not available

Beans

Re: XFI Driver Install

i did find this, but i have no idea how to do this.

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/DigitalAC-3Pulseaudio

Beans

aparently i am not the only one. can someone dumb this down for me so i can do the same?

http://mattillingworth.wordpress.com...-ubuntu-12-04/

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

The guide you found looks quite straightforward, which ones are the problematic steps for you?

Beans
    Distro

Furthermore, when you select the correct card in alsamixer you should check the sliders and make sure that the channels are there and that their volume is not set to zero, you could post a screenshot of the alsamixer window for the 5.1 soundcard in order to have an idea of what the situation is.
    Also, in pavucontrol you should select the correct output (in the third tab, there's a drop down menu) and then proceed to the Configuration tab and select one of the 5.1 option.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by marianoa View Post
    Furthermore, when you select the correct card in alsamixer you should check the sliders and make sure that the channels are there and that their volume is not set to zero, you could post a screenshot of the alsamixer window for the 5.1 soundcard in order to have an idea of what the situation is.
    Also, in pavucontrol you should select the correct output (in the third tab, there's a drop down menu) and then proceed to the Configuration tab and select one of the 5.1 option.
    I have tried all of that. All channels are on, but everything is either digital 2.0 or Analog 5.1 not digital 5.1. The configuration tab has no option for digital 5.1. Supposidely, the a52 fixes this issue and then adds the digital 5.1 option.

Beans

The guide you found looks quite straightforward, which ones are the problematic steps for you?
    I am just unsure of how to type the actual code in the terminal. It appears to be straightforwad, but should I write this in a file editor, notepad, or directly into the terminal? Also, some of the lines require a prefix, ex. sudo ... I am not familiar enough with Linux code to know what to write. I guess I need a dumbed down version of the text for typing exactly what I need to do.

Also, it says I need to add text to the /etc/asound.conf file, but how do I do that?

Example,
    do I type this verbatum, or are there commands I should be typing in front of each line? Also, why the carrage returns? Is that a pasting issue or is that the way the code has to be formated?

pcm.a52 {
    @args [CARD]
    @args.CARD {
    type string
    }
    type rate
    slave {
    pcm {
    type a52
    bitrate 448
    channels 6
    card $CARD
    }
    rate 48000 #required somehow, otherwise nothing happens in PulseAudio
    }
    }
    Last edited by rdksek844; May 15th, 2013 at 11:37 AM.

Beans
    Distro

Ok, I'll try to walk you through the steps of the guide

1) in a terminal execute the command
    Code:
    gksu gedit /etc/asound.conf
    you'll be required to enter your password since the file you're trying to create/edit is in a system directory.

2) paste the code
    Code:
    pcm.a52 {
      @args [CARD]
      @args.CARD {
        type string
      }
      type rate
      slave {
        pcm {
          type a52
          bitrate 448
          channels 6
          card $CARD
        }
      }
    }
    in the text editor, save the file and close the editor. It's necessary that you respect the code formatting (newlines in the right places).

3) Then there's a series of commands that you have to execute in the terminal, the ones starting with sudo are the ones that may require your password. Copy-pasting the commands in the terminal and executing them should work just fine. Mind that the ";" in the terminal marks the end of a command and can be used to execute a series of commands (one after the other, not simultaneously) typing them on a single line. If you will have to use the "libtoolize" section of the guide, I suggest you to execute the commands one by one in order to be able to understand where a possible problem comes from.

Let me know if it goes well

Beans

Ok, I'll try to walk you through the steps of the guide

1) in a terminal execute the command
    Code:
    gksu gedit /etc/asound.conf
    you'll be required to enter your password since the file you're trying to create/edit is in a system directory.

2) paste the code
    Code:
    pcm.a52 {
      @args [CARD]
      @args.CARD {
        type string
      }
      type rate
      slave {
        pcm {
          type a52
          bitrate 448
          channels 6
          card $CARD
        }
      }
    }
    in the text editor, save the file and close the editor. It's necessary that you respect the code formatting (newlines in the right places).

3) Then there's a series of commands that you have to execute in the terminal, the ones starting with sudo are the ones that may require your password. Copy-pasting the commands in the terminal and executing them should work just fine. Mind that the ";" in the terminal marks the end of a command and can be used to execute a series of commands (one after the other, not simultaneously) typing them on a single line. If you will have to use the "libtoolize" section of the guide, I suggest you to execute the commands one by one in order to be able to understand where a possible problem comes from.

Let me know if it goes well

Great, thanks for taking the time to walk me through it. I will take a shot at it tonight.

Beans

well, i followed the instructions to the letter. i even received the same error message and had to run the same libtoolize tool and i did the setup steps as defined within pavucontrol and sound control. i finally got a 5.1 option, but there isnosound at all. if i select digital 2.0 i get the same sound as before, but again if i switch back to 5.1 digital, nothing.

what now?

Beans

Actually i was able to get it working. There were two 5.1 dd options in the configuration menu. I had to choose the second one.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast