Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: [rant]Ubuntu hipsters? Really?

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

[rant]Ubuntu hipsters? Really?

OK, i've heard people bashing Mac users for being hipsters, but now i read about Ubuntu hipsters all over the place. So now i see all types of memes going around, from 'u use windows, that's mainstream, i use ubuntu', to 'u use ubuntu, that's so mainstream, i installed slackware'. What? And now it has become increasingly easy to call anyone who doesn't do things like 98% people do, hipster. I mean, i do, admitedly, as i'm getting older, feel an always greater urge to fit in and be less unusual, or to be casual in that respect, but what. Maybe some people don't play ProEvolution Soccer all day, and like their computer not slowing down from browsing and movie watching only, being responsive and not crashing. And now i'm a hipster?

Jeez, the world's out of control.
    Last edited by aykoola; May 12th, 2013 at 11:44 PM.
    "Sometimes you just have to pee in the sink." - Charles Bukowski

Beans

Re: [rant]Ubuntu hipsters? Really?

^hipster

ibjsb4 is offline Ubuntu addict and loving it
    Beans

but now i read about Ubuntu hipsters all over the place
    No links, it didn't happen

Beans
    Distro

haha, y u so funny

here's a quick couple i found this week:

edit:had to remove the links, sorry.
    Last edited by aykoola; May 13th, 2013 at 12:14 AM.
    "Sometimes you just have to pee in the sink." - Charles Bukowski

ibjsb4 is offline Ubuntu addict and loving it
    Beans

Well I guess me (or is it meme) a hipster too

Beans
    Hidden!

Who cares? It's just an OS. It's an environment to get work done.
    That's what she said.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Quote Originally Posted by aykoola View Post
    OK, i've heard people bashing Mac users for being hipsters, but now i read about Ubuntu hipsters all over the place. So now i see all types of memes going around, from 'u use windows, that's mainstream, i use ubuntu', to 'u use ubuntu, that's so mainstream, i installed slackware'. What? And now it has become increasingly easy to call anyone who doesn't do things like 98% people do, hipster. I mean, i do, admitedly, as i'm getting older, feel an always greater urge to fit in and be less unusual, or to be casual in that respect, but what. Maybe some people don't play ProEvolution Soccer all day, and like their computer not slowing down from browsing and movie watching only, being responsive and not crashing. And now i'm a hipster?

Jeez, the world's out of control.
    We used to be called Beatniks....then Hippies... Nerds... Oh well.. makes little difference. It's about being happy.
    Warprunner
    This is one race of people for whom psychoanalysis is of no use whatsoever.
    ...Sigmund Freud (about the Irish)

Beans

Clive Sinclair, a household name in the UK in the 1980s/1990s on account of the ZX81, the ZX Spectrum and the C5 had this to say about games:
    Games are a problem you solve. I have real problems in my life to solve. I don't need games.
    That's exactly how I feel about high maintenance distros/OS like Gentoo, Arch and FreeBSD. I don't say you shouldn't use them - or that you'd be stupid for doing so - but I would wonder what your priorities were.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by iamkuriouspurpleoranj View Post
    That's exactly how I feel about high maintenance distros/OS like Gentoo, Arch and FreeBSD. I don't say you shouldn't use them - or that you'd be stupid for doing so - but I would wonder what your priorities were.
    Maybe I'm too young to be a hipster. I prefer to run applications, not the operating system. So I guess a hipster is one who prefers to tinker with the OS, and for whom the applications are secondary.

Beans

I don't use Linux because Windows is mainstream. I just use it because I find it to be nearly impossible to program in Windows.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast