Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Grumbling again about Linux

Beans

Re: Grumbling again about Linux

To Kevdog,
    You asked why I want to run Ubuntu. Well exactlu 5 years ago I was playing with Ubuntu (Hardy Heron) but I and into trouble trying to get a dual monitor runing. I ended up messing with the xconf and messed up the install and went back to Windows. Running on one screen gave me a good taste of Ubuntu, though. B4 I die, I gotta try again.

I posted something back then. The discussion went like this:

Re: Hardy Dual Monitor (dual head) with nvidia GeForce 9800 card

Back-up your xorg.conf file in case it got messed up and you have to revert to the currently working one:

Code:
    sudo cp /etc/X11/xorg.conf /etc/X11/xorg.conf.bak
    Next, run nvidia-settings with sudo:

Code:
    sudo nvidia-settings
    Click "X Server Display Configuration" on the left pane. Here you can set-up dual screens (it will take some experimenting to get what you want and unfortunately, I don't think it's not the most intuitive application).

Once you are satisfied with the results, click "Save to X Configuration File", quit nvidia-settings, and reboot your PC.

Beans

Thanks to all who have responded. The version where the network didn't work was 12.04.2. I decided to go with the 13.1 (or later) and go to an Installfest which someone suggested. I started to do it myself again, but (remember I almost lost my Windows 8 install) got hung up on the questions about partitions and drive names and lettering. I'm just too slow to understand this by myself. Several years ago I remember using Grub and GPT but I'd rather install Linux in a roomful of geeks who know far more than I do about Linux. I used to be a serious DOS and Windows geek in my younger years.

The installfest will be in 3 weeks so I won't be posting anything until after that. I might still log-in here to read the posts and glean what I can.

What I didn't mention before is that I want to completely migrate to Ubuntu. Completely means dragging my wife along. So that means everything that she currently is using has to be available to her unless it's a trivial application. I already use Thunderbird and Libre Office, so I'm on top of that. I'll probably use Firefox for Internet (I should start now, I suppose) and use Wine to run other favorites like the MS Spider and Freecell. Substitutes will not be acceptable to her. She just doesn't understand my changing things on the computer, so substitutes have to ge good. Real good. She cooks, feeds and clothes me. I don't want her to change what I'm used to.

I appreciate all your kind comments and thoughtful suggestions.

Old Martian (Fred)
    Ohio, US

Beans
    Hidden!

I have the feeling you think Linux is untrustable (please excuse me if I am wrong), but the LHC (Large Hadron Collider) won't be able to analyze zillions of collisions without the help of Linux.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Now is a difficult time for Linux users in terms of new machines. There is a switch underway from "MSDOS" type BIOS and hard drive formatting to UEFI, GPT and Secure Boot. The old standards had their limitations and foibles but the limitations and foibles were well understood. The newer standards less so and manufacturers seem to not be on the 'same page' yet. Kinda late for oldmartian but if I were needing a new machine to run Linux today, I'd be looking for a notebook running Windows 7. They're still sold but not at 'big box' stores.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Oldmartian View Post
    ... So that means everything that she currently is using has to be available to her unless it's a trivial application. ... Substitutes will not be acceptable to her.
    Depending on what she's currently using, that may not be realistic. WINE works well for a few applications, but (in my experience) not so well for most applications.

But if you need help finding close alternatives, ask.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Make sure your hardware (especially video and wireless) is supported BEFORE and you will have total usability afterwards Most OEM systems were designed with Windows in mind and not Linux. Can't fault the penguin for that.
    clear && echo paste url and press enter; read paste; (youtube-dl $paste) | zenity --progress --title="" --text "Downloading, please wait" --auto-close --pulsate && ans=$(zenity --file-selection); gnome-terminal -x mplayer "$ans"

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by Dave_L View Post
    Depending on what she's currently using, that may not be realistic. WINE works well for a few applications, but (in my experience) not so well for most applications.

But if you need help finding close alternatives, ask.
    I agree with Dave about WINE....

my job requires me to take on-line H & S training to retain my HAzWOPER certification, but the
    training site ONLY supports IE 8/9....

I have installed WIN XP in a VM & that satisfies that requirement nicely....that would also keep
    the Wife, and YOU by default, HAPPY!!!

all WIN APP's run just as if they are in a WIN box...

check out Virtual Box...

Tommy
    Registered Linux User # 529389
    Arch Linux, Linux Mint 18 Sara, Fedora 25 Linux
    my improved web page http://users.gilanet.com/~tfrost

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Running a Win7 VM in VirtualBox is a possibility. You might even try using "seamless" mode where both operating systems share the desktop. When I run in this mode, I configure Win7 to put its taskbar at the top of the screen leaving my Kubuntu panel at the bottom. Then to run a Windows app, I move my mouse to the top of the screen and pick it from Windows taskbar. This might be too much clutter for your wife, though. What are the "absolutely must have" applications on her list?
    If you ask for help, do not abandon your request. Please have the courtesy to check for responses and thank the people who helped you.

Blog · Linode System Administration Guides · Android Apps for Ubuntu Users

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123