View Poll Results: Alien RACES or SPECIES?

Voters
21. You may not vote on this poll
  • Species

6 28.57%
  • Race

3 14.29%
  • both (cos it varies... plz explain)

11 52.38%
  • Neither (again, pl explain

1 4.76%
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: species or race?

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: species or race?

Quote Originally Posted by forrestcupp View Post
    That's just one example of people who are screwed up with their idea of what race means. Just because Nazis and skinheads have a twisted view of what race means doesn't mean it has to be offensive. That's almost like thinking all postal workers kill people because one went "postal" once.

You're mistaking race for meaning species. Of course it's wrong to look at people who are different as being a different species. Here's one of Webster's definitions of race:

3. c : a category of humankind that shares certain distinctive physical traits
    Youve just proved my point for me, thanks. Heritage is cultural. Race is physical. Nazis and skinheads are proud only because they are white. Other people are proud not because of the physical features of their people, but because of other cultural reasons. This is why race is such a ridiculous word.

Beans
    Distro
    Hardy Heron (Ubuntu Development)

Quote Originally Posted by whatthefunk View Post
    Youve just proved my point for me, thanks. Heritage is cultural. Race is physical. Nazis and skinheads are proud only because they are white. Other people are proud not because of the physical features of their people, but because of other cultural reasons. This is why race is such a ridiculous word.
    Like I said before. I've known plenty of black people who were proud of being black, plenty of Native Americans who were proud of being Native American, and plenty of Asians who were proud of what they look like. Sure, a lot of it is cultural, but that's not all there is to it. If you're offended by what you look like, then I'm sorry for you.

Like Lisati said, we're all people. But thank God we're not all cookie cutter people. I'm glad for the differences. If someone starts calling people "breeds", that's a different story.
    Today you are You, that is truer than true. There is no one alive who is Youer than You. - Dr. Seuss

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

The terms "race" and "species" belong to different scientific disciplines. "Species" is a term in biology, whereas "race" is a term in anthropology. Context needs to dictate the correct terminology.
    2B||!2B=?
    -William Shakespeare

Beans

Who you gonna offend? E.T.?

Beans

Both, species for the types as a whole and race as distinct or identifiable group within the species based on similar biological criteria based on social perceptions and constructs. I don't really see why you should omit the terms and concepts since in an intergalactic world there would most certainly be species out there like ourselves that embrace such concepts. In the vastness of space there is indeed no limit to the vastness of stupidity and misunderstanding that would certainly make some some interesting epic drama.

I don't see any species of any number or intelligence to be completely homogeneous in their culture, attitudes, and opinions and thus race is still something that is sadly still significant just as is creed, ethnicity, class, etc. Just an observation one should note if they truly want to their fictional world to have some depth of reality to it.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by Faolan84 View Post
    I don't see any species of any number or intelligence to be completely homogeneous in their culture, attitudes, and opinions...
    You haven't met the Borg as yet I presume

Beans

From Wikipedia:

In biology, races are distinct populations within the same species and does not apply to genetic differences but phenotype.

Yes, it is heavily (negatively) connotated, but race is actually a scientific concept (without ascribing inherent value or non-value).
    If you are writing a sci-fi novel, maybe the whole discourse about race has evolved to a more transcendental point - so that the word could be used again

Alas, I don't want to alter your content

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by forrestcupp View Post
    Like I said before. I've known plenty of black people who were proud of being black, plenty of Native Americans who were proud of being Native American, and plenty of Asians who were proud of what they look like. Sure, a lot of it is cultural, but that's not all there is to it. If you're offended by what you look like, then I'm sorry for you.

Like Lisati said, we're all people. But thank God we're not all cookie cutter people. I'm glad for the differences. If someone starts calling people "breeds", that's a different story.
    But the O.P. is talking about other life forms, not Homo Sapiens. To uneducated me, a "breed" seems very similar to "race". For instance, domestic cats are all members of the Felis Catus species. There are considerable differences in appearance and 'personality' within that genus and species but all are recognizable as Felis Catus. There are certain characteristics that qualify an individual as belonging to a breed or race. There are also a good many hybrids.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123