Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Where can I get a legacy driver for a HD 4870 Graphics card for Ubuntu 12.04 64 bit?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Where can I get a legacy driver for a HD 4870 Graphics card for Ubuntu 12.04 64 b

what did i just put in there look at the post

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Re: Where can I get a legacy driver for a HD 4870 Graphics card for Ubuntu 12.04 64 b

While your answer made perfect sense to Temujin, Mark Phelps, you and me, my concern is that a newer user will likely be less familiar with kernel versions than even their version of Ubuntu. But he might understand the difference between 12.04, 12.04.1 and 12.04.2.

Your answer was correct, of course. But it might not be clear to a newer user. My response was a clarification.
    Last edited by QIII; May 13th, 2013 at 10:53 PM.
    Please read The Forum Rules and The Forum Posting Guidelines
    My Blog
    A thing discovered and kept to oneself must be discovered time and again by others. A thing discovered and shared with others need be discovered only the once.
    This universe is crazy. I'm going back to my own.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Code:
    I have the two following reasons I do not recommend the scripts that  downgrade X Server, patch the kernel and install the legacy driver:

1.  None of us knows for certain what will happen in future upgrades or updates that will conflict with or cause dependency problems with the changes.

2.  12.04 and 12.04.1 are supported for another 4 years.  In that time, a  user can enjoy Ubuntu without risking a fatal crash due to the changes.   

Just my two cents.
    i get what you are saying but you know that only draw back linux/ubuntu has is they mess with that dam X.org file. If amd ati is saying here the driver for your card you should be able to install it with out doing all this crap FIX it!!!!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

As frustrating as it may be, Canonical cannot fix a closed source driver.

The Radeon driver developers are making a Herculean effort. That is what the open source community can do.

I am disappointed with AMD/ATI, but they have made a business decision they believe to be in the best commercial interest of their company.

The Linux community, for its part, cannot be held hostage by AMD's actions and simply decide not to move forward.

Further, Ubuntu didn't mess with X. That is the business of the X.Org Foundation.
    Last edited by QIII; May 13th, 2013 at 11:24 PM.
    My Blog
    A thing discovered and kept to oneself must be discovered time and again by others. A thing discovered and shared with others need be discovered only the once.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by QIII View Post
    I have the two following reasons I do not recommend the scripts that downgrade X Server, patch the kernel and install the legacy driver:

1. None of us knows for certain what will happen in future upgrades or updates that will conflict with or cause dependency problems with the changes.

2. 12.04 and 12.04.1 are supported for another 4 years. In that time, a user can enjoy Ubuntu without risking a fatal crash due to the changes.

Just my two cents.

So do u know where i can get Ubuntu 12.04.1? The only version that I see as being available to download is 12.04.2 unless there is a link to 12.04.1 that im not aware of.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Ok i just found a link to 12.04.1. For anyone else having this problem here is the link http://old-releases.ubuntu.com/releases/12.04.1/. I will try this out and report back.

Beans

The Linux community, for its part, cannot be held hostage by AMD's actions and simply decide not to move forward.
    Nonsense! I'm still running Ubuntu 8.04 because I need Catalyst 9-3 to play gamez on my Radeon X600. Everyone else should be held back too!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

I haven't upgraded from Warty.
    My Blog

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate Development Release

I have the two following reasons I do not recommend the scripts that downgrade X Server, patch the kernel and install the legacy driver: ... Just my two cents.
    Thank you for your response.
    Ubuntu 17.04 Mate, Mint 18.1 Mate; MS Win 8.1, MS Win10 Pro.
    Will not respond to PM requests for support -- use the forums.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Ok so I am now on Ubuntu 12.04.1. Just finished installing drivers however I dont know if 3D acceleration is enabled. I ran /usr/lib/nux/unity_support_test -p to see if 3D is enabled and this was my output.

Code:
    robert@hawaii50:~/.local/share/Steam$ /usr/lib/nux/unity_support_test -p
    OpenGL vendor string:   ATI Technologies Inc.
    OpenGL renderer string: ATI Radeon HD 4800 Series        
    OpenGL version string:  3.3.11672 Compatibility Profile Context

Not software rendered:    yes
    Not blacklisted:          yes
    GLX fbconfig:             yes
    GLX texture from pixmap:  yes
    GL npot or rect textures: yes
    GL vertex program:        yes
    GL fragment program:      yes
    GL vertex buffer object:  yes
    GL framebuffer object:    yes
    GL version is 1.4+:       yes

Unity 3D supported:       yes
    So it seemas as if it works but when I installed and ran Steam I ran into this error message:

Code:
    OpenGL GLX context is not using direct rendering, which may cause performance problems.

For more information visit https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=9938-EYZB-7457.

Is there any additional configuration steps I have to perform? Gonna install Team Fortress 2 and see if it works.
    Last edited by sir_robert007; May 14th, 2013 at 11:57 PM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast