Thread: Need help understanding debuild error

Beans

Question Need help understanding debuild error

Hello. I'm trying to package the latest version of Muse (midi sequencing software) via Launchpad. I started with the version in the repository, downloaded the source, edited the debian directory's stuff, copied it to the directory of the new version, and then did the following:

Code:
    dane@orchestrator ~/tmp/muse/muse-2.1.2 $ debuild -S -sa
    parsechangelog/debian: warning:     debian/changelog(l5): badly formatted trailer line
    LINE:  --Dane Mutters <dmutters@gmail.com>  Sat, 11 May 2013 2:12:00 -0800
    parsechangelog/debian: warning:     debian/changelog(l7): found start of entry where expected more change data or trailer
    LINE: muse (2.0~rc2-1) unstable; urgency=low
    parsechangelog/debian: warning:     debian/changelog(l7): found eof where expected more change data or trailer
    This package has a Debian revision number but there does not seem to be
    an appropriate original tar file or .orig directory in the parent directory;
    (expected one of muse_2.1.2.orig.tar.gz, muse_2.1.2.orig.tar.bz2,
    muse_2.1.2.orig.tar.lzma,  muse_2.1.2.orig.tar.xz or muse-2.1.2.orig)
    continue anyway? (y/n) y
     dpkg-buildpackage -rfakeroot -d -us -uc -S -sa
    dpkg-buildpackage: export CFLAGS from dpkg-buildflags (origin: vendor): -g -O2 -fstack-protector --param=ssp-buffer-size=4 -Wformat -Wformat-security
    dpkg-buildpackage: export CPPFLAGS from dpkg-buildflags (origin: vendor): -D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2
    dpkg-buildpackage: export CXXFLAGS from dpkg-buildflags (origin: vendor): -g -O2 -fstack-protector --param=ssp-buffer-size=4 -Wformat -Wformat-security
    dpkg-buildpackage: export FFLAGS from dpkg-buildflags (origin: vendor): -g -O2
    dpkg-buildpackage: export LDFLAGS from dpkg-buildflags (origin: vendor): -Wl,-Bsymbolic-functions -Wl,-z,relro
    parsechangelog/debian: warning:     debian/changelog(l5): badly formatted trailer line
    parsechangelog/debian: warning:     debian/changelog(l7): found start of entry where expected more change data or trailer
    parsechangelog/debian: warning:     debian/changelog(l7): found eof where expected more change data or trailer
    dpkg-buildpackage: error: unable to determine source changed by
    dpkg-buildpackage: source package muse
    dpkg-buildpackage: source version 2.1.2-1
    debuild: fatal error at line 1350:
    dpkg-buildpackage -rfakeroot -d -us -uc -S -sa failed
    Debuild doesn't ask me for my gpg password, and (as you can see) won't create the .changes file I need to upload to Launchpad. What do I do? What does this error mean?

I can post any file in the debian directory, as needed, but since they're lengthy, I'll refrain unless asked.

I'll appreciate any help you can provide!
    Last edited by DaneM; May 11th, 2013 at 11:30 AM. Reason: Solved!

hakermania is offline Τώρα ξέρεις τι γράφω εδώ!
    Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Need help understanding debuild error

the debian/changelog file seems to be corrupt, according to the error messages.

Beans

Thanks for the (fast!) reply, hakermania.

I found the problem! I had to change this:

Code:
     --Dane Mutters <dmutters@gmail.com>  Sat, 11 May 2013 2:12:00 -0800
    to this:

Code:
     -- Dane Mutters <dmutters@gmail.com>  Sat, 11 May 2013 2:12:00 -0800
    (Add a space after the "--")

Holy cow, that's sensitive!

Thanks for the tip, hakermania! Definitely the fastest solution I've yet had on a forum!

Beans
    Distro

Glad to help, but, in order to avoid losing so much time on stuff like this learn to read the error messages, it didn't take me more than 5 seconds

Beans

Where can I learn how to read the errors? I searched the web for an hour (quite unfruitfully) before posting here.

Beans
    Distro

Just read the output of the command that you posted there, and try to find the important bits:
    Code:
    dane@orchestrator ~/tmp/muse/muse-2.1.2 $ debuild -S -sa
    This package has a Debian revision number but there does not seem to be
    an appropriate original tar file or .orig directory in the parent directory;
    (expected one of muse_2.1.2.orig.tar.gz, muse_2.1.2.orig.tar.bz2,
    muse_2.1.2.orig.tar.lzma,  muse_2.1.2.orig.tar.xz or muse-2.1.2.orig)
    continue anyway? (y/n) y
     dpkg-buildpackage -rfakeroot -d -us -uc -S -sa
    dpkg-buildpackage: export CFLAGS from dpkg-buildflags (origin: vendor): -g -O2 -fstack-protector --param=ssp-buffer-size=4 -Wformat -Wformat-security
    dpkg-buildpackage: export CPPFLAGS from dpkg-buildflags (origin: vendor): -D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2
    dpkg-buildpackage: export CXXFLAGS from dpkg-buildflags (origin: vendor): -g -O2 -fstack-protector --param=ssp-buffer-size=4 -Wformat -Wformat-security
    dpkg-buildpackage: export FFLAGS from dpkg-buildflags (origin: vendor): -g -O2
    dpkg-buildpackage: export LDFLAGS from dpkg-buildflags (origin: vendor): -Wl,-Bsymbolic-functions -Wl,-z,relro
    dpkg-buildpackage: error: unable to determine source changed by
    dpkg-buildpackage: source package muse
    dpkg-buildpackage: source version 2.1.2-1
    debuild: fatal error at line 1350:
    dpkg-buildpackage -rfakeroot -d -us -uc -S -sa failed

Beans

Thanks for trying to explain things.

I'd actually found the warning and error lines and searched for each one in turn. Since I'm pretty new to debuild, expressions like, "found eof where expected more change data" are still pretty foreign to me. I realized my mistake whilst in the process of pasting the changelog output to this forum (because it was different from the other entries)--but I still don't know how a lack of whitespace after two dashes equates to the above errors.

Is there a list of these errors and what they mean, anywhere? That would be immensely helpful!

Beans
    Hidden!

To save yourself from such mistakes, use dch when adding to debian/changelog.

Beans

Ooh, good tip! I'll give that a shot! Thanks, schragge.