Thread: Windows user; worried about key loggers; Why? firefox slow + running apps NOT visible

Beans

Windows user; worried about key loggers; Why? firefox slow + running apps NOT visible

Hi

I'm a windows XP user with a laptop + physical access to my laptop most of the time

I'm worried about *software* keyloggers in general

I have a reasonable anti virus in place, but I do NOT know IF that checks for keyloggers

Recently Firefox has ground to a slow start / slow close and also when I do control + alt + del , I am unable to see running apps in the task manager

What can I do about this

thanks in advance

AT

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu Development Release

Re: Windows user; worried about key loggers; Why? firefox slow + running apps NOT vis

This is a *buntu/Linux forum. I think it would be advisable for you to post your question on a Microsoft related forum. Chances are you'll get more answers is one of those forums.

Beans

Re: Windows user; worried about key loggers; Why? firefox slow + running apps NOT vis

Quote Originally Posted by slickymaster View Post
    This is a *buntu/Linux forum. I think it would be advisable for you to post your question on a Microsoft related forum. Chances are you'll get more answers is one of those forums.
    understand your thoughts

but isn't this area / portion of the forum titled OtherOS ?

Windows assumes the user is an idiot.
    Linux demands proof.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by AdamTudor View Post
    understand your thoughts

but isn't this area / portion of the forum titled OtherOS ?
    Don't get me wrong, I didn't meant to be rude or impolite. If that was the impression you got, for that I apologize.

You are right when you point that Other OS is a sub-forum for other operating systems, but at the same time is advised that "... is not the best place to receive tech support for these OSs/Distros and users should look for official support channels for those systems."

From the sub-forum description:
    Forum: Other OS/Distro Support
    This forum is for the support of other operating systems and other Linux distros. No official Ubuntu supported distro questions should be posted here. Please be aware this is not the best place to receive tech support for these OSs/Distros and users should look for official support channels for those systems.

Beans

Clean installs should be done periodically if using windows. Otherwise it's bound to get slow and infected. Whether or not the person using the computer knows the computer is infected is irrelevant. Outside of a high level power user who knows how the system works internally and monitors closely the registry etc..etc..etc.. it's bound to happen eventually. There is the outside chance that your hardware is going bad too though. Hard to say. Just do a clean install.