Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I'm Destroyed, totally, totally disappointed in this ver.

Beans

Re: I'm Destroyed, totally, totally disappointed in this ver.

That's really annoying. It really does make sense to use "something else", even if it takes a little bit more effort.

Moral of the story: Never send ubiquity to do a man's job.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

tgalati4
    I'm not familiar with the Ubiquity installer, but hitting the "back" button takes you to the previous dialog box, but I'm not sure if the state of the system is preserved. So your initial instinct was "Something Else"--meaning manual partitioning, but instead you chose "I Feel Lucky" instead. That works for Google searches, but unfortunately the installer has no way of knowing what your intentions are. You have to admit, the ubiquity installer is quite efficient at wiping the old operating system.

Logic might suggest that when one uses the back button and doesn't advance - the system shouldn't retain the state. In my mind, by retaining the state, it negates the whole concept of the "Back Button".

IMHO when one of the options implies "I feel lucky", that alone questions the quality of the installer. No OS installer should include such an option. Especially, when considering new users who may not understand/realize the associated risks (not saying the OP is a new user). Obviously, there's no associated risk with a Google search other than a bad search result. But for an OS install? Seriously.

If the installer isn't capable of "knowing" the intentions, it shouldn't continue the process - it should request additional input. Or at the least, halt the process and provide feedback as to why it halted.

Just my $0.02
    "All change is not growth, as all movement is not forward."
    Ellen Glasgow

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Just curious -- what are you guys using for disk cloning?? I'm not talking about rsync or similar such programs that I use for backup -- I'm talking partition cloning!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Clonezilla or Ghost for me.
    Come to #ubuntuforums! We have cookies! | Basic Ubuntu Security Guide

Tomorrow's an illusion and yesterday's a dream, today is a solution...

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

My advice is to manually partition your drives during installation rather that trust things to ubiquity. I've dual-booted off and on for about 10 years and never had a problem.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by drawkcab View Post
    My advice is to manually partition your drives during installation rather that trust things to ubiquity. [...]
    Same here...

If the dual-boot machine is going to be infected with winders:

• Manually partition using GParted
    • Install winders
    • Hide the winders partition(s) using GParted
    • Install Linux
    • Unhide the winders partition(s)

Works every time!
    Intel ® P4 Extreme Edition 3.4 (Gallatin) || DFI ® LanParty PRO875B rev B1
    Crucial ® Ballistix Tracer PC4000 1GB || Mountain Mods U2-UFO Opti-1203
    XFX 7600GT 560M AGP (PV-T73A-UDF3) || Corsair HX520W Modular PSU

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

it could be though that the whole thing got messed up becuase of enabled encryption. so it might be worth posting this in detail on launchpad or something or perhaps in forums first. perhaps it is somethign wrong in installer.

or perhaps if one encrypts the main root of disk get's modified or something. i am not exactly sure how these encryption work. but you have to admit that this info should be written somewhere on local disk (i.e. that there are multiple partition and that some are encrypted and usign such and such key).
    Easy to understand Ubuntu manual with lots of pics: http://ubuntu-manual.org/
    Do i need antivirus/firewall in linux?
    User friendly disk backup: Redobackup

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by kevdog View Post
    Just curious -- what are you guys using for disk cloning?? I'm not talking about rsync or similar such programs that I use for backup -- I'm talking partition cloning!
    I only use cloning for non-Linux systems. Then I use PartImage.

I find it quicker to restore from backups, run a few grub commands from a liveCD and be done than to spend all the storage and extra time cloning entire partitions. Since PartImage doesn't understand EXT4, this has become more the case. If you stay with EXT2 of EXT3, it does understand the format and will be much more efficient. Boot Repair has made this step trivial.

I can't speak for recent versions of other disk cloning tools. I tried Ghost and Clonezilla yrs ago, but found both of those to be less than intuitive.

Beans

I use an easier version of Clonezilla called Redo Backup with same engine under the hood.
    Much easier and less confusing for simple partition backup.

My setup is triple boot Win7,Winxp & Linux. Linux has / and separate /home & Swap and grub loaded at / root as don't want to mess up win7 loader. And use EasyBCD to add the linux grub to the Win7 loader. Otherwise I would have to always backup the Win7 partition to save the bootloader for restoring. My way is end up with 2 boot menu's but simplifies backing up one less 35 gb partition. As bootloader is backed up when / root is backed up. Also changing distro's I don't have to touch win7 loader as just points to whatever grub is there on root.

Using it I do a complete all 3 OS's 5 partitions backup to external usb drive. Then individual backup Win7 partition and Individual Linux partitions of / and /home partitions backups. Makes it easy to try out new distro's as can clean install to my Linux partitions with the backup ready to restore if something goes wrong. Once I install a new distro and install and setup my desktop to working for me with apps and tweaks. Then will back that up also. As a results have many distro's to working desktop in about 15 mins can switch to Ubuntu,Linux Mint Cinnamon or KDE,Voyager12.10 xfce,Bodhi,Funduntu,etc...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12