Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ubuntu mail server - newbie

Beans

Ubuntu mail server - newbie

hi all,

how is everyone? im new to ubuntu, i took the plunge about a week ago on my main PC, bye to win 7 and went over to Zorin, which i absolutly love, because of this i thought i would setup my server with ubuntu also.
    the server so far has been setup with 2 domains hosted on it, and all is going well, so my next step is to get a mail server installed, after a lot of searching and about a day of reading tutorials, im still at a loss,
    i want emails for multiple domains (which are being hosted, theres 2 atm but i will be hosting a 3rd shortly)

ive gone through a couple of the tutorials ive read and they havent worked, either files are missing or they are not very clear on where to insert new code in conf files,

has any one done what im trying to do? if so could someone point me in the direction of a good working tutorial

many thanks in advance

Ade

Beans

mail server help - newbie :)

hi all,

how is everyone? im new to ubuntu, i took the plunge about a week ago on my main PC, bye to win 7 and went over to Zorin, which i absolutly love, because of this i thought i would setup my server with ubuntu also.
    the server so far has been setup with 2 domains hosted on it, and all is going well, so my next step is to get a mail server installed, after a lot of searching and about a day of reading tutorials, im still at a loss,
    i want emails for multiple domains (which are being hosted, theres 2 atm but i will be hosting a 3rd shortly)

ive gone through a couple of the tutorials ive read and they havent worked, either files are missing or they are not very clear on where to insert new code in conf files,

has any one done what im trying to do? if so could someone point me in the direction of a good working tutorial

many thanks in advance

Ade

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Re: mail server help - newbie :)

There are "prepared solutions" like Zimbra or iRedmail which will install all for you. iRedmail will even install OpenLDAP for the user data. But if you already have apache2 running live websites on the same machine, I don't know if the install process will touch some of your existing apache2 settings.

For example, if I'm not wrong iRedmail install instructions recommend it's best to run it on a "brand new" server, without anything else already installed.

http://www.zimbra.com/
    http://www.iredmail.org/

Note that they both have commercial paid versions, but also free oepn source versions.

Apart from that, if you want to give postfix with virtual domains and virtual mailboxes a shot, this is one tutorial that I recently followed and it worked more or less as it is:
    http://www.howtoforge.com/virtual-us...untu-12.04-lts

The mailbox quota part I skipped since there was still no patch for the latest postfix version but if you don't care about that it doesn't matter.
    Darko.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Ubuntu 18.04 LTS 64bit

Beans

Re: Ubuntu mail server - newbie

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: mail server help - newbie :)

Ive used both iRedMail and Zimbra (which im using right now).

I dont use Zimbra and apache on the same server because I use VMs (KVM) with my server, so I dont have experience setting up Zimbra and apache on the same server, but here is a nice guide on how to accomplish this -> http://wiki.zimbra.com/wiki/ZimbraApache

iRedMail will need a bit of tuning to get working with Apache.
    Initially, iRedMail adds a alias in /etc/apache2/conf.d (which affects ALL Apache VirtualHosts). Unless you want roundcube/iredadmin to be openable with every virtual host, ou will have to migrate that so that it is in the VHost that you want to use for mail administration
    Last edited by sandyd; May 10th, 2013 at 08:57 PM.
    Don't waste your energy trying to change opinions ... Do your thing, and don't care if they like it.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Oh, and Threads Merged
    Please do not create multiple threads on the same topic as it dilutes community effort.

Thanks!
    Don't waste your energy trying to change opinions ... Do your thing, and don't care if they like it.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by sandyd View Post
    Oh, and Threads Merged
    Please do not create multiple threads on the same topic as it dilutes community effort.

Thanks!
    Hiya,
    sorry for double post, i wasn't sure which forum to post in.

i would like to do things myself, but ive spent 2 days on it now and cannot really spend anymore time on it, as i want to do more with my server.

# iredmail or Zimbra
    will these have a web-based login?

many thanks for your replies

Beans
    Distro

If you mean webmail, yes, they do have it. They also have web based administration interface. You can administer the accounts/mailboxes that way.
    Darko.
    Ubuntu 18.04 LTS 64bit

Beans

ok thanks, after another 4 hours of not seeming to get anywhere (with installing manually) im trying to install iRedMail
    does anyone know how to do this on apache2?

Beans
    Distro

As we already mentioned, iredmail requires installation on brand new OS. It will probably trash your existing apache anyway. It will install everything it needs.

If you intend to keep the apache you have working, I'm not sure how to do that. Your google search will be as good as mine I guess.
    Darko.
    Ubuntu 18.04 LTS 64bit

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast